Person, Vance, and Warren County assistance programs.
Find churches, charities, or government assistance programs for free stuff or emergency financial assistance. There may be help for rent or mortgage payments or grants to pay security deposits or to pay for gasoline. Or get free groceries from pantries as well as medical or dental care from clinics. Low income families, seniors, the disabled and working poor in Warren, Vance and Person Counties can get help.
Residents can apply for other help too, such as free school supplies, back to school supplies, motel vouchers or Christmas toys for children or teenagers. There are also federal and state government resources available, ranging from LIEAP energy bill grants, SNAP from social services, low income loans, and cash assistance programs.
Financial resources for bills and housing
The Christian Help Center can meet emergency needs of qualified residents. Rent assistance, clothing, free food, shelter, and energy bill help may be offered. Some of the details on these programs are below.
The clothing bank may be turned to a couple times per month for gently used items, while the Help Center pantry has non-perishable foods such as canned meats, vegetables, peanut butter, sugar, pastas, cereal, flour, meats and sugar. An on site soup kitchen is available to serve a hot meal each weekday at noon.
Financial aid is very limited and comes with qualification. Christian Help Center may be able to help with utility or heating bills. This is available from a combination of loans or in some cases, cash grants. If someone is facing an eviction or homelessness, then get information on rent and housing programs. Many of the programs are available from referrals to places in Person or other counties. In some cases the non-profit may have cash assistance, grants, or direct aid, such as nearby shelters. The main center is at 122 Depot Street, Roxboro, NC 27573, call (336) 599-6070, or click more information Christian Help Center.
Salvation Army centers are located in the region, including Vance as well as Person County. They are part of the nation's largest non-profit agency for the unemployed, struggling, and less fortunate. The centers may have free emergency food from pantries as well as financial assistance for paying bills. The Salvation Army may have Christmas assistance (from free toys from Angel Tree or meals), back to school supplies, and transitional housing programs.
The faith based, non-denominational agency provides general assistance with utilities or rent, medicine, clothing and food. There are also homeless shelters, transitional housing, and case management programs. All services come with a formal application process and people need proof of hardship, income, expenses, as well as other support. 355 Alexander Avenue, Henderson, North Carolina 27536, call (252) 438-7107 for details. More on Salvation Army Henderson area assistance programs.
The community action agency is Franklin-Vance-Warren Opportunity. They offer a few resources for qualified low income families, seniors, and the disabled. Case managers also partner with clients to help them exist poverty and gain long term benefits. Some of the main resources are noted below.
- HUD section 8 housing vouchers may be available for people in regions such as Vance County. The vouchers can used to pay a portion of rent for an approved home or apartment. The HUD approved agency and its counselors can also direct clients towards home ownership programs and solutions.
- Case management is offered as part of Self-Sufficiency Program, and most section 8 participants need to enroll into this. Staff will hold workshops, classes, and offer advice that will put people on track for economic independence. This can include topics such as job training and search assistance, career counseling, budgeting, and more.
- Franklin-Vance-Warren Opportunity can direct homeowners to mortgage and foreclosure assistance as well. One of the key ones in the state is the North Carolina Prevention Fund. It can provide loans in some cases to be used to pay a portion of your mortgage for a certain period of time.
- LIHEAP, or low income energy bill assistance, is available at the community action agency in Person, Warren and nearby counties. It is often combined with weatherization. The non-profit helps low income, senior citizens as well as the disabled apply. More on NC LIEAP assistance.
- Job placement, training, development, and economic support is available as part of Economic Self-Sufficiency Project. Various steps are implemented to help clients can stability and self-sufficiency over the short and long term. The community action agency and its staff help.
Other programs provided by FVWOPP include referrals, information on public benefits such as SNAP food stamps, LIHEAP energy bill assistance, and Medicaid. The agency is a great place for information and support. Call the Franklin-Vance-Warren Opportunity at (252) 492-0161, or click here Franklin-Vance-Warren Opportunity assistance programs.
Service Intake of Roxboro, NC - The center initiates clients into the government aid and benefit system. It offers referrals, information, and other support. Work with staff on assessing your needs. They provide counseling, assist with problem solving, and offer emergency financial assistance or loans to low income families experiencing a crisis situation. (336) 559-8361
Emergency rental assistance - In the northern part of the state there are several programs focused on stopping evictions and homelessness. A combination of grants are used for rent expenses and other resources include transitional housing and funds for security deposits. Find rent help in Person, Vance, and Warren.
Free food banks and pantries
Local churches, non-profits, and private groups may have assistance. The items include free groceries, canned goods, information on WIC or SNAP food stamps, and meals. There are also soup kitchens for year round as well as free holiday means.
- Zion Christian Center, 2850 Virginilina Rd, Roxboro, North Carolina 27574, dial (336) 503-0056
- Word of Life Christian Center in Roxboro. Telephone number to call for hours is (336) 322-0488.
- A Pantry is at 516 Beckford Dr., Henderson, NC 27536, main phone (252) 492-8231
Many other resources are offered too. They can help feed the unemployed, working poor, children, and those in poverty. Groceries, hygiene items and other goods are offered. Even find emergency food assistance TEFAP programs, which is an USDA surpluse food program.
Low cost or free health care from clinics
Granville-Vance District Health Department - Offers treatment and follow-up for basic conditions. The clinic also coordinates immunizations, medications, and pregnancy tests. There is also information on government health insurance policies. The address is 115 Charles Rollins Road, Henderson, North Carolina 27536. Call (252) 492-4219
Rural Health Group at Henderson provides low cost or maybe free Family Care services. The center will use a reduced/sliding fee scale for the uninsured and low income. Also provide HIV services and prevention education. On the other hand, Henderson Dental provides dentistry assistance and cleanings at a sliding fee scale rate too. Telephone - (252) 438-3549
Other local dental and healthcare clinics are available. They help immigrants, the uninsured, low income and anyone in need of care. Everything from cancer check ups to basic care, medications, physicals and other services are offered. More on free community clinics in North Carolina.