latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State Financial Resources

Assistance Programs by County

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Extra Income & Work From Home Jobs

Public Assistance

Disability Assistance Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bill Help

Free Healthcare

Free Medical Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Car Loan Assistance

Interest Free Loans

Debt Help

How to Save Money

Search the Website


California disability benefit programs.

California offers some programs that focus on the specific needs of disabled residents. These will be in addition to all of the other local, state, and federal resources that are available. Examples of what may be provided by the Department of Developmental Services as well as local non-profits listed below to individuals or families facing a disability include additional housing support, transportation, in home services and care, emergency financial help and much more.

Locating affordable housing in California can be a challenge for anyone. It can also be difficult to pay the rent on it. Having a safe and affordable place to live is key to to individuals with disabilities. So meeting this need is always a focus. The state of California and other non-profits work to allow them to continue to live in their local communities.

Mostly due to the high, and increasing costs of housing and rental expenses in California, many families supported by the regional disability centers require assistance in the form of subsidies or vouchers. These are required in order to make housing more affordable to them. DDS also works with developers and programs such as section 811 to coordinate resources. There are also a number of emergency rental assistance programs available

Supported Living Services is government administered service for qualified adults with developmental disabilities. This is a service that is offered for people that choose to live in homes that they either rent or own.

As part of this program, staff from Department of Developmental Services can assist them with selecting and moving into a home. They can help them acquire household furnishings or choose personal attendants and housemates. Also get help with performing common daily living activities and receive additional support in an emergency.

Transportation services may be offered to individuals with some form of disability. The agency will coordinate assistance including public transit, partner with specialized transportation companies and offer other day ride type programs. Additional transportation services in California may include help in boarding and exiting a vehicle as well as general assistance while being transported.




In-Home or Respite Services is short term, non-medical care and/or supervision provided in the person's home. This can be regularly scheduled or intermittent. Some of the specific services provided can include the following.

  • Staff will help the person attend to basic self-help needs that would ordinarily be performed by the family member.
  • The goal is to assist the disabled family member so they can continue to live at home.
  • DDS will coordinate appropriate care and supervision to protect that person's safety.

Community Care Facilities are available from the State of California Department of Social Services to provide full time, around the clock non-medical residential care to disabled adults and children. The individual needs to be in serious need of transportation, personal services, supervision, and/or help in satisfying other daily living activities.

Another option are the Intermediate Care Facilities. These health facilities, known as ICF, are licensed by the California Department of Public Health and can also coordinate 24-hour-per-day services.

Individuals with a disability who live in their own home can explore the state's In-Home Supportive Services. This will provide them with personal care and domestic services. The focus is on the blind, disabled, or otherwise affected. This assistance is provided to those disabled California residents who otherwise might be placed in a hospital or some type of out-of-home public care facility.

This IHSS resource is administered at the local county level and by the California Department of Social Services. The organization sets the rules and regulations at the state level. To learn more or apply, call your local county welfare department or center as indicated below.





Independent Living services are provided to adults with some form of disability, including developmental. It provides them with functional skills training necessary to secure a self-sustaining, independent living situation in their town or county. The programs focus on providing functional skills training for adults who do not possess basic self-help skills but who need some more minimal support.

Many individuals on disability live on a fixed income. The cost of living is so high in California that they often need help in saving money, budgeting, and making ends meet. There are many assistance programs, counselors, and other resources out there for those in need. Everything from saving on food to medical, housing, shopping, and other living expenses. Find information on how to save money.

Employment and income programs for the disabled in California

Work Activity Programs, or WAP, are administered by the  Department of Rehabilitation. Programs provided to qualified disabled individuals include paid work opportunities, work adjustment and supportive habilitation services. These are offered in a sheltered setting. Department of Developmental Services and the WAPs provide paid work opportunities in accordance with Federal Government and State Fair Labor Standards.

Some of these services may include money management skills, developing good work safety practices, and other appropriate employment habits. There are also easy ways for the disabled to make free money using smartphone apps. Additional supportive habilitation services may include community resource and social skill training as long as this can help people achieve their long term vocational objectives.

Supported Employment and related services are offered by the Department of Rehabilitation. These are offered from vocational rehabilitation programs and the state can help people find competitive work in a community integrated setting. The program is mostly for persons with severe disabilities who need ongoing support and assistance. As part of this program, the support is usually provided to the disabled individual by a job coach who meets regularly with the person on the job to help him or her learn the necessary behaviors and skills to work independently. While the the Department of Rehabilitation oversees the program, they may partner with other regional centers or employers as needed.

Another employment type program is Work Services. This will help address the career and employment needs of California residents with developmental disabilities. It can provide opportunities through Work Activity Programs (WAPs) as well as Supported Employment Programs (SEPs).

Education Services are also available for Children with Developmental Disabilities. The main main government entities that oversee this are the  California Department of Education (CDE) as well as the State Department of Developmental Services (DDS). Among services provided are early intervention resources to children 0 - 3 years old and the state also coordinates special education programs to children and teenagers under the age of 21.







Many of the regional education and non-profit agencies provide special education and related services to children with disabilities in environments including school, the home, public or private preschools or child care settings. Regional centers may also offer some assistance.

Medical and dental services are generally available from government programs such as Medi-Cal as well as free community clinics in California. This can provide low income disabled residents with the means to get their medical needs met, including prescription drugs and any other needed medications. While in some cases the patient will need to contribute towards paying their bills, in other cases all care is offered for free. Your local  Department of Developmental Services office may be the best place to call for information and applications.

A number of other assistance programs may be offered to the disabled in California. Some other resources may include Prenatal Diagnostic Evaluation, Therapy Services, Residential Services, Psychological, Counseling and Behavioral Services, and Equipment and Supplies. Never hesitate to ask about other resources.

Department of Developmental Services locations

To get more information on assistance offered for the disabled, including public assistance or cash compensation resources, residents can contact their local centers.

Alta Regional Center
2241 Harvard Street
Sacramento, CA 95815
Telephone number is (916) 978-6400
Counties supported are Alpine, Colusa, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, Sierra, Sutter, Yolo, and Yuba.

900 East Main Street, Suite 102
Grass Valley, California 95945
Telephone number is (530) 272-4231

344 Placerville Drive, Suite 1
Placerville, California 95667
Dial (530) 626-1353 for intake.

1620 Santa Clara Drive, #100
Roseville, CA 95661
Call (916) 786-8110

Address is 2489 Lake Tahoe Blvd., Suite 1
Star Lake Building
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Telephone: (530) 542-0442

250 West Main Street, Suite 100
Woodland, California 95695
Telephone: (530) 666-3391

10775 Pioneer Trail, Suite 212
Truckee, CA 96161
Telephone: (530) 550-2220
Fax: (530) 550-2217





1506 Starr Drive, Suite A
Yuba City, CA 95993
Telephone: (530) 674-3070

The Central Valley Regional Center
4615 North Marty
Fresno, CA 93722-4186
Telephone: (559) 276-4300
The main location that serves the entire counties of Fresno, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, and Tulare. Some of the programs offered for the disabled from this center include health care, cash benefits, and other financial aid.

530 West 16th Street
Merced, CA 95340
Telephone: (209) 723-4245

Main address is 5441 West Cypress Avenue
Visalia, California 93277
(559) 738-2200

The Eastern Los Angeles Regional Center
1000 South Fremont
Alhambra, CA 91802
For intake, dial (626) 299-4700
This disability center serves the regions of Alhambra, East Los Angeles, Northeast, and Whittier within the county of Los Angeles.

13215 Penn Street, Suite 410
Whittier, CA 90602-1718
(562) 698-0146
(562) 693-0158

The Far Northern Regional Center
1900 Churn Creek Rd., Suite 319
Redding, CA 96002
Telephone number is (530) 222-4791
Provides services in the counties of Butte, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta, Siskiyou, Tehama, and Trinity.

