Barnabas Center emergency financial assistance programs.
People facing a short term emergency may be able to get help from the Barnabas Center. The non-profit agency works with members of the community and non-profits to provide assistance to the needy. They administer a Crisis Assistance program, run a food pantry, and can even coordinate medical and dental care in Nassau County Florida.
Emergency assistance may be offered. Volunteers and staff partner together to address basic needs of low income families faced with a temporary crisis. While financial assistance is limited, there is the possibility to get funds for paying rent, utility bills, or more. Another key focus of the crisis program is on offering referrals to other local charities and partners in Nassau County.
- Housing resources may be administered. This can include for mortgage payments, utility bills, or help for rent if faced with an eviction notice.
- Basic needs such as food, clothing, bicycles for work, and related items are offered at the Barnabas Center.
- Case management is available from staff, including assistance in applying for benefit programs such as SSI, budgeting assistance, and job placement.
Barnabas Center Food Pantry is for needy Nassau County families, seniors, children, or really anyone that needs help. It will help combat hunger and ensure people have a meal. The food bank center may have frozen items, packaged and canned food, fruits, formula, and the goods will then be distributed or available throughout the county.
The pantry is based at the Weaver Center in Fernandina Beach Florida. There may also be items at the Hilliard and Callahan satellite offices. Seniors in the region, as well as the homebound, can explore Meals on Wheels type services too.
There is also a free Mobile Food Pantry. This is run in partnership with non-profits such as Nourishment Network, the Hunger Coalition of Nassau County, churches, and other faith based groups. This visits areas across the county, including in Yulee, Callahan and Fernandina Beach. It may have fresh produce, dairy, bakery goods and meat, among other goods.
When seeking food from the center, proof of income, need, residency, and more is needed. There are limits and restrictions in place as well, due mostly to the fact that resources are limited. However they will try to provide up to 3 days worth of free food/groceries on a monthly basis to those that qualify.
Health care is available for low income or uninsured adults in need in Nassau County. The Barnabas Center medical and dental services are provided by dentists, doctors, and other health professionals from the community. Examples of the assistance provided is below.
- Medical Care an include Chronic Disease Management, Vision or Hearing Screening, and Mental Health Counseling.
- Dental assistance such as cleaning or extraction.
To get more information, or for help, an appointment is needed. Call the Fernandina Beach office, and dial (904) 261-7887 for medical or dial (904) 261-9988 for dental care.
Referrals are available as well. They work with many other community partners and non-profits across Nassau County. There are also churches, charities, and extensive organizations such as the Nassau County Health Improvement Coalition.
Various agencies may offer child care subsidies, clothing, preschool, job training, shelters, and more. As with any resource, there are limits and application processes in place as well.
Nassau County veterans can get help from one partner known as Homes For Our Brave. This is mostly for the homeless, and Barnabas Center works with these agencies and others. There is assistance for low income individuals, single, and their immediate family members as well. As just one example of what is available, there can be cash grants for security deposits, energy bills, or rent from the Supportive Services for Veteran Families, or SSVF, program.
Locations of the main offices are as follows.
- The Main Center, the Weaver Main Office, is at 1303 Jasmine Street, Suite 101, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034, dial (904) 261-7000
- A thrift store is at 930 South 14th Street, Fernandina Beach, Florida 32034, (904) 321-2334
- Hilliard Satellite office is at 15879 County Road 108, Hilliard, FL 32046, main phone (904) 261-7000
- Callahan center is at 45089 3rd Ave., Callahan, Florida 32011, call (904) 261-7000