Assistance programs in Middle Peninsula area of Virginia.
There are several counties in Middle Virginia, including Gloucester, Lancaster, Matthews, Essex, Westmoreland, Middlesex, Northumberland, and Richmond. Find how and where to get financial help for paying bills, housing, medical, and free items as well, including food, gasoline vouchers or school supplies.
Many charities, non-profits, and government social service offices (DSS) provide emergency help, both financial hardship grants or low cost loans. They also help with other needs, ranging from budgeting advice to job training, senior or disabled care, or seasonal needs (free Christmas toys or AC bill help). Find details on resources below.
Help for bills and expenses
Samaritan Group is based in Gloucester Virginia. They do offer some short, term emergency assistance as funding allows. Programs can help with basic needs such as food, housing, and similar expenses. The address is 6494 Main Street. Call (804)693-2252, or more on Samaritan Group assistance programs.
Community action agency - Bay Aging - This non-profit supports all seven counties. They offer a number of assistance programs. While some are focused on seniors and the elderly, others are available to residents of any age, provided they meet income and other conditions.
- Food assistance is available from pantries, which the agency may have information on. They also run the Meals on Wheels program in partnership with churches and charities. As part of this program, USDA approved meals, which will be delivered by volunteers, are delivered by community groups and churches to the disabled and homebound.
- The VICAP - Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program also has information on medical care, including Medicare Part D and Medicaid. It counsels, educates and assists older consumers on long-term care insurance, medical benefit programs, Medicare, and other assistance.
- Options Counseling from Bay Aging offers assessments, care coordination, management options, and other aid. Get information on federal and state of Virginia benefits, including programs such as SNAP food stamps. Referral services are available as well.
- Job assistance, including the Senior Employment Program from Bay Aging, can help people find jobs in the Middlesex and Lancaster County region, or other towns. The non-profit works to offer part-time placement, work experience, skills, and job placement assistance. It is for the unemployed, seniors, or people looking for new skills.
- Housing resources in counties such as Northumberland snf Westmoreland can be available from Bay Aging in the form of referrals. The non-profit community action agency helps people find and access HUD programs for the housing unsecured.
- Free Legal Aid at Bay Aging community action provides the low income and older individuals 60 in the Northern Neck or Middle Peninsula with referrals, representation, counseling or other appropriate free legal advice. The Legal Aid programs also provide education, outreach, group presentations and training.
Other resources include Respite For Caregivers, Veterans Independence Programs, Adult Day Break Centers, information on low income housing and more. Bay Aging offers programs in the counties of Gloucester, Essex, Lancaster, Matthews, Middlesex, Northumberland, Richmond, and Westmoreland. The community action agency main office is at 5306 Old Virginia Street, Urbanna, Virginia 23175, Call (804) 758-2386. More on Bay Aging assistance programs.
Lancaster-Northumberland Interfaith Service Council helps the low income meet payments for rent, utilities, medical expenses, emergency housing and other needs. Clients need to be referred by the local Departments of Social Services. They will only offer financial assistance after federal and state governmental sources have been exhausted. (804)435-6050
Salvation Army of Middle Peninsula Virginia and nearby towns provides emergency assistance in some cases. Funds may be offered for paying rent, utilities, mortgage, food and clothing. It is usually for persons who are in need due to drastic change in circumstances or an emergency.
Other resources on the Peninsula area may include free holiday meal or toy programs, heating bill assistance in winter for any heating source such as gas kerosene, oil, propane, wood. There may also be short term loans or grants for rent as well as electricity and cooling assistance in summer. 7057 Linda Circle, Hayes, Virginia 23072. Call (804)642-3960 or (540)373-3431, or more on Salvation Army Virginia Peninsula programs.
Department of Social Services are in each county. The main focus is on energy bill assistance, however referrals to other resources may be available too. Fuel Assistance can help with paying the cost of heating bills. There may be funds or grants for paying air conditioning or cooling bills.
Lastly is the Crisis Assistance program, which assists when other resources don't meet the need. Also get information on Medicaid applications, weatherization, section 8, and other public aid. As DSS is a leading place for public assistance, including disability grants.
- Richmond County, 5579 Richmond Road, Warsaw, Virginia 22572. (804)333-4088
- Northumberland County, 6373 Northumberland Highway Suite A, Heathsville, VA 22473-0399. Main number is (804)580-3477
- Middlesex County, 2893 General Puller Highway, Saluda, Virginia 23149. Call (804)758-2348
- Lancaster County Department of Social Services is located at 9049 Mary Ball Road , Lancaster, VA 22503. Dial (804)462-5141
- Gloucester, 6641 Short Lane , Gloucester, VA 23061. Main phone number is (804)693-2671
- Essex County - 772 Richmond Beach Road, Tappahannock, Virginia 22560, (804)443-3561
Lancaster-Northumberland Interfaith Service Council provides free or low cost nutritious, non-perishable food and groceries. It is usually enough to last each family member about two weeks. Kilmarnock, VA 22482. Phone (804)435-6050.
Hands Across Mathews - Distributes furniture, clothing, dry goods, meats, and canned goods to assist low income families registered with Mathews County Social Services. (804)725-0934
Hands Across Middlesex is similar to above but is located in Locust Hill, VA. Phone (804)758-2044. This center offers limited financial assistance, an on site food pantry, basic home repairs, free clothing and furniture and assistance to eligible clients.
Regional community clinics
Gloucester-Mathews Free Clinic - Coordinates low cost or free dental, medical, prescription medications and patient education to low-income uninsured patients from the area, including Gloucester and Mathews counties.
- 7314 Main Street , Gloucester, VA 23061. Call (804)210-1368
- 2276 George Washington Memorial Highway, Hayes, Virginia 23072, telephone (804)642-9515
Southeastern Virginia Health System runs a sliding fee scale/center for the low income in the Middle Peninsula. There is also a family practice on site. (804)725-9191.
Northern Neck Free Health Clinic is located in Kilmarnock. This non-profit runs a free dental, health clinic, and even an on site pharmacy to low income individuals. (804)435-0575.
Free dental and medical clinics are located in other parts of the Middle section of Virginia as well. They focus on the very low income as well as people without insurance. Adults, children, the disabled and elderly among others can get everything from health checkups to assistance paying dental bills, information on CHIP child care for kids, immunizations and more.
Appointments are often needed. They do operate on a sliding fee scale, meaning clients pay what they can. Find other free dental clinics in Virginia.