Oklahoma County church assistance.
There are dozens of churches in Oklahoma County that help the less fortunate as well as working poor. In fact, a local religious organization is often the number one place to turn to for assistance. Each parish is different in what it may offer, but there may be a combination of financial assistance for paying rent or utility bills as well as other support, such as for free dental or medical care, clothing, and more.
A church will only help people that live in the immediate area. So a family should call upon a religious charity near to where they live or work. Note the applicants religion, immigration status, or age will not matter, especially from charities such as SVDP affiliates (e.g. St Francis Catholic Church). In fact some churches will even focus on helping senior citizens or seasonal far-workers, and same help the unemployed.
Listed below are some of the main churches to call in Oklahoma County. But there are also dozens of others as well that are involved in offering some form of social service to the poor.
Food programs – Most of the churches across the city provide some form of pantry to the public. They will only help families that live in the immediate area. A few of the parishes include the following. They may have groceries, free infant formula, Nutritional supplements for the elderly, and much more.
- Bethany Church Of Christ (3301 N Rockwell, Bethany, OK 73008) only help residents of Bethany.
- St James Episcopal Church (8400 S Pennsylvania, Oklahoma City, OK 73159, (405) 682-3405) provides free food to Southwest Oklahoma City.
- Putnam City United Methodist Church (5819 NW 41st, Oklahoma City, OK 73122, dial (405) 491-1304) supports the zip codes of 73008, 73112, 73120, 73122, 73132, or 73162.
- 50th St Church Of Christ (6035 NW 50th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73122) uses a punch card system and is open Tuesday only for people in the zip codes of 73122, 73132 and 73008.
- Douglas Boulevard United Methodist Church (208 S Douglas Boulevard, Midwest City, OK 73130, (405) 732-3035) operates a Mobile Meals on Wheels program for the disabled, seniors, and others in Midwest City.
- First Christian Church Of Edmond is at 201 E 2nd Street, Edmond, OK 73034. The parish has a free hot breakfast along with a healthy brown bag lunch served by volunteers.
- Midwest City Free Methodist Church (6500 E Reno, Midwest City, OK 73110, (405) 732-0648) Bread of Life provides emergency food boxes, counseling, and SNAP applications.
- New Hope United Methodist Church (11600 N Council, Oklahoma City, OK 73162, phone (405) 721-5015)
- St Phillip Neri Catholic Church – SVDP is in Midwest City, OK 73110. Phone (405) 741-0967 has a food pantry and Meals on Wheels.
Financial help from Oklahoma County churches – In general, only clients within the parish boundaries are able to apply for funds. There may be small dollar amounts of money for paying bills, rent, medications, water bills, or cooling costs too. Only when funds are available from a church will they return a call or help an applicant.
This is where a parish may decide to ramp up to support specific groups. Often if the applicant is a refugee or immigrant, or if they speak Spanish only, they can apply for an assistance program focused on their needs. There may also be special programs, including for rent to stop homelessness or utilities to keep the heat on, for the elderly. So a religious group in Oklahoma City will tend to give priority.
- Corpus Christi Catholic Church – SVDP (1005 NE 15th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73117, (405) 236-4301 ext. 10) will provide up to $200 every two years for water or electric bills.
- St Teresa Catholic Church (Harrah, OK 73045) helps pay energy bills.
- Bethany First Nazarene Church (6789 NW 39th Expressway, Bethany, OK 73008, phone (405) 789-2050) can pay up to $60 directly to the utility company for a qualified working poor family.
- St Francis Catholic Church – SVDP (1901 NW 18th, Oklahoma City, OK 73106, (405) 528-0485) helps with prescriptions, rent, Christmas bills and utilities.
- St James The Greater Catholic Church (phone (405) 636-6804) has limited funds for utility or heating bills.
Clothes and holiday programs – Most churches also provide this form of help. They support the Baptists, Catholic, Protestants, illegal immigrants, and others. No matter the holiday, whether it is Easter, thanksgiving, or Christmas, free help is given by a church in Oklahoma County. They also give out school supplies to children of all backgrounds.
- Northeast Church Of Christ (4817 N Martin Luther King, Oklahoma City, OK 73111, call (405) 424-4603) has free school supplies for kids, games, field trips, and other support.
- Church Of The Open Arms (3131 N Pennsylvania Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK 73112, dial (405) 525-9555) operates a free clothing closet.
- Eastside Church Of Christ (address - 916 S Douglas Boulevard, Midwest City, OK 73130, call (405) 732-0393).
- Exchange Avenue Baptist Church (1312 S Pennsylvania Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK 73108) serves Thanksgiving and Christmas meals. The charity passes out free Thanksgiving meals to the needy and homeless. Turkeys, sides, and an entire meal is given.
Medical and dental programs from Oklahoma City churches – While it may be surprising to some residents, many local churches provide free or low cost medical care. They have volunteer doctors and dentists on site that provide this service. The client does not need to be insured. In fact, many of those individuals that use a church run clinic lack insurance and may not even be on Medicaid. Or find other free community clinics in Oklahoma.
Only basic care is given. Also the hours are limited. But if a medical professional can't meet the request, they will refer the patient to another site, such as a hospital. They are also resources so that low income families can get any prescription drug medications they need. There is help for the medically indigent, which is people not covered by Medicare/Medicaid or any other insurance, and churches also help immigrants.
- Henderson Hills Baptist Church - Ministries Of Jesus (1100 E I-35 Frontage Road, Edmond, OK 73034, call (405) 340-7400) has a free clinic. There is eye care given, dietitian appointments, and medications.
- Olivet Baptist Church Ministries and Integris Medical Center (1201 NW 10th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73106, phone (405) 235-4696) offers pap smears and mammograms for women and other free medical services.
- Crossings Community Church Oklahoma City (10255 N Penn, Oklahoma City, OK 73120, (405) 242-5578) offers dental assistance, cleanings, free fillings, and even free vision care. A wide ranging clinic is open.
- St Charles Borromeo Catholic Church (4915 N State Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73122, (405) 495-4667) focuses on wellness, including blood pressure check, diabetes screening, and nutritional needs.