latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Disability benefit programs in Iowa.

Several non-profit organization and government agencies in Iowa work to help the disabled. The different agencies will work with individuals, their families, and care givers to get them the support they need. There are grants, applications to SSI or social security, transportation, housing and more. Find help for disabled people in Iowa.

Any programs administered are in addition to support that people can find from local charities, federal government benefits, or regional non-profits. The disabled with a low income can also of course apply for other government cash assistance or benefits such as LIHEAP or SNAP food stamps. There is Medicare insurance for individuals with a disability, dental, supportive housing services and more.

Grant money for disabled people in Iowa

The Iowa Department of Human Services oversees the financial assistance programs for low income, disabled residents. They are wide ranging and very often depend on federal government grants and funding. Some of the main resources are as follows.

  • Energy bill assistance from LIHEAP, with a focus on paying heating bills. Learn more on the Iowa LIHEAP phone number.
  • Medical and dental care is available from Medicaid, Medicare and community clinics in Iowa.
  • SNAP food stamps provide free food.
  • Information on SSDI disability applications, social security in Iowa, and other benefits for disabled kids or adults.
  • Several other financial aid programs and other benefits are available, including for low-income disabled people who are in an emergency. Call your local DHS office for details.

Additional IA disability benefits

Some of the partner agencies include the Department for the Blind, the state’s Vocational Rehabilitation Services, and there are also several locations for people to go to for independent living and rehabilitation agencies. Some of the programs administered, as well as the process involved, is listed below.




Awareness and Educational seminars are coordinated by staff. Topics include Americans with Disabilities Act; Awareness/Sensitivity/Diversity training; and details of the government Rehabilitation Act. All classes, training, and other advice is free.

Referrals, technical assistance, and the amount of information disbursed is significant. The disabled and others can get details on low income housing, financial aid, employment, transportation assistance, education, programs and services. The private and public sector may get assistance with compliance with various state of Iowa and federal regulations.

The Office also coordinates Youth Leadership Forum for Students with Disabilities. This is offered for both students of high school and college. Participants will Develop leadership skills; get information on government benefits; learn about other available resources; and get details on employment and Self-sufficiency. There are even free items as well as supplies for students with a disability, to help them get prepared for the school year. Learn more on free school supplies for students in high school.

This can lead to employment opportunities, more knowledge, referrals to specialists and case managers, and increased education. A number of other benefits will also occur from these sessions.

The Client Assistance Program will ensure that the disabled are treated fairly and have access to all the benefits they need. So it will ensure that organizations such as the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services, Independent Living Programs, and the Department for the Blind are set up in the state. CAP will also help Iowa residents understand the regulations, law and procedures of those agencies.

The Office and in particular the Division of Persons with Disabilities works to enhance self-sufficiency and employment. The staff from the center reduce barriers to finding and holding a job. Clients can get assessment and guidance, information, access to training, referrals and negotiation services. They also oversee the federal government mandated Client Assistance Program (CAP).





The Legal Center for Special Education coordinates legal aid (for free or low cost) and advocacy for parents of a child with a disability. There is also free Legal Aid attorneys in Iowa for low income individuals, including the disabled. The main office is in Des Moines and can be reached at 1-800-532-1275 or (515) 309-0033. Get a free lawyer consult in Iowa.

Job placement for adults with a handicapped are offered. The Office and in particular the Division of Persons with Disabilities works to enhance self-sufficiency and employment. The staff from the center reduce barriers to finding and holding a job. Clients can get assessment and guidance, information, access to training, referrals and negotiation services. They also oversee the federal government mandated Client Assistance Program (CAP).

Other Iowa agencies that are disability programs

Maybe the leading organization is the Iowa Office of Persons with Disabilities (phone (515) 242-5655 or (888) 219-0471), and they can serve as a great place for information or referrals. They also run many of their own programs. Other agencies are below too.Help for disabled people Iowa

Iowa Program for Assistive Technology (IPAT)
Center for Disabilities and Development, The University of Iowa
Address is 100 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242-1011. Phone number - (319) 353-6900
The non-profit IPAT works with service providers, family members, and state of Iowa and local agencies/organizations to promote assistive technology. It helps with employment, education, health care, community living and recreation, and phone telecommunications.

Iowa Department for the Blind
524 Fourth Street, Des Moines, IA 50309-2364. Phone: 515-281-1333
Assists the severely visually impaired and blind. Assistance and benefits coordinated will help them live independently and work competitively. Programs include vocational rehabilitation services, business enterprises program, independent living rehabilitation services, and education.

On With Life, Inc.
Ankeny Office, 715 SW Ankeny Road, Ankeny, Iowa 50023. Call (800) 728-0645
Assists and runs programs for those with a brain injury or some type of life altering condition. Medical care, case management, information on Medicaid, and more support is offered.




Centers for Independent Living (CILs)
Black Hawk Center for Independent Living
Main office is 312 Jefferson Street, Waterloo, IA 50701. Toll-free number is (888) 291-7754 or (515) 282-0275

The ARC of Iowa - State Headquarters
Main address is 114 S 11th St, West Des Moines, IA 50265. Phone: (515) 664-2252

Deaf Services Commission of Iowa (DSCI)
Iowa Department of Human Rights, Lucas State Office Building
Location is 321 East 12th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319. Call (515) 281-3164

Dental Care for Persons with Disabilities
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
100 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1011. Phone: (319) 356-1513 or ‪319-335-7373
Free dental assistance is available from clinics in Iowa, volunteer dentists as well as the Dental Care for Persons with Disabilities. The programs are run in partnership with the University of Iowa as well as the Department of Pediatric Dentistry, community health centers and other government organizations. Learn more on finding a dentist for disabled adults that take Medicaid.

Early ACCESS -
Programs for Infants and Toddlers with Disabilities: Ages Birth Through 3
Address: 1111 9th St #320, Des Moines, IA 50314. Phone: (888) 425-4371

Iowa Commission of Persons with Disabilities
Address - 321 E. 12th St., Des Moines, IA 50319. Call (515) 242-5655 or Phone: (515) 242-6119
Deals with employment issues. Clients can get referral, assessment, information, cash benefits to pay for employment expenses, guidance, and job training.

Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services
510 East 12th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0240. Phone - 515-281-4211

Division of Mental Health and Disability Services (MHDS), Iowa Department of Human Services
Hoover State Office Building, Location of the center is 1305 E. Walnut, Des Moines, IA 50319-0114. Call  1-800-972-2017 or (515) 281-5126





Iowa Respite and Crisis Care Coalition
2670 106th St Ste 220, Urbandale, IA 50322. Phone: (515) 277-1050
The agency and its staff work to provide temporary relief to caregivers or parents of individuals with a disability. The Respite Care can be provided to individuals of any age, whether children, seniors, or adults. Get referrals to benefits available to the community, family support, and other aid.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page