Cole County assistance programs.
A couple different agencies and non-profits to contact for help in Cole County and Jefferson City include Central Missouri Community Action as well as the Salvation Army of Jefferson City. Learn about the assistance programs they offer below, and get information on the resources they offer to people who need help.
You will also find information on food vouchers and pantries, and other local charity organizations.
Cole County and Jefferson City Salvation Army
This non-profit social services agency also a wide variety of services, including temporary financial assistance, clothing vouchers, and other aid to those in need. They do have criteria that need to be met, and may require the applicant to attend workshops on counseling and budgeting. The various services offered include:
- Clothing Vouchers - For gently used or possibly new clothing
- Electric, Gas, and Heating Bill Payment Assistance- They may offer their own financial grants for these bills, or aid from other sources. For example the federal government LIHEAP program, or direct financial assistance from utility companies.
- Rent Payment Assistance - Funds to pay rent and prevent an eviction.
- Water Bill Service Payment Assistance - Money may be even available to pay for your water bill, or to prevent your service from being disconnected.
The Salvation Army is based in Jefferson City Missouri and can be reached at (573) 635-0117.
Community Action agencies
There are locations across Missouri and that also support the county of Cole. The resources provided will vary by site and funding levels. A sampling of the assistance programs offered may include the following.
The Missouri and federal government Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program has two components, which are referenced below.
- Energy Crisis Intervention Program - This program distributes aid during both the summer and winter. The ECIP program will help families or individuals who have a disconnection notice or who are threatened with a shut off of their service before financial assistance is provided to pay for their energy bills. Applicants who are accepted into the program can receive up to $800 in the winter and $300 during the summer season to pay for their bills, provided there are funds available to distribute. Clients of the program may also get assistance as many times as needed, provided they have a shut off notice from their utility company and provided have not reached their maximum benefit levels for that particular season.
- Energy Bill Assistance - This can pay for a winter heating bill.
Other programs that are potentially offered by the community action agency include Section 8 housing, Career Assistance Programs, Weatherization, and Head start.
The centers will also focuses on satisfying basic needs of low income families in Cole County, including the homeless. So the non-profits may also offer them access to funds to pay rent, food, or a security deposit. Of course, job placement and assistance is also a focus from services such as Life Skills Learning Opportunities. Learn more on HUD programs or call a community action agency in Cole County for referrals and details on their services. Click more information.
Some of the local organizations that provide food to low income, the working poor, elderly, and unemployed include:
- First Christian Church Jefferson City - Food Pantry that is held every Tuesday from 12 to 4pm. Individuals can visit the center once a month.. (573) 636-5157
- Samaritan Center Interfaith Agency - Offers US commodity and food pantry items. Dial (573) 634-7776.
- First Church of God Jefferson City - Emergency food if necessary is offered. There are also groceries, vouchers, and other programs run. Dial (573) 635-0963.
Dental and medical care
Cole County residents can contact Samaritan Center Interfaith Agency at (573) 634-7776. They also run a dental clinic that accepts patients by appointment only. Extractions and fillings free to qualified individuals. They also offer general health care for free, on a walk in basis. Applicants for the medical care cannot have medicaid or private insurance. Learn more on free health care programs.