latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Greenville County South Carolina rent assistance.

Greenville County South Carolina has a number of rental assistance and low income housing programs. Most of them are run by non-profits and are focused on stopping evictions. Find how to get help paying rent and other housing expenses and bills.

Low income individuals have a number of resources and services available to them in Greenville. Among them include emergency rent assistance, section 8 housing, and grants and cash assistance. The resources are available from a number of non-profits, charities, and government housing and rent assistance programs. In addition, counselors can often refer applicants to eviction prevention programs or other local services as well.

Below you will find an extensive listing of agencies, phone numbers, and addresses of organizations in Greenville County SC to call for emergency rental assistance. Or they can direct families to other housing solutions.

AID Upstate, Inc.  – This non-profit may be able to offer short-term rental/mortgage, housing expenses and utilities assistance. There may also be help with some move-in expenses. 864-250-0607

Anderson Interfaith Ministries (AIM) – Supports only the Anderson County South Carolina and residents of that county that are in the city of Greenville. It may be able to provide emergency financial assistance with paying rent, utilities, and security deposits. Call 864-226-2273

Operation Hope of Landrum – Rent help offered to Landrum, Campobello, Gowensville, and Greenville South Carolina. 864-457-2812

City of Greenville, Community Development Division – Call 864-467-4570. This government agency partners with agencies and coordinates housing programs. Many are funded by the federal government, such as section 8. They run the Community Development Division, which is a leading source for information and guidance. Call the 206 South Main Street, Greenville, SC government agency at 864-467-4570





Clemson Community Care - Provides financial assistance and advice for individuals to find shelter for the night. 864-653-4460

Foothills Family Resources – Income eligible people that are are in a crisis can get help for paying mortgage, rent, or other housing expenses as funding allows. 3 Main St., Slater, SC 29683, call (864) 836-1100

Gateway House – The run a very focused program only. The non-profit will only offer housing opportunities for gateway house members. Call 864-242-9193

Greenville Area Interfaith Hospitality Network - Provides free food, shelter, low income housing, and employment assistance to homeless families in the region. Call 864-271-3424

Greenville Housing Futures, Inc. – Dial 864-370-2020 to get information on low income housing from this organization.

Public Housing Authority – This local government agency can offer low income, subsidized housing for low-income persons through both Public Housing and Section 8 Voucher Rental Assistance programs. The towns in the Greenville South Carolina area supported and phone numbers to call include 864-467-4273.

Greenville Housing Authority (phone (864) 467-4250) accepts applications for the South Carolina section 8 housing program.

United Way of Greenville County – Funds and partners with local charities and non-profits. A great place to call for information and referrals. The non-profit may have information on government grants for paying back rent, low income apartments, and more. Dial 864-467-3333

Greenville County Redevelopment Authority runs the homeless prevention program. It can provide rent assistance, credit counseling, and money to pay for moving expenses or security deposits as well as other housing related programs. The county agency can coordinate and offer low cost, yet safe, housing for low and moderate-income citizens. Call (864) 242-9801





Greenville Rescue Mission - Provides shelter and other aid, including counseling, to homeless men and emergency housing. When the client is stabilized they can be places into transitional housing or apply for security deposit help. 864-242-6933

Greer Relief and Resources – The towns and cities of Duncan, Greenville, Greer, Lyman, Taylors, and Wellford are supported. The non-profit provides assistance with paying rent. In addition, the Agency may refer clients and low income families to other appropriate agencies and charities which offer long-term case management and counseling services.

Resources include loans for rent/mortgage assistance and more. These can be applied for, and people who have received an eviction notice may qualify for partial assistance with monthly rent.  202 Victoria St., Greer, South Carolina 29651-3436. Call 864-848-5355

Golden Strip Emergency Relief and Resources – The regions of Northern Laurens and Southern Greenville can apply for help. An emergency program can help pay rent and other housing expenses, such as energy bills. 864-967-2022

Helping Hands of Woodruff – Rental assistance programs are administered. Dial 864-476-2401. They support Woodruff and Enoree South Carolina.

Human Relations Commission – Does not offer direct financial aid, but can help resolve landlord/tenant disputes in Greenville County and can also offer fair housing counseling and case management. Call 864-467-7095.

Piedmont Community Action serves the working poor, unemployed, and low income in Greenville South Carolina. The non-profit community action agency may be able to offer rent assistance and emergency aid, including loans. Call 864-585-8183

Project Care, Inc./Stephen’s House – Offers counseling, referrals and advice, including long-term housing and supportive program. There may be referrals to funds for rent, personal stabilization, individualized case management, and development to the low income. Call 864-467-0102

Safe Harbor, Inc. - Provides short term emergency shelter for victims of domestic violence and their children. Call 864-467-1177 or the toll free Crisis Line ins Greenville County. 1-800-291-2139.

Greenville Legal Services - Attorneys working on a pro-bono basis offer free advice. The assistance can stop evictions, help rehouse residents, and offer support with unsafe housing. The firm can be reached at (864) 679-3232.

Emergency homeless prevention and rehousing services help low income Greenville tenants. The government may have cash grants for rent, which both single parents and adults can apply for. There is also legal aid used to stop evictions, money for security or rental deposits, and counseling. More on Greenville County eviction assistance.

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church, which is based in Simpsonville (call (864) 263-3445), offers financial support for rent. Clients can come from all backgrounds, and include single parents, disabled, and the working poor.





Greenville Salvation Army – One of the leading national non-profit charity organizations. The charity can provides assistance with housing, utilities, monthly rent, and food. Call the branch near you. Anderson: 864-225-7381, Gaffney: 864-489-2530, Greenville: 864-235-4803.

Shepherd’s Gate - Miracle Hill Ministries – This organization offers a shelter for homeless women and families and emergency housing. There may be occasional short term assistance for rent arrearage. Greenville County based, and call 864-268-5589

Sunbelt Human Advancement Resources, Inc. (SHARE) – A number of housing programs are offered, including transitional housing and case management for the homeless. Other resources include supportive housing for the homeless, and utilities / rent assistance for low-income persons and even homebuyer programs. Call the Greenville non-profit at 864-269-0700 or dial 864-422-9910.

Catholic Charities of the Piedmont Deanery – Receive direct rent payment assistance as well as information/referral. Staff also help senior citizens in the form of advocacy and referrals. Location is 204 Douthit St., Ste. A-1 at Gallivan Center in Greenville, SC 29601. Call (864) 242-2233

Prince of Peace Catholic Church - Society of St. Vincent de Paul – Offers a number of services and resources to anyone who needs help, including outreach. There may be money for partial rent payments to stop an eviction. 1209 Brushy Creek Rd., Taylors, South Carolina 29687-4103, Phone number (864) 331-3937.

United Ministries offers rent help to Greenville County residents. 864-232-6463

Upstate Homeless Coalition – Housing and counseling is offered for people with medical needs, such as HIV or AIDs. 864-241-0462


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site