Location is 1377 East Lassen Avenue
Chico, CA 95973-7824
Telephone: (530) 895-8633

401 Peninsula Drive, Suite 2
Lake Almanor, California 96137
Main number is (530) 596-4266

421 Chestnut Street
Mt. Shasta, CA 96067
Dial (530) 926-6496

Frank D. Lanterman Regional Center
3303 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90010
Telephone: (213) 383-1300
Residents of Central, Glendale, Hollywood-Wilshire, and Pasadena within the county of Los Angeles should call this center.

The Golden Gate Regional Center
1355 Market Street, Suite 220
San Francisco, California 94103
Telephone: (415) 546-9222
Covers the counties of Marin, San Francisco, and San Mateo.





3130 La Selva Drive, Suite 202
San Mateo, CA 94403
Telephone: (650) 574-9232

The Harbor Regional Center
Del Amo Business Plaza
21231 Hawthorne Boulevard
Torrance, CA 90503
Main telephone: (310) 540-1711
This sites supports the disabled in Bellflower, Harbor, Long Beach, and Torrance within the city of Los Angeles.

The Inland Regional Center
Main address 1365 S. Waterman Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92408
Telephone: (909) 890-3000
Provides assistance and information on disability programs to the counties of Riverside and San Bernardino.

1500 Iowa Avenue, Suite 100
Riverside, CA 92507
Telephone: (951) 826-2608

The Kern Regional Center
3200 North Sillect Avenue
Bakersfield, CA 93308
Call (661) 327-8531
Helps residents of Inyo, Kern, and Mono.

459 West Line Street
Bishop, CA 93514
(760) 873-7411

825 North Downs, Suite D
Ridgecrest, CA 93555
Telephone: (760) 375-9512

Address is 20031 W. Valley Blvd., Suite C
Tehachapi, CA 93561
Main phone - (661) 822-1288

7707 Panama Road
Lamont, California 93241
(661) 845-2286

29 Emmons Park Drive
Taft, California 93268
Primary phone - (661) 765-7294

428 James Street, Suite 5
Shafter, CA 93263
Dial (661) 746-3918 for details on disability benefits. The site can help with the application process and provide other support.

601 High Street, Suite D
Delano, CA 93215
Telephone: (661) 725-2127

The North Bay Regional Center
10 Executive Court, Suite A
Napa, CA 94558
Main telephone: (707) 256-1100
Serves residents of the counties of Napa, Solano, and Sonoma.

2351 Mendocino Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
Telephone: (707) 569-2000

The North Los Angeles County Regional Center
15400 Sherman Way, Suite 170
Van Nuys, California 91406-4211
For information, dial (818) 778-1900
This sites provides assistance to the health districts of East Valley, San Fernando, and West Valley within the city of Los Angeles. Thousands of disabled families turn to the centers for help, referrals, and government benefits.

43210 Gingham Avenue, Suite 6
Lancaster, California 93535-4512
Telephone: (661) 945-6761

Main address is 25360 Magic Mountain Parkway, Suite #150
Santa Clarita, CA 91355
Telephone: (661) 775-8450

The Redwood Coast Regional Center
525 Second Street, Suite 300
Eureka, CA 95501
Telephone: (707) 445-0893
Covers the families and individuals in the counties of Del Norte, Humboldt, Mendocino, and Lake.

1301-A Northcrest Drive
Crescent City, California 95531
Telephone: (707) 464-7488

270 Chestnut Street, Suite A
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Phone - (707) 964-6387





1116 Airport Park Boulevard
Ukiah, CA 95482
Telephone: (707) 462-3832 or 800-281-3832

180 3rd Street
Lakeport, California 95453
Cal the office at (707) 262-0470 or 888-909-0470

The Regional Center of the East Bay
500 Davis Street, Suite 100
San Leandro, CA 94577
Telephone: (510) 618-6100
Serves the disabled in the counties of Alameda and Contra Costa.

