latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Rent assistance in Bakersfield California and Kern County.

If you need help paying rent or housing expenses in the Bakersfield region, there are several agencies and non-profits that focus on this specific need. Every year thousands of local families face eviction. Some will qualify for some form of rental assistance, and unfortunately others will need to find a new, more affordable home or apartment.

However it is always worth calling one or more of these Bakersfield and Kern County California agencies for help with paying rent. Even if they have no funds, an agency can provide you with information or referrals to organizations that do, ranging from government grants for security deposits or back rent to loans from charities or non-profits.

The application process will vary based upon the agency and the funding they have. Call the organization below to get the specifics on how you can apply for rent assistance. Some programs are also funded by local or national government grants as well.

Salvation Army
Address of the branch - 4417 Wilson Road
Bakersfield, California 93309
Phone number - 661.325.8626 or dial toll free at 800.958.7825
The Salvation Army is a national organization that is committed to helping the poor, unemployed, elderly, and others. This is the local Bakersfield branch. They will often have money to help pay rent or other housing expenses, such as energy bills or security deposits. Find more details on Salvation Army housing programs in Bakersfield.

Bethany Services
1600 East Truxtun
Bakersfield, California 93305
Phone number of the agency - 661.322.9294
Call them for rental assistance, referrals to local and state government programs and charities, and also shelter for women with children and families.




Kern County Homeless Collaborative
The organization is made up of many non-profit and charity organizations and is organized by the Untied Way. While a focus is on prevention, there may also be transitional housing or funds for security deposits for the currently homeless. A combination of federal government grants may be used for paying rent or other housing expenses. However some qualified individuals may be able to receive a loan that needs to be repaid for rental costs to stop an eviction. Call 211.

Homeless Center of Bakersfield - The agency runs some housing programs including the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program. This can provide rent funds in an emergency when someone is faced with eviction or an utility disconnection. (661) 322-9294

Catholic Social Services
Center address - 310 Baker St., Bakersfield, CA 93305
Phone - 661.281.2130
The charity can help with rent, utilities, and even offer food.

Alliance Against Family Violence & Sexual Assault
1921 19th Street
Bakersfield, CA 93301 (Map)
Tel: 661.322.0931
Information on housing assistance, eviction prevention, and legal support for qualified cases and individuals. A focus is on domestic violence victims and also addressing the rental needs of single parents or mothers in Kern County.

Referral Service of Kern County
Telephone: 211
While the Bakersfield based United Way can’t provide money on its own, they partner with and fund many local non-profits, housing agencies, and rent programs. There is a free referral service that can direct someone to the best resource or local assistance program for their housing needs, including funds for rent costs, shelters, moving help, and more.





St. Vincent de Paul
316 Baker Street, Bakersfield, California 93305
Dial for help - 661.323.2942
Pays rent when funding is available (note it is often limited) and also offers emergency furniture, among other forms of aid. All financial aid for deposits or rental expenses depends on money raised from the community.

Bakersfield CA based Housing Authority of the County of Kern
On site coordinator finds solutions to housing problems, and offers low income housing. The center identifies California Section 8 and Low Income Public Housing participants and qualified applicants. Call (661) 335-0528

Love, Inc. of Greater Bakersfield, which can be reached at 661.325.8838, is another option. A number of programs and services are offered for individuals, who may decide to call directly or work with another local agency or charity. In many cases, Love may decide to fax a referral on behalf of the client. While rent and housing assistance is not a priority, some of the other resources include home maintenance, appliance repair, furniture, appliances, and information on weatherization.

California Rural Legal Assistance offers help to immigrants or farm workers. Housing needs can be addressed, such as disputes with landlords over unpaid rent or unsafe apartments. Call the Delano agency at 661-725-4350.

Family Resource Centers are located in several towns and communities in Kern County. The offices can offer emergency, one time rental assistance, homeless and eviction prevention services, food, and more. However, priority for any funds for rent is on the most vulnerable that are self-sufficient, such as seniors or low income families with a job. Some of the numbers are Mc Farland (call 661-792-1883), Frazier Park (dial 661-245-4303).

Kern County McKinney Vento Act Homeless Prevention solves both evictions as well as rehousing. Government grants pay arrears on rent, water, or energy bills. There may also be free legal aid arranged to the tenant as well as funding provided for utility or rental deposits on a new apartment. More on eviction and rehousing in Kern County.





Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance
1842 Norwalk Street
Delano California, 93215
Main phone - 661-334-4673
Free legal aid for tenants on evictions and housing disputes, among other support.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site