latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rent assistance in Los Angeles County.

Charities, churches and government organizations in Los Angeles provide rental assistance, security deposit help, and free legal consultations for tenants around housing. Most of the financial resources are for low income families, seniors or the disabled. There are government rent relief programs as well as emergency grant money from a charity to help pay housing costs. Find help near you with paying rent in LA City and the County.

Assistance can be provided to families with an eviction notice or those people that are in arrears with their rent or utilities. If the family needs a place to live, funds are also distributed for paying security deposits or there may be free vouchers for a motel in the county of LA. Rent relief is offered for low-income families in all Los Angeles County cities, including Santa Clarita, Glendale, Pasadena, and the city of LA.

Some agencies will help families apply for ongoing monthly rent assistance on their home or apartment. These include second chance housing, no wait list homes in Los Angeles or apartments that for renters with a past due eviction. There are also section 8 housing authorities as well as income subsidized homes and apartments in Los Angeles County. All these organization offer either long term or immediate help for paying back past due rent.

Places that help with paying rent in Los Angeles

Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels Charity Program, which is based in Los Angeles and can be reached at (213) 680-5283, provides people in the surrounding zip codes with assistance The grant program provides various forms of rent and housing assistance for people in who live in the City of Los Angeles. All support is temporary.  Money is offered to people who can’t pay a full months worth of their rent. It is not a charity program, and people need to be able to get back on track after the hardship ends.

Glendora Welfare Association - This agency only supports Glendora California residents and it can provide them with financial assistance for paying their rent. Any funds are only offered in an emergency, and residents can only apply for help once. Call (626) 857-1181, or the address is 114 N Glendora Ave, Glendora, California 91741

Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles (HACLA) - Is located at 2600 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90057. Phone number 213-252-2500. This public agency is the largest housing authority in California and the nation. Programs run by it include Project Based Voucher, Shelter Plus Care, Moderate Rehab, rent subsidized low income housing, and others. The California section 8 housing program is also administered from this location, however the waiting list is extensive and oftentimes closed due to demand.




Catholic Charities runs a rental assistance program known as Older Adult Services and Intervention System, or OASIS. Case managers will work with residents, with a focus on seniors, in helping them avoid evictions, find more affordable housing, or pay rent, deposits, or down payments for a new home or apartment. The charity mailing address is 1531 James M. Wood Blvd., Los Angeles, California 90015, telephone number (213) 251-3400.

Inland Valley Hope Partners - If you have 3 or fewer days to the eviction, this non-profit may have limited amounts of emergency rent payment assistance. Call them at (909-622-3806. Funding is limited and depends on grant money received. There are a few different locations around California, including in Ontario as well as in Claremont. The LA county office is at 1753 N. Park Avenue Pomona, CA 91768.

Social Services at Blessed Sacrament - Only Hollywood CA area families and individuals can turn to this agency for help with their rent. The center may be able to offer financial assistance seniors, veterans and single moms in the area. Service provided to income eligible families includes rental assistance for emergency situations or a short term crisis. The address is 6657 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028, or dial (323) 871-8042.

City of Culver City residents have options available to them too. Dial (310) 253-5780. As far as housing aid, some of the services offered to low income and working poor, as well as the unemployed, include a rental subsidy program through Section 8 housing vouchers from HUD. There is also a Redevelopment Agency rental Assistance Program. In addition, free landlord/tenant dispute resolution services are provided to the low to moderate income as well. More on help with rent.

PATH Beyond Shelter helps walk-ins as well as low income families, immigrants and others that have referrals. Everything from income subsidized homes or apartments in LA to rent help, free landlord-tenant mediation and more is offered. Case management is always a focus too.

  • People Assisting The Homeless (PATH)is an organization provides rental assistance as well as grants from the Rapid Re-housing Assistance Program or placement into no waiting list low income apartments in Los Angeles. The location is 340 North Madison Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90004. Dial (323) 644-2200 or (310) 996-0034 for details. A screening process is in place before financial aid is issued.
  • There is also a PATH Beyond Shelter program at 11243 Glenoaks Boulevard, Pacoima, CA 91331 (phone (818) 834-4885) as well as South Los Angeles II (address is 5101 South Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90037, call (323) 644-2216).





County of Los Angeles DPSS offers free cash aid for the working poor and low income from 500 W. Temple St, Los Angeles, CA 90012. There is free grants to pay rent, applications to section 8 or HUD VASH, TANF welfare (CalWorks) and more. A wide range of financial help to low-income families n LA is offered, and funds for housing is but one. Dial (213) 974-1311 for the Department of Public Social Services and government programs in Los Angeles. Another option for the region is CalWorks homeless prevention for paying rent.

Homeless Outreach Program has four locations in the county. They help the low income, seniors, disabled and vulnerable locate housing. Or apply for ongoing, recurring monthly rent assistance. Main office is at 5715 S Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90037. Phone (323) 948-0444 or call (844) 422-5577

Lutheran Social Services has a variety programs in Los Angeles County, including rental payment help. There is help in Pasadena, Hollywood, San Fernando Valley, and Santa Monica as well as western LA County. Whether security deposit help for the homeless or rental assistance for single mothers or fathers, they try to assist people in need including veterans. There may also be free furniture, low cost loans for bills, legal advice to tenants, housing benefit assistance and more. Dial 818-980-1657 or in the Pasadena area, call 626-564-0191.

Get help with rent in LA CountyLos Angeles Community Service and Family Center offers help in crisis. Everything from rental or mortgage assistance to electric bill help, budgeting for tenants and more. Veterans, single parents, immigrants and the low income can use the center at 2116 Arlington Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90018. Dial (213) 222-1237 or (323) 737-3900

NoHo Home Alliance at St Matthew's Lutheran Church helps the homeless and low income tenants in the East San Fernando Valley. Whether it is financial help for paying past due rent or advocacy, or referrals to shelters or transitional housing, the non-profit tries to help from 11031 Camarillo Street, North Hollywood. For referrals to rent help, dial (818) 762-2909.

Kingdom Causes Bellflower helps with move in costs only. Applicants need to provide that they are financially stable. If qualified, everything from first months rent to security or utility deposit help is offered. There may even be volunteers to help people move or gently used furniture. Location is 16429 Bellflower Blvd., Bellflower, California. Call 562-804-2189

Salvation Army - Torrance Corps only helps families in the immediate region. Free vouchers for furniture or job needs, rent help, utility connection assistance, money for storage costs and more is offered. The social service center is at 820 Lomita Boulevard, Harbor City, CA 90710. Local residents only can dial 310-835-1986.

  • Additional Salvation Army social services are available, including that assist with rent for people (or families) in rapid rehousing programs. The main office is at 1532 W 11th St, Los Angeles, CA 90015. Call 213-381-3747, or look here for how to get help with rent and bills from the LA Salvation Army.

Arcadia Welfare and Thrift Shop (phone (626) 447-6864) may be able to offer rent assistance in very limited circumstance to those who need help. Address is 323 N 1st Ave, Arcadia, California 91006.




Angelic Assistance – For the homeless or near homeless, the faith based charity may be able to help pay for motel rooms, offer emergency rent help, offers shelter and more. Dial 626-759-390 or (626) 383-6024. They also try to rehouse people somewhere in LA County.

Rent or housing help from LA County’s Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP). This program is funded by the federal government but it is administered by non-profits, churches and charities in the LA county. It provides rent help, utility or water bill assistance, money for paying security deposits, free legal aid, and other eviction prevention resources. Individuals and families of all ages, races, and religions may be eligible for the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP).

  • The goal is to both stop evictions and rehouse people. There may also be grants to you pay your past due gas and electric bills and fees to turn on your utilities back on. Grants can also pay for a motel room or storage fees. You can call 833 223-7368, (800) 593-8222 or 800-399-4529 or (800) 973-3370, or more Los Angeles County homeless prevention and rehousing.

Unity Of Life Foundation, which is based in Long Beach, California and can be reached at (562) 225-0566, runs a program known as CommUnityCares. This assistance program deals with housing issues. The non-profit can assist homeless and low/moderate-income individuals and families with paying their rental obligations or housing costs, and arrange other aid. The mailing address is P.O. Box 5952, Long Beach, CA 90805.

Long Beach Health and Human Services - Offers financial assistance for rent and housing expenses. Income and other restrictions will apply for applicants, with funds also for single moms and those in poverty. The office is at 123 E. 14th St., Long Beach, California 90813, phone number 562-570-4000.

SHIELDS for Families has many social services, including around rehousing and second chance apartments in LA County. Rapid Rehousing provides grant money for first months rent or a security deposit as well as moving help. There are also Family Solution Center (FSC), Place of Family for women facing DV, and other financial help (including for rental payments) to rehouse people. Location is 11601 South Western Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90047. Call 323-242-5000

VOALA, or Volunteers of America, offers several housing programs where funding is available. They administer rental assistance for veterans, can help the disabled apply for benefits, and work to rehouse the homeless including seniors in Los Angeles. Many of their low income apartments are rent subsidized and they may have solutions on paying security deposit or application fees as well. The Volunteers of America of Los Angeles is based at 3600 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA - 90010. Dial (213) 389-1500.

