Greenville County eviction and rehousing assistance.

Emergency eviction prevention assistance can help Greenville County South Carolina tenants that are facing homelessness. The programs, which rely on funds from the United States Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as well as other organizations, can provide support in the form of grants, legal advice, and even relocation services if the current home is too expensive. What may be provided is as follows.

-SC Legal Services has an office in the region and they can offer free advice to contest an illegal eviction.
-Money from the United Way, agencies such as Upstate Homeless Coalition Of South Carolina or HUD grants can help with arrears on rent, water or electric bills, and other costs.
-Short term housing (including shelters or motel vouchers) may be arranged for adults or single parents with children and veterans.
-Rapid rehousing in Greenville County will help a homeless person find a home, pay any deposits, and get established.

Each non-profit or government agency that offers homeless prevention services will have their own separate application processes in place. In almost all instances, administering agencies such as United Housing Connections will require the applicant to have a low income. They will also tend to be close to, if not be in receipt, of a pay or quit notice from their landlord. So the family needs to be on the verge of eviction.

Non-profit eviction help – There are many agencies in the Greenville South Carolina that advocate for the homeless and families living in poverty. They try to reduce, if not stop, the number of homeless families and individuals in the county. Most groups rely on money from the United Way, donations from the community, or even Salvation Army fund raisers. Some of the primary non-profits include the Upstate Homeless Coalition Of South Carolina as well as United Housing Connections.

The approach emphasized is as a hand up, and not a hand out. When a family has an eviction notice from their property owner, it is often too late to get help. Instead an individual should be seeking support much earlier, as soon as they start to fall behind on their rent or other housing needs, such as utilities.





Applications will be closely reviewed by staff from these groups. Some even also use volunteers to help fill the demand. These non-profits that are involved in homeless prevention, some of which may even be faith based groups, will no discriminate based on age, religion, or gender. There may be eviction assistance for everyone from single mothers to the underemployed or non-English speakers as well.

Some Legal Services that operate in upstate South Carolina can also be thought of as non-profit. The technical term may be pro-bono, but in either way attorneys will volunteer their time to fight an eviction. This service is free to people who qualify based on income or age, such as senior citizens.

Greenville County government affiliated homeless assistance – There are several available in the region. Referrals can often be given to them from a non-profit. The federal government funds these eviction and rapid rehousing programs annually, so in some years there may be more or fewer people that are assisted from them.

Supportive Services for Veteran's Families is used to help homeless, or those on the verge of it, that are also low income veterans. HUD will not only help them, but also their immediate families, such as children, spouses, and widows. SSVF will provide support such as shelters, lodging in a motel, grants for security deposits or rent, and more. It also stresses self-sufficiency around employment and long term stability.





The Shelter Plus Care is used to stop eviction of the disabled or mentally ill. Greenville South Carolina human service agencies can direct a qualified individual to it. There will need to be proof of the condition, but when qualified, a number of different resources (including financial or legal) may be offered.

The money to pay for these, and other government aid, can come from ESG grants. Housing and Urban Development will allocate funds to the county each year. All uses need to be for housing related issues, whether it is eviction prevention or some other need.

When facing an emergency, and need eviction help or other information on housing resources in Greenville County, dial 864-908-3699 to reach United Housing. Another intake line is (864) 269-0700.




By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy