Mid-Columbia Community Action Agency Council.

Some of the resources from the Mid-Columbia Community Action Council include government benefits such as LIHEAP and weatherization as well as housing assistance programs. The non-profit agency supports homeowners in Oregon counties such as Wasco, Hood River, and Sherman. Case managers will work with clients on referring or helping them apply for those resources and others.

Not only can families maybe receive financial aid from those programs, but MCCAC also offers more. The agency will help people gain self-sufficiency, including register for job training or education. Some of the housing solutions are emergency rent help to prevent an eviction or transitional housing programs. All of that, and much more, is available from the non-profit.

Transitional Housing is available. Mid Columbia Community Action is both the operator and owner of the Dalles Oregon based Hamilton Transitional Housing facility. While space is very limited, the center can hold several different formerly homeless families. Those facing imminent eviction can also receive assistance.

Clients can stay for up to 2 years while they access case management, look for employment and continue to seek permanent housing in counties such as Hood River. Families that stay there will need to pay some of the rent and utilities. So a portion of their income will be used for those expenses.

Learn how to save money from free Energy Education workshops. They are offered as part of the Weatherization program as well as LIHEAP service. The classes provide people from the regions with an opportunity to learn more about how to conserve energy in their homes.

In addition to that, those who attend the classes can get free Energy Saving kits. These are passed out to participants and include things like CFL light bulbs, programmable thermometers, switch plate gaskets and other items. All classes are approved by Mid-Columbia Community Action Council and held by specialists and very qualified trainers.

Utility bill assistance is from MCCAC's Oregon Energy Assistance Program (OEA) and also the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). The community action agency processes applications for those government programs. They also have information on several other local utility programs which can help customers with paying gas and heating bills.




Weatherization from MCCAC is funded by several government grants including the Bonneville Power Administration, the Department of Energy (DOE), the LIHEAP - Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, Pacific Power (ECHO) and Northwest Natural Gas (OLIEE). This will install free improvements and conservation measures in the homes of qualified families.

Food assistance is run in partnership with many charities, pantries, churches, and non-profits in the Mid-Columbia Oregon region. The non-profit works with centers such as Hood River Seventh Day Adventist, FISH, Helping Hands, St. Vincent de Paul, Hood River Valley Adult Center, Salvation Army, The Dalles Seventh Day Adventist, Meals on Wheels, Pioneer Potlatch, the Sherman County Emergency Food Bank, as well as Windy River Gleaners.

AARP Tax Aide is a program that is paid for by the AARP and the IRS. The MCCAC Tax Counseling program will offer free advice and income tax assistance. It is offered in both Washington and North Central Oregon sites. Not only can you get help in completing your return, but assistance is offered when it comes to filing them too.

Rent Assistance from Mid-Columbia Community Action Council - MCCAC can assist households who are facing an eviction. Or funds can pay a deposit or first months rent for a new apartment. Most aid is generally for those from the region who are at risk of losing their housing. All funding is limited and there are different eligibility requirements set by MCCAC's.




In order to get rent help, proof of hardship is needed too, such as verification of all household income, Social Security numbers for everyone in the household, an eviction notice from their landlord, and more.

Similar to above is the homeless assistance in Hood River, Wasco and Sherman Oregon. It can include things such as emergency shelter to transitional housing, as noted below. Some clients may receive funds to pay a deposit or first months rent expense too.

The Mid-Columbia Community Action Council locations in the region are below. Call for intake and applications.

Main office - 312 E. 4th St., The Dalles, OR 97058, Phone: (541) 298-5131
Hood River Office, 1102 12th St., Hood River, Oregon 97031, telephone number is (541) 386-4027




“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy