Arapahoe County public assistance and aid.

Get help for basic needs from the Arapahoe County Community Support Services Division. The government organization coordinates a number of public assistance programs and aid for the low income, including help for medical bills, child care, general and emergency financial assistance, medications, and much more. A listing of the resources provided to qualified low income residents is below.

Food Assistance can help low-income individuals and families’ access groceries and food to supplement their nutritional needs. The public assistance program, formally known as SNAP food stamps, will offer Arapahoe County residents access to vouchers and other forms of financial assistance to buy canned good, perishable items, food, baby formula, meals and groceries. A Quest card, which works like a debit card, is used to issue food assistance to recipients.

General Assistance is wide ranging and is available to individuals or families who have no other options and who are not currently collecting any cash or public assistance. The program is really an emergency program, and can help with a number of basic needs, including those below. However any cash disbursement from the Arapahoe County general assistance program is dependent upon funding from the government and is not always available. Some of what can be offered is below.

Prescriptions – Vouchers and referrals can be offered to help people get prescription drugs and medications, especially in life threatening conditions.

Emergency rental assistance may be offered if someone is not already receiving subsidized housing assistance.
financial help with paying utility and electric bills.

Funds for burial costs and funeral expenses.

Money for heating bills, however this service may not be available during LEAP season if payment was already received for the current year.

Transportation assistance, including free bus tokens or passes.




Medical bill assistance in Arapahoe County Colorado

The Community Support Services Division is involved in a number of health and medical programs. Access free care, public health insurance, medications, and other social services.

Government Medicaid for Adults with Dependent Children - Provides health care benefits to low-income adults ages 19-64 who do not have a dependent child living in the home.

Adult Medical is a resource that may be able to help eligible individuals pay for Medicare premiums and bills.

Mandatory Medicaid - Supplemental Security Income (SSI) - Provides Medicaid benefits if the federal government Social Security Administration (SSA) determines the Arapahoe County patient is eligible for SSI.

Arapahoe County Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) is a low-cost public dental and health insurance plan for both pregnant women and children. The medical program was created to help families who make too much money qualify for Medicaid. It may be able to help them pay their medical bills but do not have enough to afford private insurance. Read more CHIP.

Medicare Savings Program- Assists qualified individuals with paying the premiums of various health and medical programs under Medicare Part A.

Long Term Care- Low income individuals and seniors who are at-risk of placement in a nursing facility and/or in need of assistance in the home may be able to qualify for help with paying for the cost of the facility or home care.

Aid to the Blind (AB) and Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND) is a financial assistance program for individuals who are permanently unable to work due to some form of disability or who may even just be temporarily disabled. The resources, the first being The Aid to the Blind, will help people under 60 years of age who have at least a six-month total disability that precludes them from working. Receive up to $200 in cash assistance per month for paying bills. The Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND) program provides public assistance to low-income Arapahoe County residents age 18 to 59 who have a disability that prevents them from earning an income.

Arapahoe County Prescription Discount Card can help people buy medications that are not covered by their health insurance plan or public health care. This card is offered in partnership with the National Association of Counties (NACo). It is a free card, and anyone can obtain it, regardless of income. Residents can save money off of the retail price of prescription drugs that are not paid for by employer-sponsored health plans, Medicaid, Medicare, or other public insurance or health plans.





Old Age Pension (OAP) – This state of Colorado program provides financial help and cash grants for residents age 60 or older with little or no income, and provides Medicaid health care as well for eligible applicants.

The Low-Income Child Care Assistance Program can provide benefits to children who are 12 or younger. It may be able to provide cash grants or financial assistance to low income families and parents who are aggressively looking for employment, who are currently working, enrolled in the Colorado Works program, in job training, or teen parents who enrolled in high school or GED classes. The government assistance program may be able to offer financial assistance to eligible low to moderate income families who need help paying for child care costs to support their efforts toward self-sufficiency. This Arapahoe County Colorado program can also help families find a safe and affordable child care provider in your area.

Colorado Works/Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) can offer public and cash assistance to working poor and low-income families or women who are six months pregnant or more. It is paid for by the federal government, and focuses on needy families with dependent children. The program was designed to help people pay for their basic needs and overcome short term barriers, while helping people become self-sufficient over the long term with the help of logical support, social services and other government resources.

Help with heating, gas, and utility bills can be provided by the federal government Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP). This public funded resource can help low income and needy families pay a percentage of their winter heating bills every year. What LEAP will do is it provides a financial credit directly to the bill from the heat supplier, unless the heat source is propane, wood, coal, or a shared meter.




Military Family Assistance Program connects military families and veterans in Arapahoe County with information on and access to public assistance programs, community services and resources, such as employment, housing, education, free food, clothing, counseling, and more. Specifically, examples include:

  • Job training, finding services, education and support.
  • Referrals to military-related government assistance programs.
  • Emergency rental and housing assistance.
  • Dental, medical, and optical referrals to doctors and specialists.
  • School clothes, work uniforms and supplies.
  • Mental health, substance abuse and family counseling.
  • Utility bill assistance.
  • Budgeting assistance, credit repair, and debt reduction.
  • Holiday assistance, including Toys for Tots and meals.

Free energy conservation measures may be offered from weatherization. Low income, seniors, and the disabled can apply for programs to help them conserve energy and save money on their heating and cooling bills. The federal government funded Weatherization Program is a process of installing various energy-efficient appliance upgrades as well as energy conservation measures in a home to achieve long-term energy and cost-savings. Families who have used the service and who have weatherized their homes have saved up to 30% on their utility bills.


By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy