Genesee County transitional housing and shelters.

When facing a housing challenge, residents of Genesee County have several options available to them. There are shelters as well as transitional housing programs, and the agencies that operate them provide a number of additional resources to the homeless and families in poverty.

The first goal is to get the individual into some form of housing or support system. Then, after that, case managers will work with the client to provide assistance such as food, clothing, life skills training, and self-sufficiency.

This can lead to eventual placement into some form of long term, transitional or public housing apartment in the greater Flint Michigan region. Note, there are also cold weather shelters for people that have no where else to go in the winter, and this is for the short term.

Youth Corporation Traverse Place of Genesee County
Location is 512 S. Grand Traverse
Flint, MI 48502
(810) 341-6328
Assistance is for residents under the age of 20, and it includes shelter, job placement, and permanent placement into low income housing.

Shelter of Flint
Location is 924 Cedar Street
Flint, MI 48503
Dial (810) 238-4711
Many services are available from this non-profit, which also offers transitional housing. There is information on financial aid as well as guidance for homeless individuals, including both parents and children. The agency will allow Genesee County families to stay for up to 6 months.

Transition House For Women
Flint, MI 48503
(810) 234-8010
Not only is shelter offered, but other support services are for women, including single parents.




Resource Genesee
605 North Saginaw Street
Flint, Michigan 48502
Primary phone number is (810) 767-0500
They run a program known as One Stop, which can offer shelter and placement into low income apartments and homes. Many charities and churches in Genesee County also partner with the center, and offer funds for rent or a security deposit and other services, such as food, clothing, copies of  identification and birth certificates, and more.

Carriage Town Ministries Family Shelter
705 Garland St,
Flint Township, MI 48503
Main phone (810) 233-8787
Emergency shelter is for homeless men, women, children, and seniors. Assistance also includes hot meals, clothing, and support from staff and volunteers.

R.E.A.C.H. Runaway Program
Main address is 914 Church St.
Flint Township, MI 48502
(810) 233-8700

Flint Housing Commission
3820 Richfield Rd,
Flint Township, MI 48506
(810) 736-3050
Numerous resources are available, ranging from information on public housing to applications for senior 8 vouchers. The staff can also refer the poor that have a source of income to local transitional housing programs and agencies.





Center For Higher Educational Achievement
Main address is 517 East Fifth Avenue
Flint, Michigan 48503
Telephone - (810) 553-2140
Safe and affordable low income housing is available. Clients can get other help from CHEA's Education Department, such as budgeting, information on how to buy a home, or applications for section 8 HUD vouchers.

Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center (ARC)
2200 North Dort Highway
Flint MI 48506
A number of services are offered from this center as well as nearby Salvation Army locations in Genesee County. There are cold weather shelters as well referrals to more mid to medium term housing. Some resources are also focused on senior citizens in the region.

YWCA of Greater Flint/SAFE House
310 E 3rd St.
Flint Township, MI 48502
Call (810) 238-7621
The charity helps women and children in the region. Assistance can include clothing, referrals to clothing closets, and of course safe, affordable place and bed to sleep in.



By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy