latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Pottawatomie County assistance programs.

Get help with paying bills, rent, foreclosures, and free food in Shawnee and Pottawatomie

Mission Shawnee Inc. - This agency provides a free food pantry (must make an appointment) that is open from 12:00-4:00 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. Free Community meals every Thursday at 11:30 and Sunday at 2:00 pm. There may also be limited financial assistance and a summer lunch program for children. Dial (405) 273-2248, or more information is on their website.

Central Oklahoma Community Action Agency - This non-profit agency may provide the most options and assistance programs to the low income, working poor, unemployed, and elderly in the Pottawatomie County area. The services and programs offered include.

  • Prescription assistance - Help paying for medications, and low cost or free medications from the Oklahoma RX prescription program. Learn more on free medication options.
  • Weatherization programs - This is a federal government funded program that is free to qualified homeowners. Receive free energy saving and conserving updates and improvements to your home. More on weatherization.
  • Rent assistance - Limited funds may be offered to pay rent or arrearage.

Call Central Oklahoma Community Action Agency at (405) 214-4326.

Shawnee Salvation Army ((405) 275-2243) Get assistance for utility help, which is given at most once in a twelve month calendar year.  Also holiday programs are offered, including free food. A clothing distribution site, and receive other assistance such as advice and counseling.

St Benedict SVDPS offers low to moderate income individuals and families numerous assistance programs and services. If qualified, you may be eligible for emergency food items and groceries (usually 2-day supply), emergency utility and cooling bill assistance limited to $25 for first application and $15 each additional application, limited funds and vouchers for prescription medication assistance. (405) 273-5371




First Baptist Church, which is based in Asher Oklahoma and can be reached at (405) 784-5513, may be able to provide free food, clothing, utility assistance, and transient fuel for local Asher residents.

Pottawatomie County holiday programs can assist families living in poverty or those with a short term crisis, such as unemployment. Resources such as Adopt a Family can provide toys and free Christmas presents and other charities serve hot meals or provide food baskets. Click here.

Free health care

Please to turn to for low cost or free medical and health care include Central Oklahoma Community Action Agency. The agency partners with the Stillwater Community Health Center, which provides high quality, low cost or medical services and can also grant prescription medications. The various services are available thanks to the help of volunteer doctors, nurses, and pharmacists in the area. (405) 214-4326. Also try the Pottawatomie County Health Department for information on numerous other health care programs. Dial (405) 273-2157.

Housing assistance programs

Various programs and services are offered by Perkins COEDD. This is a local not for profit organization that provides various housing service. Services offered to qualified individuals include down payment assistance, housing and foreclosure counseling, utilities, home repair, new construction, grant administration review. Call (800) 375-8255

Social services and referrals

In addition to all the resources listed above, case managers from the Community Action Agency work with low income families and seniors on self-sufficiency. This is wide ranging and can include things such as help with finding a job, education, and information on public assistance programs. They are a leading non-profit agency for the entire region, including in Pottawatomie County. Read Community Action Agency of Central Oklahoma.





Food pantry

First Baptist Church of Maud (phone (405) 374-2707 is both an emergency and non-emergency food pantry that is open to the public and those who need help.

Calvary Baptist Church provides a food pantry for residents of Shawnee Oklahoma. There are also Christmas and holiday meal programs. Dial (405) 275-3450.

Living Word Church is another organization to call for food, groceries, produce, and more. Call (405) 275-7240.

Almost 15 other charities as well as social service agencies work to prevent hunger. The primary place to turn to for help is a food pantry. But there are other options as well, such as soup kitchens, SNAP food stamp application sites, and much more. Locate free food pantries in Pottawatomie County.

Credit counseling and foreclosure

Some agencies that cover the county and that you can talk to for information on debt reduction, mortgage assistance, foreclosure prevention, and overall credit counseling include Oklahoma Credit Counselors (800) 737-2933 and Focus Institute ((580) 242-2829)

By Jon McNamara














Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site