Jewish Association - Regardless of your religion, interest free loans can be issued to pay for rent, bills such as utilities, deposits or other expenses in a crisis. The organization is a non-profit that works to help less fortunate families in Los Angeles, including seniors, single parents or the disabled. The funds can assist those that don’t qualify for rental relief or housing help from other sources. Call (323) 761-8830.







Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA) - This agency can provide referrals in various parts of Los Angeles City and County. It supports those who are currently homeless. Callers can learn about rent assistance offered from partners in the county, such as churches or human service agencies. Address is 707 Wilshire Blvd #600, Los Angeles, CA 90017, or call 213-683-3333.

St. Joseph's Center of Venice - Helps highly vulnerable and chronically homeless individuals secure and maintain permanent housing. They help pay deposits, first months rent or other fees through subsidies and case management. Address is 204 Hampton Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90291, or dial (310) 396-6468.

L.A. Family Housing, or LAFH, offers many solutions to the homeless or people struggling to pay their rent each month. They offer transitional housing from resources such as Sydney M. Irmas as well as operate dozens of short term sites around the county. Guests will be offered free sleeping blankets, guidance, and referrals to permanent, low income apartments.

  • The non-profits Housing Resource Center also provides self-sufficiency and guidance around budgeting, applying for government benefits such as section 8 to pay part of rent, and other support. All of this is done in an effort to prevent homelessness in the county, and find more on L.A. Family Housing assistance programs.

Center for the Pacific Asian Family, Inc. - Programs are offered for those impacted by domestic violence. The organization can provide emergency and transitional services for basic needs, outreach, rapid rehousing rental assistance and other programs for survivors of domestic violence. A focus is on women and children. Location - 543 North Fairfax Avenue #108, Los Angeles, California 90036, phone 1-800-339-3940.

Emergency Assistance to Prevent Eviction, or EAPE, is wide ranging. Case management, one time emergency rental help, counseling, and other housing solutions are offered. In a crisis, grants may be available for paying some current or past due rental costs to Los Angeles families faced with homelessness.

  • Eviction prevention is only for very low income families or single moms, including CalWORKs participants that are on the path to self-sufficiency. There may be funds for utility bills, including water costs. Other Emergency Assistance to Prevent Eviction resources offered in Los Angeles County include mediation, cash grants, and support in dealing with a crisis, such as security deposit disputes. Free lawyers also represent tenants in housing court.  More details on EAPE free grants in Los Angeles.

Pomona Community service - Brother Miguel only helps residents in the region. They are part of Catholic Charities. Programs assist with moving expenses, electric bills, or back rent. Applicants need a 3 day pay or quit notice to apply for emergency financial help with housing. The phone number is (909) 629-1331.

St. Vincent of Altadena and Pasadena - Low income families can apply for cash grant to pay a portion of any rent arrears. Other housing solutions, including information on shelters, is also available. Dial (626) 792-4183. The mailing address is 311 N Raymond Ave, Pasadena, CA 91103.

Information on rental assistance in Los Angeles County - Customer support staff, which can be reached at (800) 339-6993, can provide referrals to income qualified tenants. The service may have linkage to programs that offer one time assistance for paying rent and other housing resources available for a wide range of clients, including single moms, the working poor, and families on the verge of eviction.





Housing Is Key is offered across the county. The organization, which can be reached at 833-430-2122, will help low-income families find a rental assistance programs that they qualify for. There are also programs around moving and security deposit assistance as well as motel or hotel vouchers for homeless people. All referrals from the non-profit to local rent relief programs is free.

City of Long Beach - Tenants that are living in this area have a few non-profits and government agencies to turn to for temporary rent assistance. The number of families assisted is small, but programs such as Family Self-Sufficiency are combined with emergency grants, legal aid, loans for paying rent, and more. All resources are focused on preventing homelessness in the city. Continue with Long Beach rental assistance programs.

The Los Angeles County Office of Immigrant Affairs provides many social services to immigrants, asylum seekers, and refugees in LA County. One program will help them find, lease, and pay the rent on affordable homes or apartments. Other support services including financial help for housing is arranged too, and call 1-800-593-8222 for details.

