South Dakota rental assistance.
Emergency and long term rent assistance is offered by many South Dakota agencies. Some of them operate from multiple locations in the state and others focus on certain cities or counties, such as Minnehaha County or Sioux City. The leading places to turn to for security deposit or rent help are listed below.
When applying, there is a focus on helping the homeless and tenants with an eviction letter (but that have a source of income). Many of the grants available for assisting with rent will also go to single parent or families with children, with a second focus on senior citizens or the disabled in the state. Any funds available as part of these rental assistance programs will also only by for families in South Dakota that meet eligibility criteria. So bring proof of income, employment, residency, a copy of the lease, and other documentation.
The source of the money available for paying for rent and other housing costs, such as utilities, comes from different organizations. Some of them are government affiliated, such as local county welfare offices. Other groups that are rent help include Society of St. Vincent de Paul affiliated churches and the Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership, which may also offer loans or security deposit programs.
Housing, rent, and deposits assistance from South Dakota charities
Society of St. Vincent de Paul is a group of churches that try to offer social services in the community. Direct financial aid can assist with back rent, medications, energy bills, and even home repairs. Many housing programs are run by each affiliated church.
- Lady of the Black Hills Conference, PO Box 14 , Piedmont South Dakota, 57769, dial (605) 389-6739
- Another St. Vincent is at 1311 1st Street, Spearfish SD 57783. Call (605) 269-0676
- PO Box 2123 , Rapid City South Dakota, 57709, dial (605) 342-0507
- The last site is at 431 N. Cliff Avenue in Sioux Falls SD 57103. Telephone number - (605) 338-4111.
- There are several other options as well from this charity, and read more on St. Vincent de Paul.
Cornerstone Rescue Mission
In Rapid City dial (605) 484-9209. Veterans in Sioux Falls can dial (605) 390-6380. The Rescue Mission also operates in Aberdeen (dial (605) 393-7996) and rent help is also available for veterans in Pierre (phone (605) 393-7806).
SSVF, or the Supportive Services for Veterans Families, is a HUD sponsored homeless prevention and rapid re-housing program. It is for homeless veterans and low income families. The goal is to help with energy bills, paying rent, moving or relocation costs, and other expenses that can lead to permanent housing.
The Community Outreach is based in Sioux Falls at 225 E. 11th Street, Suite 200. The charity is made up of churches, the Sioux Empire United Way, and others. Housing resources range from help paying for security deposits to money for 1st month's rent for people seeking housing. There is also permanent housing placement, job placement, and general guidance in an effort to ensure the tenant keeps up with their rent. Phone - (605) 331-3935.
Beresford Faith In Action
The main intake site is at 101 S. 5th Street
Beresford, South Dakota, 57004
Dial (605) 763-8019
Volunteers of America Northern Rockies
24 E. New York Street
Rapid City, SD, 57701
The Ryan White Care Program is run. It provides transitional housing, shelter, and medical care for HIV/AIDS patients.
Black Hills Special Services Cooperative runs the National Farmworker Jobs Program in South Dakota. Dial 800) 224-5336 for information. However the financial assistance can provide rental deposit help when relocating due to a job. There is also employment counseling services, emergency grants for ongoing rent when faced with an eviction, and information on college programs. Applicants for rapid rehousing need to be migrant or seasonal farm workers. The address is 221 S. Central Avenue, Suite 33, Pierre, SD, 57501.
Pierre Area Referral Service
Location - 2520 E. Franklin
Pierre, SD, 57501
For information on support service, dial (605) 224-8731.
Rosebud Sioux Tribe only helps people on their lands from their Tribal Office at 11 Legion Avenue, Rosebud, SD, 57570. Emergency financial aid for rent and more is provided. Phone - (605) 747-2401.
Housing programs from the Salvation Army
There are several locations listed below. While each offers various assistance programs, these South Dakota centers may be able to help with rent. There will also be shelter, transitional housing for single moms or seniors, and other resources. Any money for security deposits, heating bills, or rent arrears is limited, but they may also provide referrals to other non-profits.
- Aberdeen also offers case management and a free noon meal. Location is 1003 6th Avenue S.W., Aberdeen, South Dakota, 57401, (605) 225-7410.
- Watertown Center - In addition to rent help, other aid includes motel rooms, furniture, and more. 621 4th Street S.E., Watertown, SD, 57201, Dial (605) 886-4030.
- Salvation Army Sioux Falls is at 800 N. Cliff Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD, 57103. Dial (605) 338-6649.
- 203 N. Harth Avenue, Madison, SD, 57042, phone (605) 256-2771
- The Salvation Army Brookings is at 1310 Main Avenue S., Suite 113, Brookings, SD, 57006. Phone (605) 691-3225.
My Neighbor connects the working poor and low income to benefits. Whether it is section 8 HUD vouchers, income based apartments, or rental assistance, they link clients to a resource. A clearing house is the place to apply for grants, loans, and other emergency rent programs. Dial (605) 691-3225, or drop in at 1310 Main Avenue S., Suite 113, Brookings, SD, 57006.
Love INC of Greater Canton
Housing programs are run from 111 E. 6th Street
Canton, South Dakota, 57013
The charity provides referrals and emergency rent aid when the need arises.
Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership, or ICAP, has several offices. They offer emergency assistance with paying back rent, mortgages, lodging costs such as motel vouchers, and more. The need must be immediate and all other non-profits and government programs applied at first. Tenants seeking rent help range from the disabled or seniors living on a fixed income to the underemployed and others.
