latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Assistance programs Allen, Simpson, Barren, and Logan County.

Emergency financial assistance programs and resources

The Community Action of Southern Kentucky, Inc. can provide some short term help but they focus on addressing the root causes of poverty. So employment services, job training, and referrals to government assistance are offered.

The federal government Emergency Food and Shelter Program may have grants and funds for food, rent, or energy bills. This is often combined with section 8 vouchers and family self-sufficiency, which is for low-income families in Kentucky, especially single-parents. The center helps with jobs and increasing a client’s income and is run in partnership with Kentucky Housing Corporation (KHC).

Job training is from Adult Education & Job Development. Case managers and the state can help individuals acquire the necessary skills to become self-reliant and sufficient over the long term. This includes Head Start, Senior Services Programs, and more. Basic computer lessons to enhance job development skills are also offered at the agency. Also get information on Dress for Success, which can provide professional work attire.

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps with paying heating and utility bills. Get help for your regular monthly bills, and a crisis component can help when you are faced with a disconnection or run out of fuel.

Child Care Centers are run by Community Action of Southern Kentucky. They can help parents by providing constructive, quality care and meals for children six weeks of age and older, and centers are in Logan and other counties.

A scholarship program helps provide job training or retraining required to help people gain new skills or find a job in counties such as Logan or Simpson. People who want to return to school or continue their education can apply. Scholarship benefits can pay for tuition, fees, or textbooks at a trade/professional program, college/university, or technical school.




Head Start offers education, Disability services for individuals with special needs, Nutrition education, and other Social services to children up to age five and their parents.

Senior centers are around the region in Allen as well as Barren County and other locations. The elderly and their spouses can receive Outreach, Meals, Information and Referral to local services and opportunities, Transportation assistance, and classes.

Weatherization and ATMOS Energy will help people save money from free energy conservation services and improvements. This can include insulation, windows, caulking, and more.

Call Community Action of Southern Kentucky, Inc. at (270) 782-3162. In addition to above, the non-profit is truly focused on housing issues, including help with rent, preventing homelessness, and coordinating security deposit resources. Learn more on Community Action CASOKY programs.

Community Relief Fund supports Barren County. May help the poor, unemployed, distressed and underprivileged. Assistance includes housing and medical needs, free food pantry, vouchers for basic needs, assistance with utilities, transportation, clothing and household items, educational needs, and overnight lodging. 123 E. Washington St., Glasgow, KY, 42141, 270-651-9006

Kentucky Legal Aid covers the entire state. Offers free legal representation and assistance to low income and disadvantaged people. Offers help with elderly rights, housing, health-care access, child support, and other non-criminal matters. Much of the aid is for seniors and the disabled. 270-782-1924. Read more on Kentucky free legal aid.





The Salvation Army supports the needy in Barren County and other counties in the southern part of the state. Provides free hot meals, shelter, clothing and case management to low income people in distress. May have funds for emergency bills too, but is very limited. Telephone - 270-843-3485

Cabinet for Health and Family Services can help people apply for public and government aid in Kentucky, such as food stamps, LIHEAP, WIC, and Head Start. Phone number is 746-7850, or click here for more information on public and government assistance in Kentucky.

Area Safe Space shelter provides low income transitional housing and shelter. Women can use the services, and other support includes clothing, free hot meals, information on grants for paying security deposits, and federal benefits such as WIC or applications for section 8. The goal of the agency is to ensure women in the region, including Simpson and Barren County, are safe. More on Barren River Area Space.

Simpson County Good Samaritan offers vouchers for food, housing and rent payment assistance, utility bill assistance, Transportation and help for prescriptions, including vouchers. 111 South Main Street, Franklin, 42134, dial 586-0276

Regional holiday assistance programs help struggling and/or working poor families. Parents with kids (including single moms and dads) can get help. Everything from a food or meal box along with free Christmas presents are distributed during Christmas and other events. Read more on Christmas help in Simpson and nearby counties.

St Vincent DePaul Society has a thrift store on site and may have emergency financial assistance for rent, utilities, transportation, or work clothes. 296 West Sixth Street, Russellville, 42276, call 726-4009.

Medical care

Community Medical Care is a non-profit organization that offers basic dental, medical and vision care for the low income and uninsured. Prescription assistance and vouchers are also offered to senior citizens. Telephone 270-659-0229

Commonwealth Health Free Clinic – Basic dental and free medical care is provided to those without health insurance who meet income levels. Provides prescription medications for seniors who can’t get help from Medicare. Call the government program at 1-800-345-1220, or click here for free health care.

Kentucky Homeplace Program – Medical bill and health-related assistance for needs such as hearing aids, prescription medications, drugs, eyeglasses, and more. Call 726-8341

Jesus Community Center – Programs include food, gently used or new clothing, job placement and day care. Also offers emergency shelter & continuum care, special needs for veterans, and transitional housing. 635 East Fifth Street, Russellville, 42276, main number is 726-8547

Barren River District Health Department provides community health services, basic care, preventive clinical services, and other support. 1109 State Street, Bowling Green, Kentucky. Call 781-8039 for information.





Other programs, basic needs, and self-sufficiency

Barren River Area Development District has housing counselors that work on mortgages, homelessness, and eviction prevention. The non-profit offers home ownership counseling for low-to-moderate income families. Originates government and private mortgages for these families as well. 177 Graham Avenue, Bowling Green, 42101. Call 781-2381

Comprehensive Family Services offers referrals and similar support. Has details on local non-profits as well. 651-5119

Barren County Senior Center Community Action – Call for free hot noon meals, transportation to appointments, recreation, outreach, nutrition education, friendly visiting, health services, and information on Medicare. 177 A. Mayfield Place, Glasgow, 42141, call 651-6288

Barren River Area Agency on Aging - Coordinates services to meet the needs of the elderly and individual seniors. Also provides support and information for caregivers and grandparents. 177 Graham Avenue, Bowling Green, Kentucky. 1-800-598-2381

Office of Employment & Training – Partners with local employers and non-profit agencies to offer employment and training related services to unemployed and qualified citizens. 803 Chestnut Street, Bowling Green. Call 746-7425


By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site