There are several Housing Rights Centers around Los Angeles County. The locations provides many services to tenants, including emergency help with rent. They can mediate disputes between landlords, provide referrals to rental payment assistance programs from non-profits. They also help low income families, deal with discrimination issues, coordinate legal aid and more. Services are available in Spanish and to immigrants too.

Note financial aid for paying back rent is not available, but the staff may have suggestions. Call (800) 477-5977 for information. The Housing Center have also information on how the working poor and other low income families are provided Section 8 housing subsidies through the Housing Authorities of the City as well as the County of Los Angeles. The main office is at 3255 Wilshire Blvd #1150, Los Angeles, CA 90010, with other locations below.

  • San Gabriel Valley, 3255 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles California, 90010
  • 44933 N. Fern Ave., Lancaster City Hall, Lancaster CA, 93534,
  • City of Pasadena - Jackie Robinson Community Center is at 1020 N Fair Oaks Ave, Pasadena, CA 91103.
  • West Los Angeles County - 1645 Corinth Ave., City of Los Angeles Housing Department, Los Angeles CA, 90025
  • Address is 1002 E. Avenue Q-12, Palmdale SAVES Center, Palmdale CA, 93550
  • East Los Angeles Housing Rights Center is at 4716 E. Cesar Chavez Ave., Centro Maravilla Center, Los Angeles CA, 90022
  • Langley Senior Citizen Center supports people of all ages. Address is 400 W Emerson Ave, Monterey Park, California 91754

Rent help, mortgage programs, and housing resources for HIV and AIDs patients is offered from several non-profits in Los Angeles County.

  • Special Service for Groups may be able to help people with HIV or AIDS pay their rent. Financial help is only offered for Asians and Pacific Islanders. Call (323) 432-4399 to speak to this Los Angeles CA agency.
  • Bienestar Human Services provides assistance to people with AIDs or HIV who can't work. The grants can be used for everything from medical to rent, mortgages, or other bills. The funds can also be combined with disability benefits. There are multiple offices of the non-profit, including at the following. There is a center at 5326 E Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90022 as well as 4955 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90027. Or the last Human Services office for rental help is at 130 W Manchester Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90003. The phone number for all locations is (866) 590-6411
  • Asian Pacific Aids Intervention Team helps non-English speakers, Asian, Vietnamese and other who have AIDs and/or HIV. The office is at 3055 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90010. Call (844) 422-5577
  • Alliance for Housing and Healing also offers financial assistance, whether for moving, back rent, transportation or deposits. They also help with applications to SSI disability or CalWorks. Location is 825 Colorado Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90041. Dial (323) 344-4888




Low income and/or homeless veterans in the city of Los Angeles and County can get help. Corporations, non-profits, and government programs can help them pay their rent or find affordable, subsidized housing that has no waiting list. Or there are free motel or hotel vouchers for veterans as well as their families in the county.

  • VOA of Compton - This non-profit offers support to veterans and their families in this immediate area of LA County. There may be rental or housing assistance and transitional units. The homeless and those facing imminent eviction may benefit from money to pay a security deposit or financial counseling as well. Also get referrals to pro-active homeless prevention programs.. Address is 700 N. Bullis Rd., Compton California, 90221. Call (310) 905-9701.
  • Veterans Initiative of Los Angeles and Long Beach helps with housing as well as rent needs of veterans (and their families) that are living in poverty or homeless. The non-profit can help them find a new low income home in Los Angeles County, apply for utility or rental deposit assistance, and access other services, such as budging or government benefit. Dial (562) 388-7800.
  • Bob Hope Patriotic Hall is based at 1816 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles, California 90015. Veterans of all ages can get emergency rent or energy bill help to stop evictions. There is also storage cost assistance or financial aid to pay security deposits. Dial (213) 223-8366 for info on rent relief.
  • New Directions for Veterans is for (1) currently homeless veterans in LA as well as (2) people on the verge of evictions or foreclosures. Everything from counseling to employment resources, free grants for rent or security deposits, housing search assistance and more is offered. A focus is on the San Gabriel Valley area. Office address is 11303 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90025. Dial (310) 914-4045

Free legal aid to help renters in LA with housing issues

Eviction Defense Network - The agency provides Los Angeles County families with housing-related legal services. There may be referrals to emergency rental programs, loans, and direct aid. Staff offer legal counseling, free advice, and eviction defense assistance. Dial (213) 385-8112, or the office is at 1930 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, California 90057.