- 116 N. Commercial Street, Clark, SD, 57225, dial (605) 532-3722
- Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership Kingsbury County Services is based at 202 2nd Street S.W., De Smet SD 57231, telephone (605) 874-3701.
- Miner County is at 108 E. Highway 34, Howard South Dakota 57349, call (605) 772-5712.
- McCook County Services ICAP office - 130 W. Essex Avenue, Salem SD 57058, main phone (605) 425-2271
- Grant County residents are served from the Courthouse in Milbank SD 57252. Dial (605) 432-6571
- Lake County Services - Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership - 111 N. Van Eps Avenue, Madison SD 57042. Main phone - (605) 256-6518.
- Deuel County, Clear Lake South Dakota 57226, telephone - (605) 874-2062.
- Brookings County Services of Inter-lakes Community Action Partnership - 601 4th Street, Brookings SD 57006, main phone (605) 692-6391
- Moody County Inter-lakes Community Action Partnership provides housing, food, and more. Location is 112 E. Pipestone, Flandreau SD 57028, main phone (605) 997-2824.
- Turner County - 400 S. Main Avenue, Parker SD 57053, dial (605) 940-1909
- Lincoln County - Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership is at 104 N. Main Street, Canton SD, 57013. Main phone - (605) 940-1909.
- Rural Office of Community Services, Inc of Bon Homme County can be called at (877) 254-6110. They run weatherization as well as provide Emergency Rental and Utility Assistance. Address is 140 Highway 50, Lake Andes, South Dakota, 57356.
- There is also a site in Yankton County. This address and phone number is 140 Highway 50, Lake Andes SD 57356, telephone (877) 254-6110.
Guiding Hand Foundation only supports low to moderate income cancer patients in South Dakota. Dial (605) 521-2750. They offer a bride to short term relief. Everything from rent to mortgage help, money for lodging or moving, and more is provided.
GROW of South Dakota
104 Ash Street E.
Sisseton, South Dakota, 57262
For referrals to rent and homeless prevention services, dial (605) 698-7654.
Volunteers of America – Dakotas supports veterans using the Per Diem program. There may be free furniture, grants to pay security deposits or rent, utility help, legal aid to review a lease and much more. Location is 1113 E. 14th Street, Sioux Falls, SD, 5710. Veterans who need homeless prevention or housing help can call (605) 274-1540.
Government affiliated rent assistance programs
County welfare and assistance offices – These are located in most parts of the state. As part of their economic assistance programs, they can provide grants for rental costs, deposits on a new home, and other homeless prevention services. Funds for housing or rent costs are only available once per year at most. If the offices below can’t help, then find other sources of emergency rent money.
- Lawrence County Assistance Program operates from 90 Sherman Street Deadwood, SD, 57732. Phone (605) 578-1941
- Brown County Welfare Office can provide a poor relief loan for rent, burial costs, and more. Location is 1019 1st Avenue S.E., Aberdeen, South Dakota, 57401, phone (605) 626-7125.
- Yankton County Welfare can be called at (605) 260-4400, Option 2. Or address is 321 W. 3rd Street, Suite 100, Yankton, SD, 57078.
- Sioux Falls Office of Minnehaha County Human Services provides shelter, cash aid for rent, gasoline, and housing programs too. They are at 723 E. 5th Street, Canton, SD. Or call (605) 367-4217.
- Beadle County office - 450 3rd Street S.W., Huron SD 57350, call (605) 353-8418
- Davison County social services is at 1420 N. Main Street, Mitchell SD 57301, main (605) 995-8611
- Codington County, 14 1st Avenue S.E., Watertown South Dakota 57201, main phone (605) 882-6286.
- Lake County is at 200 E. Center Street, Madison South Dakota 57042, main phone (605) 256-7619
- Yankton County Government Center welfare office provides energy bill help, housing, and more from 321 W. 3rd Street, Yankton SD 57078, dial (605) 260-4400, Option 2.
- Canton Office - Lincoln / Minnehaha County Human Services offers grants for housing costs, rent, transportation, and other aid. The Sioux Falls Office is at 521 N. Main Avenue, Suite 201, Sioux Falls, SD 57104, phone (605) 941-5833.
Pennington County Health and Human Services
Address: 725 N. Lacrosse Street, Suite 200
Rapid City, South Dakota, 57701
Main phone - (605) 394-2156
One time financial help is available for paying rent, heating bills, and transportation for work. The program is a last resort when TANF will not assist. Any money provided for rent or other bills is provided using a 0% interest rate loan with a favorable repayment plan.
Brookings County Veterans Service Office and Human Services – This government offices helps veterans, their spouses, dependents and survivors in applying for benefits. The location is 520 3rd Street, Suite 210, Brookings, SD, 57006. Most of the aid, such as for rent or eviction prevention, is for a crisis. For more information on obtaining a grant to pay rent due to a landlord, dial (605) 696-8260.
Sioux Falls Housing & Redevelopment Commission
630 S. Minnesota Avenue
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, 57104
Dial (605) 332-0704
Long term rent subsidized housing is arranged for the disabled or those with HIV/AIDS. Note a waiting list is often in place for a voucher. They also direct clients to HUD housing choice vouchers for their rent and legal support is arranged.