latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State Financial Resources

Assistance Programs by County

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Extra Income & Work From Home Jobs

Public Assistance

Disability Assistance Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bill Help

Free Healthcare

Free Medical Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Car Loan Assistance

Interest Free Loans

Debt Help

How to Save Money

Search the Website


Utility and energy bill assistance programs Indiana.

Utility companies, charities and the Indiana government offer families and individuals various financial aid programs for paying utility, heating, or energy bills. Resources can help people pay their regular monthly electric bill, and emergency assistance may be offered to help prevent a disconnection of service. There are also grants to help pay for a deposit to reconnect utilities. Assistance programs, such as free weatherization, can also help people save money on their energy bills.

Funding for most of these programs is limited, and money may be provided by donations, non-profits, or charities. The financial assistance or grant programs will be administered by the non-profits or directly by the utility companies that operate in Indiana. In addition to these resources, the low income can read about other national and public government run utility assistance programs.

Help from utility providers in Indiana

Central Indiana Power - Operation Roundup is offered to customers of this company. Financial assistance and aid can be used to assist people with paying for expenses such as medical care or equipment, food, groceries, clothing, housing, rent, etc. One of the interesting items about this service is that no funds will be used to pay electric bills. 477-2200 or 800-336-7362

Citizens Gas – Assistance is offered from Warm Heart, Warm Home Foundation. This may be able to help both families and individuals who are faced with financial hardships or some type of emergency. Call 317-924-3311.

Citizens Gas offers several other financial assistance programs, grants and payment plans to Indiana customers. Continue with Citizens Gas financial assistance programs.

Decatur County REMC - Customer donations and private fund raining from Operation Roundup may be able to provide charitable assistance to low income and qualified individuals, families and organizations. Funds will not be used for utility or heating bill payments. Call 812-663-3391.

Duke Energy – Financial assistance is provided from Helping Hand. Aid may be available for low-income customers who are disabled, or who are at least 60 years old, and of course the customers must meet certain income guidelines. If found to be eligible for aid, the customer may receive a one-time $60 payment or grant to help pay bills. Beginning February 1 of each year, eligible customers may apply for the Helping Hand program by calling 1-800-521-2232. Learn more on utility bill assistance from Duke energy.




Duke Energy – They offer additional energy conserving programs from the Low-Income Weatherization Program. Aid is offered through a partnership with the federal government as well as the state of Indiana. The energy conserving program is designed to provide energy-saving installations, conserving measures and energy education at no cost to our customers who qualify for heating bill assistance or the government weatherization program as part of the state or federal government programs. Contact Duke Energy at 1-800-521-2232 or feel free to call Indiana’s local Community Action Agencies for more information or details.

Indiana Michigan Power – Low income may be able to apply for Energy Share. The program provides grants and financial assistance with paying for electric bills for eligible low-income customers. Apply for Energy Share by setting up an appointment with a local nonprofit organization, such as the Salvation Army or your local community action agency. Or, if you live in Elkhart, LaPorte, St. Joseph, Marshall and Fulton counties Indiana, call REAL Services at 574-232-6501 or 800-225-3367.

Indiana Michigan Power - Low income customers have other resources available to them. The energy provider works closely with non-profit community action agencies and the Salvation Army to administer cash grants and financial assistance to the needy. Government programs such as LIHEAP are also available as funding allows. Read Indiana Michigan Power assistance programs.

Indianapolis Power and Light - This energy provider has customers in Marion County, the greater Indianapolis region and throughout the central part of the state. Several hundred thousands people receive their utility services from IPL. Many individuals call on the company for assistance with paying their energy bills. Programs that are offered include payment extensions, government aid, and others. Read more on Indianapolis Power and Light assistance programs.





Northern Indiana Public Service Co. (NIPSCO) – A program known as the Winter Warmth Program may be able to help qualified customers. Individuals and families will be eligible to receive up to $450 in annual energy or heating bill assistance. The low income as well as those people who are experiencing financial hardship, as determined by an administering Winter Warmth agency, may be able to receive emergency energy assistance. Contact the Winter Warmth energy assistance agency in your county, and the phone numbers are as follows. Valparaiso, 219-464-9736. Crown Point, 219-663-0627. Hammond, 219-932-4800. Gary, 219-886-3155.

Northern Indiana Public Service Company – The Gift of Warmth is an emergency fund that was created to assist NIPSCO customers who typically don't qualify for energy or heating bill assistance under Indiana's LIHEAP guidelines. The fund focuses on customers who have received utility or heating disconnect notices and who are low income. The non-profit Salvation Army offices administer the funds for individuals. Call 1-800-464-7726. Get additional details on NIPSCO assistance programs.

Parke County REMC – A program known as Operation Roundup may have funds that can be used to pay for crucial needs or emergencies that people may be facing such as lack of food, clothing, shelter, medical care and education, housing expenses, etc. but the program is not limited to these categories. 765-569-3133 or 800-537-3913

South Central Indiana REMC – Local agencies run the Operation Roundup program. Emergency funds and cash aid are distributed to both non-profit organizations and funds can be offered to individuals in need of help. To receive an Operation RoundUp application for a not-for-profit organization or individual in need of help, call 1-800-264-7362.

Universal Service Program – This is offered to Vectren and Citizens Gas customers. Assistance is available to people who have applied for the state and federal government LIHEAP program. All the financial aid is administered through local community action agencies and non-profits.

People who are enrolled in LIHEAP will automatically be enrolled in the new USP and will receive utility bill reductions in addition to LIHEAP. Monthly bill reductions provided to customers will range from 9 percent to 32 percent of the total bill (not including LIHEAP benefits), and the exact amount will depend on the consumer's total household income level and exact utility or energy provider. Weatherization services may also be offered.

Vectren – The Share the Warmth program can help people save money from weatherization. Apply at your local community action agency. A number of other resources are provided for the low income in Indiana. Click here for additional financial aid programs Vectren Indiana.

Government energy bill assistance in Indiana

Indiana General Assistance and Poor Relief.  Towns across Indiana are required by law to offer this. Financial assistance and support is offered for housing and rent expenses, utility bills, food, heating bills, and medical assistance. Townships are local governmental units within counties and cities, with elected boards and trustees. Call your local town and ask about this option/program.







Low income assistance programs - Qualified families can receive help from LIHEAP, the states Energy Assistance Program, weatherization, and/or Home Energy Conservation. These are the main federal government funded resources for lower income Indiana residents. Depending on the program, there may be free government grants to help pay utility or heating bills or free energy conservation measures in the state. More details on EAP energy assistance in Indiana.

Winter Assistance Fund – The United Way administers this financial assistance fund. It may be able to provide grants and financial assistance to families who are not eligible for other government or state of Indiana energy assistance programs. To apply for aid through the Winter Assistance Fund, individuals or families should go to their nearest community center or township trustee or they may decide to call 317-923-1466 to learn of a location to go to in their area.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site