latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rental assistance in San Mateo County.

Find rental assistance, free motel vouchers as well as housing programs in San Mateo County. Locate churches, government agencies and charities that offer emergency financial help with back rent as well as resources from Core Service Centers. These organizations provide rent payment money or security deposit help, free legal aid and housing assistance to the low income, elderly, or families with children. Get help with rent near you in San Mateo County.

While anyone can apply for rental assistance, funds are limited. The demand is for help to pay for an apartment or lease home is high. Those particular groups of applicants listed above are most likely to receive help, whether a government grant or loan, for paying any back rent.

The centers are not the only options for San Mateo County residents. There are a number of non-profits and government affiliated agencies that also administer low income housing units. They often give subsidized homes in combination with rent assistance programs. Learn about eviction prevention, section 8 housing, and programs that can help people who are behind on their rent or facing eviction. There are resources that tenants can use to get back on track.

Rental assistance from San Mateo Individual Core Service Centers

The San Mateo Core Service Centers is a local partnership of multiple non-profit agencies that provide assistance to low to moderate income residents. The centers (listed below) give information on rent programs and referral to resources, emergency financial assistance, case management and other housing services. While people do need to apply for help and services provided are often on a case-by-case basis to qualified individuals, typical critical needs provided include the following.

A center may offer free food, rental and housing assistance, or homeless shelter referrals. There may also be no interest loans and funds for paying security deposits. Some other resources available for renters in San Mateo may include clothing, transportation, utility assistance, landlord/tenant information, as well as free eviction prevention and referral services. Or get landlord-tenant mediation assistance, and counseling and advocacy.

  • Daly City Community Service Center - Address - 350-90th St, Daly City, California 94015. Call for rent help - 650-991-8007. Covers - Daly City, Broadmoor, and Colma.




  • Coastside Opportunity Center. Address - 99 Avenue Alhambra, El Granada, California 94018. Phone number - 650-726-9071. San Mateo cities and residents who can get rent help from this center include San Gregorio, El Granada, Half Moon Bay, Montara, La Honda, Moss Beach, as well as Pescadero.
  • Fair Oaks Community Center provides government grants and emergency financial help. Location address - 2600 Middlefield Rd, Redwood City, CA 94063. Phone number: 650-780-7500. The center serves: Atherton, Redwood City, North Fair Oaks, Woodside, Portola Valley
  • El Concilio Emergency Services (East Palo Alto) is located at 1798-B Bay Rd, East Palo Alto, California 94303. Cities served: Menlo Park, as well as East Palo Alto. Phone -  (650) 373-1080 or 650-330-7443. Call for various rental and low income housing programs.
  • Pacifica Resource Center is located at 1809 Palmetto Ave, Pacifica, California 94044. Call for rent assistance - 650-738-7470. This center helps people in Pacifica, north of Devils Slide California. Provides one time assistance for delinquent rent, security deposits, mortgage or grants for paying move-in costs through Season of Sharing. Some eligibility requirements are determined by a phone screening interview. Also access preliminary casework and counseling, and comprehensive information and referral to local agencies.
  • North Peninsula Neighborhood Service Center is another resource. Address of the center: 600 Linden Ave, South San Francisco, California 94080. Serves: South San Francisco, Brisbane, as well as San Bruno. Dial - 650-588-8822
  • Samaritan House - Address - 4031 Pacific Blvd, San Mateo, CA 94403. Dial - 650-347-3648 or (650) 341-4081. Serves: Hillsborough, San Mateo, Burlingame, Millbrae, Belmont, San Carlos, and Foster City
  • Samaritan House South is another option at 1836B Bay Rd, East Palo Alto, California 94303. Dial  (650) 294-4312

San Mateo County Charity organizations that help with rent

San Mateo County Human Services Agency, Office of Housing operates section 8 housing. This government program helps low, unemployed and moderate income residents pay their rent and/or find affordable low cost housing or apartments. Services offered include the Public Housing Authorit, emergency section 8 vouchers and Center on Homelessness. Location is 264 Harbor Blvd, San Mateo, California 94002. Dial for help - 650-802-5050.





Life Moves is in Menlo Park and offers housing services in the region. They help homeless veterans, single mothers or families. Everything from motel vouchers to a homeless shelter, government grants, security or utility deposit help and more is offered. The focus is on housing placement as well as stability, and the agency is at 181 Constitution Dr, Menlo Park, CA. For details, dial (650) 685-5880

San Mateo County Aging and Adult Services helps seniors and the disabled. Address - 225-37th Ave, San Mateo, California 94403. Provides rental assistance and housing programs to help disabled seniors and/or younger adults live independently. The agency specializes in offering referrals to San Mateo county senior services and housing counseling agencies. The centers will focus on issues affecting the dependent adults, frail elderly, the disabled, and their families and individuals. Call 800-675-8437.

Salvation Army Social Services. Depending on circumstances, there are instances in which this church based group offers emergency financial aid for paying rent and housing related costs. There is also shelter for the homeless, funds for immigrants and Spanish speakers, and grants as a form of rental or utility arrears assistance. Emergency accommodations, including motel vouchers, may be offered. More on Salvation Army in San Mateo County.

Human Investment Project (HIP Housing) - The main program offered by this particular non-profit is known as Homesharing, and HIP Housing creates permanent low housing solutions and provides emergency rent help. This is provided in San Mateo County through services known as Self-Sufficiency and Home Equity Conversion Counseling Programs. The non-profit is at 800 S Claremont, San Mateo, CA 94402. Phone number - 650-348-6660

St. Vincent De Paul Society San Mateo is a homeless prevention center and housing resources. The location is 50 N B St, San Mateo, CA 94401. The parishes are specializing in emergency financial assistance and counseling. Renters can access programs for free or gently used clothing, free furniture, shelter assistance, personal hygiene items and other necessities. This, as well as loans for certain bills or rental expenses, is available to San Mateo County families and individuals. Call (650) 343-4403




YMCA Community Resource Center gives referrals to rent/utility arrears assistance, services in Spanish, CalWorks applications and other financial in coastal San Mateo County. The center is at 1486 Huntington Avenue, South San Francisco, California 94080. They have other rental and housing resources too as part of community action. Call 650-276-4101 for information, or look here for housing help from YMCA Community Resource Center.

Catholic Charities of San Mateo County (and the region) operates the Season of Sharing (SOS) fund from 1641 La Salle Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94124. Grant money for back rent or utilities, security deposits, storage fees and more may be offered. The churches help immigrants, single moms or women facing domestic violence, and the poor. Various eviction prevention is offered. Call 415-972-1301.

Community Legal Services In East Palo Alto can be reached at (650) 326-6440. Provides help with stopping evictions in San Mateo. Other free legal aid can include resolving disputes on collecting security deposits from landlords, advice to tenants on missed rent payments, unsafe housing, and support in applying for section 8 or other housing programs. Address is 1861 Bay Rd, East Palo Alto, CA 94303. Continue with free legal assistance in California.

First Step For Families, or the San Mateo Innvision Shelter Network , is at 325 Villa Terrace, San Mateo, CA 94401. Housing assistance is available for veterans, and others in the county facing homelessness may also qualify for one time rental assistance from Housing First.

  • A combination of government grants, referrals, and other funds can be used for deposits, utility costs, and other aid. Veterans and their families take priority. Has very limited funds, or interest free loans, for senior citizens only, and the money can assist them with their rent payments. Main phone  (650) 340-8814.

San Bruno Senior Center - 1555 Crystal Springs Road in San Bruno, California. Call 650-616-7150. The elderly, including disabled, can get referrals to emergency rental assistance or affordable housing. Also, get help in applying for government aid or loans.







Continuum of Care Homeless Assistance is the name of a service that includes everything from eviction help to rehousing the family. United States HUD grants are used by agencies in San Mateo County to help pay for rental arrears, motel voucher programs, legal support, and deposits as well. Of particular focus is on helping families with children (including single moms), veterans, and income stable tenants with their rent. Continue reading on homeless prevention San Mateo County.

Puente De La Costa Sur. Main address is 620 North Street, Pescadero, CA, 94060. Housing counseling is available from the non-profit. Limited financial aid can assist with rent and they offer help, including counseling, for residents facing an eviction. Other aid includes food, applications for government grants, and more. Telephone number to call is 650-879-1691.


Related Content From











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page