Contra Costa County
2151 Salvio Street, Suite 365
Concord, CA 94520
(925) 691-2300

The Regional Center of Orange County
1525 North Tustin Avenue
Santa Ana, CA 92705
Dial (714) 796-5100

West Area Office
5555 Garden Grove Blvd, #100
Westminster, CA 92683
Telephone: (714) 796-2900
Provides assistance to households in eastern Orange County. Call for information on cash assistance, food, and medical referrals.

North Area Office
3111 North Tustin Street, Suite 150
Orange, CA 92865-1752
Telephone: (714) 796-3700

The San Andreas Regional Center
300 Orchard City Drive, Suite 170
Campbell, CA 95008
Telephone: (408) 374-9960
This location supports the counties of Monterey, San Benito, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz.

344 Salinas Street, Ste. 207
Salinas, CA 93901-2727
Telephone: (831) 759-7500

1110 Main Street
Watsonville, CA 95076
Telephone: (831) 728-1781

Location is 7855 Wren Avenue, Suite A
Gilroy, CA 95020
Call (408) 846-8805

300 Orchard City Drive, Suite 170
Campbell, California 95008
Telephone: (408) 374-9960

San Diego Regional Center
4355 Ruffin Road, Suite 200
San Diego, California 92123-1648
Telephone: (858) 576-2996
Provides assistance in both the counties of Imperial and San Diego.

Location is 512 W. Aten Road
Imperial, California 92251
Telephone: (760) 355-8383

1370 W. San Marcos Blvd., Suite 100
San Marcos, California 92078
Dial (760) 736-1200

8760 Cuyamaca Street,
Suite 100
Santee, CA 92071
Main number is (619) 596-1000

Main address is 2727 Hoover Avenue, Suite 100
National City, CA 91950
Telephone: (619) 336-6600

The San Gabriel/Pomona Regional Center
Location - 761 Corporate Center Drive
Pomona, CA 91768
Main telephone: (909) 620-7722 - 24 hours
This office serves the cities of El Monte, Monrovia, Pomona, and Glendora within the county of Los Angeles.

South Central Los Angeles Regional Center
650 West Adams Boulevard, Suite 200
Los Angeles, CA 90007-2545
Telephone number is (213) 744-7000
Residents of Compton, San Antonio, South, Southeast, and Southwest within the county of Los Angeles can call this office.

The Tri-Counties Regional Center
520 East Montecito Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93103-3274
(800) 322-6994 or (805) 962-7881
Disabled individuals, or those thinking of applying, can call for intake. The location provides assistance in the counties of San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura.





7305 Morro Rd., Suite 101
Atascadero, CA 93422
Telephone: (800) 771-6898 or (805) 461-7402

2401 E. Gonzales Road, Suite 100
Oxnard, CA 93036
Telephone: (800) 664-3177 or
(805) 485-3177

Main address is 3450 Broad Street, Suite 111
San Luis Obispo, California 93401-7102
(800) 456-4153 or (805) 543-2833

1234 Fairway Dr., Suite A
Santa Maria, California 93455
Telephone number is (800) 266-9071

1900 E. Los Angeles Avenue, Second Floor
Simi Valley, CA 93065
Telephone: (800) 517-2524 or call (805) 522-8030

The Valley Mountain Regional Center
702 North Aurora Street
Stockton, CA  95202
Main telephone: (209) 473-0951
Provides assistance in the counties of Amador, Calaveras, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Tuolumne.

Stanislaus County
1820 Blue Gum Avenue
Modesto, CA 95358
Telephone: (209) 529-2626

Amador, Calaveras, Tuolumne Counties
704 Mountain Ranch Road, Suite 203
San Andreas, CA 95249
Telephone: (209) 754-1871

The Westside Regional Center
Address is 5901 Green Valley Circle, Suite 320
Culver City, California 90230
Telephone: (310) 258-4000
Help people in the regions of Inglewood and Santa Monica-West within the county of Los Angeles.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site