latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rental assistance Salem and Marion County Oregon.

Find emergency rental and housing assistance across Salem as well as the Marion County region. Several non-profit organizations, charities, churches and government agencies listed below offer funds to qualified low income families. Most of the applicants in Marion County will need to have an eviction notice in order to get help with paying their rent or utility bills. Or applicants need to be seeking in the process of moving into a new home in order to get security deposit assistance, section 8 housing vouchers or financial help for moving costs or first-months rent payments.

Agencies will generally offer a grant to the applicant for any rental expenses or other housing costs due. This will often be combined with case management services, such as landlord or tenant mediation as well as free legal consultations in Salem or affordable apartments. It is always recommended to seek rent help as soon as possible, before falling behind. The primary agencies to contact for information in Marion County Oregon are below, with priority for immediate rent assistance often given to single mothers, the disabled, veterans or seniors. Or more on veteran rent assistance programs.

Mid-Willamette Valley Community Action Agency is located at 615 Commercial Street, NE in Salem. The Housing Assistance Program, or HAP, can provide a government grant for rental expenses or other housing costs. Money can also be used to pay a security deposit. Referrals are needed from other local non-profits.

Emergency, one time funds for paying back rent may be issued. This is low income families in Salem as well as the county, single parents, or senior citizens. Additional funds may be offered for energy bills. Call (503) 585-6232.

Northwest Human Services Crisis Line is for one time aid. Main office is at 1233 Edgewater St NW, Salem, OR 97304.  Families & individuals facing eviction can apply for a one-time emergency  financial assistance to cover a portion of the rent that is past due to a landlord or rental agency. The agency will also offer referrals to low income apartments and other housing services in Marion County. Dial (503) 378-7526.




Salvation Army of Salem and Marion County has multiple locations. Tenants with a pay or quit notice can apply for rent assistance. The non-profit also runs shelter, can place families into transitional housing, and offer free advice. The homeless can also seek funds for first months rent on a new apartment. There may also be free furniture or motel or hotel vouchers for emergency lodging.

The ARCHES Project offers various homeless prevention programs, including for veterans. Whether government grant money to help pay rent or utility bills, or funds to help pay for moving or security deposits, assistance is offered from 615 Commercial NE St, Salem, OR 97301.

They also help people find stable, affordable housing and address budgeting needs. Call for move-in assistance, first months rent or deposit help, loans and even free landlord-tenant mediations. Dial (503) 399-9080, and veterans can apply for housing grants from SSVF as well.

ARCHES homeless prevention and rehousing programs include many components. Some tenants may be given one-time rental help or loans for paying for security deposits or utilities. There are also federally funded resources that subsidize rent, including TBRA. More on Marion County Oregon homeless prevention.

Public Housing Authorities (PHA) offers various low income housing programs, including section 8, home buying services, loans and more. The very low income, disabled, and elderly are the focus. There are also emergency section 8 vouchers too.

  • Salem Housing Authority is at 360 Church St SE, Salem, Oregon 97301. Dial (503) 588-6368.
  • Marion County Housing Authority covers the region outside the city. Address is 2645 Portland Rd NE, Salem, OR 97301. Main number is (503) 798-4170.

Family Promise of the Mid-Willamette Valley offers transitional housing, permanent housing placement, rent help and other resources. Location is 1055 Edgewater St NW, Salem, OR 97304. For referrals or other financial help, call (503) 370-9752.





HOAP is for tenants, low income families, and working poor in Salem only. Renters with an eviction notice can get help, including financial aid. There are also grant programs for tenants, referrals, and ongoing case management from 694 Church NE St, Salem, OR 97301. Phone - (503) 588-5827.

Helping Hands phone number is 503-364-9936. Various emergency financial help programs, including for rent or security deposits. There are vouchers for furniture, motel rooms, interview classes and skills and more aid from 1755 13th St SE, Salem, Oregon 97302.

Legal Aid Services of Oregon - Marion County and Salem Regional Office also has attorneys. Get help applying for section 8 housing vouchers, get advice for discrimination or grant programs, and more. They also help people with eviction or pay or quit notices. Location is 280 Liberty St SE Suite 320, Salem, OR 97301. Call (503) 581-5265.

Mano A Mano Family Center give referrals and free legal aid, including around housing, to immigrants, Spanish speakers, Hispanics and migrant workers. Free consultations from legal clinics are at 2921 Saddle Club St SE, Salem, OR 97317. Call (503) 315-2290.

Oregon Housing and Community Services address is 725 Summer Street, Salem, Oregon 97301. Call (503) 986-6702. The government agency focuses on housing issues in the community, whether home buying or access to affordable homes or apartments. They can also coordinate rapid rehousing and offer referrals.

Non-profit grant programs – The federal government and state of Oregon issue funds to organizations in Marion County. The grants can be used for paying rent to stop evictions or maybe for a utility or rental deposit for a new apartment. Phone number for referrals is 866-698-6155.

St Vincent De Paul Society Emergency Services is a faith based group at 3745 Portland Road NE in Salem. Dial (503) 364-3210 for emergency rental assistance, medical care, and short term housing. The charity will also arrange home visits for the disabled in Marion County.

Another St Vincent De Paul Catholic Parish is at 1010 Columbia NE St, Salem, OR 97301. Whether identification is needed to help lease an apartment, or financial help to pay for rent or security deposits, resources are offered. SVDP is a wide ranging charity with various social services, housing programs, and rent/utility help. Call (503) 364-5672

Benedictine Sisters of Mt. Angel – The charity is located at 840 S Main St. They operate a shelter and provide other housing solutions to the homeless. Referrals to loans, deposit programs, or regional rent assistance programs may be given. Call (503) 845-6141.

Union Gospel Mission Of Salem – The charity will offer homeless prevention advice, referrals to loan programs, and financial aid. The Simonka Place NLF program is based at 5119 River Road NE, Keizer, Oregon 97307, and dial (503) 362-7487 for information. A second location is at 345 Commercial Street NE, Salem, OR 97301, dial (503) 362-3983.

Women At The Well Grace Houses focuses on women, single mothers, etc. as following. Safe homeless shelters, legal aid, motel accommodations and referrals to eventual deport or first months rent help from 1243 Peace Street SE , Salem, OR 97302. The non-profit supports women, children, and domestic violence survivors. Call (971) 600-3627.





St. Joseph Shelter - 925 S Main Street , Mount Angel, OR 97362. The charity focuses on seasonal migrant workers or immigrants, and they can call (503) 845-6147.

Marion County Oregon Veteran's Service Offices address is 700 Summer Street NE, Salem, OR 97301. Call (503) 373-2085. Call for information on homeless shelters, free grant programs, and resources for first months rent or moving assistance. Other housing support for veterans may be for mortgages, food and utility help. They also operate the SSVF - Supportive Services for Veteran Families for Marion County.

THP - Transitional Housing Program is for individuals and families that are homeless. Receive on-going rental assistance, housing placement services, case management, and guidance. This is only for the currently homeless who need initial security deposit or rent help and who are working towards self-sufficiency. It is run in Dallas and Salem Oregon. Call 503-623-8429.


By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page