Cabarrus County public aid.

The disadvantaged in Cabarrus County, including the disabled, seniors, and unemployed, can turn to the social service department for public assistance. The local government uses state and federal funds to provide support to very low income families. Most of the aid is intended to ensure that residents have access to basic services around medical care, food, day care and other needs.

Day care vouchers from the Cabarrus County Division of Child Development are for low income families  that are employed or in job training. They also have a data base of what are thought to be quality child care providers in the county. The goal of the vouchers are twofold.

  • The parent will be able to enroll into job training or educational support.
  • If the parent is working a defined number of hours then they may also be able to receive a voucher for a short period of time.

Cabarrus County as well as the state of North Carolina know that paying for day care bills is very expensive. The assistance available will provide the family time so they can gain new skills or increase their income, and helping them with day care costs will help allow this to occur.

Cabarrus County food stamps and nutrition services is for very low income families as well as those that meet poverty guidelines. The federal government funds this program and it will in effect help households pay for their monthly grocery bills.

Households will be given an EBT - Electronic Benefit Transfer card. They then can use this at a local grocery store, or even a major retailer such as Wal-Mart or Kroger in Cabarrus County. The card will have a designated dollar amount placed on it each month. These public government funds can then be used to pay for a portion of their monthly food costs.

Grants for paying bills as well as job training is part of the Cabarrus County Social Services Work First Family Assistance. Most of the public aid is for households with children, though there can be some exceptions made by the county for single households.




Work First will provide short term grants to pay for everything from rent to medical bills or food while the family accesses long term self-sufficiency services. The short term support will provide them family time to gain stability. It is often also combined with child care vouchers or other public aid in Cabarrus County.

Social Services can offer applications to LIHEAP - energy bill assistance. Very low income residents, the disabled as well as elderly in the community take priority from this public program. The application period is in the fall, but one time crisis aid can be paid out at anytime. This is available if the family is facing a disconnection of their utilities.

The Crisis Intervention (CIP) component of LIHEAP is to stop a disconnection. While it usually operates during the winter months and will help with heating bills, there are cases in which Cabarrus County DSS will offer public aid for paying a cooling bills. While the terms of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services program will change each year, as well as funding, in general qualified households must have an income level that is 150% below poverty levels.

Medicaid is the counties primary public health care program. It helps pay medical as well as dental bills for the low income, disabled, as well as blind. Costs paid for include home care services, Payment of Medicare premiums, inpatient hospital care, doctor visits, Nursing and hospice care, eyeglasses, as well as Durable medical equipment. Most hospitals around the city of Concord accept Medicaid as a form of payment for health care.

Cabarrus County also runs Long Term Care Medicaid and can help residents apply for NACo Prescription Drug Discount Card. Between these two, they can help people for nursing home care for patients in skilled or intermediate care or cover prescription medications. The card is free to sign up for and can be used at most drug stores in the region.

The primary DSS office is at 1303 S Cannon Blvd, Kannapolis, NC 28083. The phone number is (704) 920-1400. Social workers can help clients apply for these programs, if the they are qualified.



By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy