Assistance programs Nassau County Florida
Locate charities, churches and government organizations in the Nassau County area provide help with rent, utility bills, housing assistance, free food boxes, and other support to low-income families. Get grant money, loans, cash assistance from the government, and social services. Find financial help near you in Nassau County.
Whether a senior citizen, low income family, or working poor, there are resources offered, including for kids. This includes free back to school supplies as well as Christmas gifts. Or get legal aid, debt relief and a free car as well as financial help with bills in Nassau County.
Financial help for bills, rent, free food, and other assistance
Several different social services and assistance programs are offered by the Northeast Florida Community Action Agency, Inc. (NFCAA). Call the non-profit at (904) 398-7472. They help low-income families in Fernandina Beach, Yulee, and the county.
- Mortgage help - The Northeast Florida Community Action Agency may pay necessary, emergency housing expenses, including rent and mortgage, in times of emergency that is being faced by the homeowner. The amount of the mortgage payment made will be the minimum amount necessary to resolve the crisis and to try to save the home from foreclosure.
- Health care - Gain access to financial assistance and programs for eye and dental care, as well as prescription medications. Find additional health care assistance programs that assist the low income, vulnerable, and anyone in need of affordable medical care.
- Food boxes - The agency runs federal government programs that provide food commodities that will allow families and individuals to live healthy and productive lifestyles in times of crisis or an emergency.
- Utility and cooling bill assistance - The community action agency can also provide funds for paying utility bills. Apply for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), and the agency may also be able to provide emergency financial assistance for helping to avoid a disconnection.
- Employment and job finding services - Get help finding a new job, access job placement programs, learn about local job fairs, and get counseling and advice. There is also information on passive income programs for seniors.
- Weatherization - Receive free updates to homes to help reduce the amount that people pay on their monthly utility and energy bills. Improvements and updated can include Floor insulation, Roof updates and improvements, Caulking, Window repair or replacement, Water heater wrap, and many other updates.
Several other emergency assistance programs, guidance and resources are available from the community action organization. Read NFCAA programs.
Another agency that supports Nassau County and Fernandina Beach families is the Salvation Army. They run several different assistance programs under the Social Services label. They include the following.
- Utility or cooling bill assistance and rent help - They provide emergency funds to help those facing an eviction or disconnection of service. Veterans can also learn about financial aid in Nassau County, including government loan programs.
- Food pantry and hunger prevention aid - They have partnered with Second Harvest and together the organizations helps hundreds of people per week in Northeast Florida.
- Referrals - Learn about both federal government and programs run by the state of Florida, including government programs such as the housing short sale program which can help those facing a foreclosure of their primary residence. Or learn how to get low income mortgage relief.
- Free holiday help - Programs such as Angel Tree, Christmas and thanksgiving meal are administered. There is also other support in an effort to help people around the holidays.
Call the Salvation Army at (904) 301-4875 to learn more or to apply for assistance. Find more details on the Nassau County Salvation Army financial assistance.
Barnabas Center - The non-profit is a crisis center that supports people in Nassau County and Fernandina Beach. They coordinate with local agencies to provide free food, clothes, or vouchers for furniture. There is also financial assistance for paying bills, rent, and housing for senior citizens and the elderly in the area. Other resources include a mobile food pantry and free medical or dental care. The address is 1303 Jasmine St, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034. Call the center at (904) 261-7000, or find emergency aid from Barnabas Center.
Talk to an attorney for free legal aid. There are consultations offered. Contact Legal Aid of Jacksonville, which is a pro-bono organization that provides free lawyer services. Low-income families will get assistance and legal advice to help with foreclosures, utility disconnections, and even consumer debt or collection issues. The assistance is focused on low income individuals. Call them at (904) 356-8371.
DESC of Nassau County - Emergency programs range from free food to clothing. A focus is on families in poverty and senior citizens. Other financial aid may be offered, but is limited. There may be grants for security deposits or energy bills as well as back rent to prevent evictions. Read about Downtown Ecumenical Services Council programs.
Food banks and soup kitchens - There are several charities that tackle hunger among low income families and those living in poverty. Another service, Meals on Wheels, can help the elderly in Nassau County. Programs provide free boxes of food, meals (including at the holidays), personal hygiene items, Christmas gifts, clothing, and more.
- Hilliard area Barnabas Center provides emergency assistance, including a food pantry and clothing closet. Call (904) 845-4999 or (904) 261-7000
- Church of Christ - Phone number is (904) 624-5633.
- Locate other non-profits, or find a food stamp application site. Find a list of free food banks in Nassau County.
Community Services from Jewish Family. This non-profit is another place to try when facing a hardship. While funds are limited and may be restricted, the agency has information on self-sufficiency type programs in Nassau County Florida. They may have financial support for bills or rent. They also have information on food pantries, assistance for seniors, and resources such as Wise Nutrition. Learn more about Jewish Family Services in the Jacksonville area.
Fernandina Beach Housing Authority operates section 8 income based homes and apartments. There are vouchers to help with rent (based on income) for low-income parents, seniors and people with a disability. The location is 1300 Hickory St, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034. Call (904) 261-5051
Medical support is offered too. There are non-profit, government qualified dental and health centers that help low-income families. There are teeth cleanings, physicals, RX vouchers, dentures or implants and more. Look here for free dental implant assistance programs.
Clothing and free furniture centers in Nassau County Florida - Low to moderate income families can receive help from the centers. The locations in Fernandina Beach and other towns may have school supplies, Christmas gifts, work clothing, and of course clothes for every day use. Several thrift stores also are available in the region. More on clothing closets, furniture and school supplies in Nassau County.
Related Content From Needhelppayingbills.com