Inquilinos Unidos (United Tenants) is for any low income family, but a major focus is on immigrants (documented or not) and minorities who face housing discrimination. The office is at 1709 W. 8th St., Los Angeles, CA 90017. Call (213) 483-7497. They do not offer financial aid, but rather advice and/or legal support. The non-profits helps the vulnerable, immigrants, and Spanish speakers fight evictions, including with information on what places can help them pay future rental costs.

Free legal aid - Several different firms work with low income families that are facing eviction. They can advise clients on their rights in dealing with their landlords, address unsafe housing issues, and sometimes provide mediation. Attorneys from the pro-bono firms can help with disputed rental or security deposit payments. All of this is done in an effort to end homeless in Los Angeles County. Read more on free legal eviction assistance in Los Angeles.

Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles also helps low income families and individuals. Get eviction prevention support, counseling, referrals to non-profit or charity rent help, and more. They also support homeowners with foreclosure filings. Call (213) 640-3850, or the address of the main office is 1102 Crenshaw Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90019.




ICLC - Law Center offers free legal support on evictions as well as referrals to rental assistance. They also help the homeless and low income with applying for benefits such as section 8 or public housing. Grants to pay rent may be offered as part of the Los Angeles Homeless Prevention Project or get funds to pay a security deposit. There are multiple sites, including one at 1309 E 7th St, Los Angeles, California 90021. Call (213) 891-2880.

Los Angeles rent subsidized public housing agencies

Some of the primary housing agencies to call in the greater Los Angeles region are listed below. The non-profits or government entities listed below may be able to refer individuals to local emergency rent assistance programs to apply to now. They also have HUD section 8 vouchers and other financial support.

  • Palmdale Assistance Economic Development Department - The address is 38250 Sierra Highway, Palmdale, CA 93550, or call (661) 267-5164.
  • Baldwin Park Community Development Department/Housing Division. Mailing address is 14403 Pacific Ave, Baldwin Park, California 91706, or call (626) 960-4011.
  • Burbank Housing Authority, 150 N 3rd St, Burbank, CA 91502. For income based housing information or rent subsidies, call (818) 238-5160
  • El Monte Community Development Department Housing Division, (626) 580-2070
  • Norwalk Community Development Department CDBG Division. The location is 12035 Firestone Blvd, Norwalk, CA 90650, or call (562) 929-5588.
  • Downey Community Development, phone number (562) 904-7166
  • Pasadena Assistance Housing Department, call for help (626) 744-6701. The address is 649 North Fair Oaks Avenue, Pasadena, California 91103.
  • Pomona Planning and Housing Department, call (909) 620-2433
  • City of Glendale, Community Development & Housing. Address is 41 N. Glendale Ave., Glendale, CA 91206, phone (818) 548-3720
  • The Housing Authority of the City of Lawndale, runs the government funded Section 8 program, which provides a rental subsidy on behalf of elderly, very low-income families, and disabled persons. Santa Fe Springs, California (562) 347-4663
  • Long Beach Department of Community Development. The address is W. 12th Street Long Beach, CA 90813, or phone number is (562) 733-1147.
  • Monterey Park Community Development Commission, telephone number (323) 890-7168
  • Huntington Park Community Development Department, telephone number (323) 284-6300. The main address is 6550 Miles Avenue, Huntington Park, California 90255.
  • South Gate Community Development Department, dial (323) 563-9585. The housing office has an address of 8650 California Ave, South Gate, CA 90280.
  • Planning and Economic Development Department telephone (310) 605-5527
  • Lancaster Housing & Neighborhood Revitalization, dial (661) 723-6197. Mailing address is 44933 Fern Ave, Lancaster, CA 93534-2461.
  • Lynwood Housing Division. The address is 11330 Bullis Road, Lynwood, California 90262 and telephone number is (310) 603-0220
  • Santa Monica Community and Cultural Services Department, Human Services Division, dial (310) 458-8701. The housing office address is 1685 Main St, Santa Monica, CA 90401. Referrals may be given to renters on housing programs, shelters, and case management services.
  • Inglewood Community Development Department. The number is (310) 412-8844 and location is 1 W Manchester Blvd, Inglewood, CA 90301.

Additional programs for rent relief in Los Angeles

In addition to above, other organizations (both charitable and government) help low-income families with their housing needs, including rental costs. There is also a LA County Homeless Coalition that can advise tenants with an eviction notice or help homeless people get money to move or first-last months rent.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara













Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page