latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Minnesota disability benefits and government programs.

Minnesota offers the disabled access to several different assistance programs and benefits. Some of them are offered directly by the state and others are administered in partnership with non-profits. The goal of the state is to ensure that individuals with a disability can access the financial support, medical care, and other resources to address the needs that they may have.

Help is also provided for their family or caregivers. This can include respite or in-home care solutions. Another focus is on helping the disabled access vocational or job training if they are able to do that. Some of the main services available in Minnesota are noted below, as well as information on the agencies that administer the programs.

The blind or visually impaired may benefit from the SSB, or Department of Employment and Economic Development's Services for the Blind. A number of services are administered to help individuals live independently, gain employment, and gain self-sufficiency.

Material assistance is offered to them including textbooks and materials in formats such as braille and digital audio, training and tools for independent living, and resources for keeping a job. Many non-profits participate with the Services for the Blind Department as well. (800) 652-9000.

Low income residents with a disability may be qualified for public aid and benefits, including grants and cash assistance. The Minnesota Department of Human Services processes most of these government programs across the state. Some examples of resources include

  • SNAP food stamps - This will offer clients vouchers to buy groceries, food items, and other goods. The vouchers can be used at local grocery stores and retailers.
  • LIHEAP, or the low income energy bill assistance is offered. Priority for any financial aid is for the elderly and disabled, among others.
  • Housing vouchers, including subsidized apartments and assistance with rent payments are offered from Section 8 and other resources.
  • Medical care is coordinated by Human Services, including government programs such as Medicaid.

Many other programs are coordinated by the Minnesota Department of Human Services. The financial support is focused on low income residents. Call 1-800-657-3698.




Career and Employment Services are handled by the Workforce Development Unit. This group can help people prepare for, find and retain a job. There are also Services for Seniors that are blind or impaired. Additional benefits are offered by the Assistive and Adaptive Technology Unit. They provide technology services that help people in school, on the job or at home. The main office is at 2200 University Avenue, Saint Paul, MN 55114. Dial (800) 652-9000.

The Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development's Vocational Rehabilitation Services helps the disabled find, train for, and keep a job. They can get help from case managers on accessing the tools and services they need for this activity. After all, an income is key to self-sufficiency. The office is in Minneapolis. Toll-free (800) 328-9095

Children with Special Health Needs can also be supported by a department known as MCSHN. They oversee public health and medical programs for youth, teenagers, and children that are disabled or have special health needs. The agency may offer them assistance such as training to primary care professionals and their families, information, referral, and follow-up; screening and early identification, monitoring of medications and health care needs. There is also assistance in the form of development of community partnerships.

Education is available in the state. The agency has information about specialized social services and programs that coordinate assistance to families of children with or at risk for disabilities and chronic illnesses. Follow up is also offered by case managers in Minnesota as part of the Department of Children with Special Health Needs. This may offer referrals or linkages to non-profit partners and other resources.

Children and their parents may also benefit from the Follow Along Program, which helps young children who are at-risk for experiencing developmental delays. There is also the Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Program which improves the access of services and medical care for children who are deaf or hard of hearing. Two other resources for young children include the Early Intervention Program as well as Help Me Grow. Call 1-800-728-5420 for information on programs for children with Special Needs.





Minnesota Department of Human Services' Adult Mental Health Division does not offer direct aid, but they work with local towns and counties to ensure that services are available for mental health treatment. United States Department of Health and Human Services Grants are used to pay for services. Some examples of the benefits available in Minnesota include emergency services, Assertive community treatment, Acute care hospital inpatient treatment, Adult rehabilitative, Education and prevention services, Supportive Employment, Outpatient services, and also a Partial hospitalization program.

A wide range of assistance programs are administered from the Minnesota Department of Human Services' Aging and Adult Services Division. They are involved in overseeing various federal government and state benefits for both seniors as well as adults with a disability. So this is one of the leading non-profit, government supported organizations to call for help or referrals. While many of the resources are focused on the elderly, some benefits are for the disabled too.

Group Residential Housing can help pay the rent, board and housing costs for low-income adults who have been placed in a licensed setting.

Information on medical care, including prescription and insurance, is available as part of the State Health Insurance Program (SHIP). Counselors provide free objective, confidential assistance about a variety of issues. Long-Term Care Consultation Service consultants help caregivers or the disabled persons families choose long-term care services that reflect their needs and preferences.

Home delivered meals for the homebound may be available in Minnesota from the Department of Human Services' Aging and Adult Services Division and local non-profit partners, such as the Salvation Army. Other benefits include Minnesota Senior Health Options, Nursing Home, applications for the Prescription Drug Program, and Health Care.

For more information on the Adult Services referenced above, including referrals for the disabled, dial (800) 882-6262 or (651) 431-2500.

The Department of Human Services' Continuing Care Administration's Disability Services Division assists people with disabilities as well as their care takers. The department may offer and support those with chronic medical conditions, developmental challenges, acquired or traumatic brain injuries and physical disabilities. Case managers can help individuals live where they choose by providing community-based services and arrange for independence in the community. Services from the not for profit include home, work-related services and residential care. (800) 747-5484.







Additional agencies and resources for the disabled

The main government offices and non-profits for the disabled in Minnesota are below.

Aging Services of Minnesota
Address is 2550 University Avenue West
Saint Paul, MN 55114
(800) 462-5368

The Arc of Minnesota
2446 University Avenue West, Suite 110
Saint Paul MN, 55114
The phone number is 833.450.1494

Autism Society of Minnesota
2380 Wycliff Street, Suite 102
Saint Paul, MN 55114
Main number: (651) 647-1083

Brain Injury Association of Minnesota
34 13th Avenue Northeast, Suite B001
Minneapolis, MN 55413
Toll-free (800) 669-6442

Minnesota Academy for the Blind
400 SE 6th Avenue
Faribault, MN 55021
Telephone number is (800) 657-3634

Minnesota Academy for the Deaf
Location of the center is 615 Olof Hanson Drive
Faribault, MN 55021
Phone number is (800) 657-3996

Minnesota Association of Centers for Independent Living
519 2nd Street North
Saint Cloud, MN 56303
Dial (320) 529-9000

Minnesota Association of County Social Service Administrators
125 Charles Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55103
(651) 224-3344





Board on Aging
Elmer L. Andersen Human Services Building, 540 Cedar Street
Saint Paul, MN 55155
(800) 882-6262

Minnesota Chapter of Paralyzed Veterans of America
Main address is 1 Veterans Drive, SCI - 238
Minneapolis, MN 55417
For information on benefits, dial (800) 663-6782

Minnesota Commission of Deaf, Blind and Hard of Hearing Minnesotans
444 Lafayette Road North
Saint Paul, MN 55155
The toll-free number is (866) 824-8479

Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development, Services for the Blind
Main address - 2200 University Avenue, Suite 240
Saint Paul, MN 55114
Dial (800) 652-9000 for information on benefits

Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development, Vocational Rehabilitation Services
First National Bank Building
332 Minnesota Street, Suite E200
St. Paul, MN 55101
(800) 328-9095

Minnesota Department of Human Services
Regional offices across Minnesota
Toll-free (800) 747-5484

Minnesota Department of Human Services, Injury and Violence Prevention, Traumatic Brain and Spinal Cord Injury
Location is 85 East 7th Street
St. Paul, MN 55101
Dial (651) 201-5400

Human Services, Medical Assistance
Regional offices across Minnesota
(800) 657-3739

Minnesota Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities
Main address is 370 Centennial Office Building, 658 Cedar Street
St. Paul, MN 55155
Telephone: (877) 348-0505

Minnesota Office of the Ombudsman for Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities
121 7th Place East, Suite 420, Metro Square Building
St. Paul, MN 55101
Toll-free (800) 657-3506





Spina Bifida Association of Minnesota
P.O. Box 29323
Minneapolis, MN 55429
(651) 222-6395

United Cerebral Palsy of Minnesota
Address: 1821 University Avenue West, Suite 180 N
St. Paul, MN 55104
Main phone number is (651) 646-7588


By Jon McNamara














Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site