Marion County Oregon eviction and rapid rehousing.

The Continuum of Care in Marion County is used to stop evictions as well as to rehouse the homeless. There are several agencies that participate in offering this service in the larger Salem Oregon community, and they include ARCHES, Department of Human Resources, and the United Way. The housing solutions solutions available for preventing homeless include, but are not limited to, the following.

-Emergency Solution Grants (ESG) help pay expenses due to landlord or utility companies, such as rental arrears, water bills, or heating.
-Temporary housing for the homeless in Salem includes shelters, free motel vouchers, and overnight lodging at churches.
-Counseling for tenants is available and can include legal aid and/or landlord mediation to stop the eviction.
-Enrollment into any one of a number of HUD resources such as section 8 or Marion County supportive housing for the disabled or seniors.

The assistance available for stopping evictions will vary based on the agency. As an example of how this works, the law firms will not provide financial help. But rather they have attorneys on staff that offer support. Also, the section 8 housing voucher program is for long term stability, and if someone has an eviction notice from a landlord and needs immediate help for their rent, this will not be a good solution.

One of the difficulties in Marion County is the lack of affordable housing. The rental costs for apartments continues to increase, often to unsustainable levels. Most of the residents of the area, especially people living on a fixed or limited income (such as the retired, single moms, or disabled) often struggle to keep up. They may fall behind on their rent or utilities, or can't buy the food their family needs. These eviction prevention programs are targeted at them.

Apply for financial help from ESG. Money is allocated to the non-profits in Marion County as well as Salem from groups such as the United Way. The application process will involve and interview and a close examination of the tenant's financial condition. The staff at the local non-profit will review their income, monthly budget, as well as they need to see a copy of their lease agreement. Other criteria include whether the applicant gets any other benefits (such as disability, section 8, or child support) and what they do with this income.





When funds are allocated in Marion County to stop the eviction, the money is paid directly to the creditor that is owed. This means that cash goes to the landlord for any rental arrears or electric/water company for those bills. In some cases money is not even given to pay the bill but rather a credit is placed on the account in question.

Marion County Oregon short term housing is used as part of the rapid rehousing process. Another requirement is a full commitment from the client to participate in case management. Together these two are used to get a homeless person or family stabilized. Another use of rapid rehousing is to proactively place someone that is to be evicted (and that can't be stopped) into a new home.

The housing mostly involves shelter as well as transitional housing. When those programs are filled to capacity, then and only then may a motel voucher be used. This gets the person off the streets and keeps them safe. It also gives them the time they need to get the skills required to prevent future evictions.

Any homeless client in Marion County needs to take the action required by these non-profits such as ARCHES. They will involve involvement enrollment into budgeting classes and credit repair. Other requirements may include, but are not limited too, job training/placement as well as an ongoing tenant counseling service.




Only when goals have been met will they be given financial aid for paying security or utility deposits or otherwise stopping the eviction from occurring. Or their may be volunteers from local charities in Salem Oregon that can even help them move to a new home.

All of the eviction prevention programs are a hand-up type solution. No agency, whether they are government affiliated or not, are obligated to help any tenant. For more information, or to apply for help, call an agency at 503-399-9080.


By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy