San Mateo County housing programs.

Many families struggle with paying their rent in San Mateo County California or they may already be homeless. With housing so expensive, individuals may face evictions and the result of that, being homelessness. Various agencies and government programs provide short term transitional housing and/or emergency shelters to those families that are struggling.

While the goal of any program is always to prevent evictions, sometimes people just need a more affordable, low income transitional home or apartment to live in. The resources will provide them more time to regain self-sufficiency and improve their financial condition. Many of the San Mateo organizations can provide other assistance as well, such as free meals, credit counseling, and case management.

While resources are limited due to high demand, thousands of families and homeless individuals use the centers every year. Some cater to veterans, single parents, or females impacted by domestic abuse. Others are more for the general population. Contact a non-profit to learn more about the housing resources available.

ARH Recovery Homes, Inc.
1101 South Winchester Blvd.
San Jose, California 95128
Telephone number is 408 236-6657
The center provides women with housing, detoxification and a residential recovery program. Another resource, known as Tennant Avenue, provides low cost transitional housing men to men under the age of 65.

Community Solutions for Children, Families and Individuals, Inc.
16264 Church Street, Suite 103
Morgan Hill, CA 95037
Call 877 363-7238
Housing and support services are offered to children, women and families. A focus is on those impacted by child abuse or domestic violence. There is also a clinic. Transitional and permanent supportive housing rental units are available. The program may also coordinate case management and mental health services for seniors and others in the community. Other Domestic Violence Services provide emergency shelter stays, counseling, free legal advocacy, emergency financial assistance and other support groups and guidance.




St. Vincent De Paul Society of San Mateo and Bay area
415 255-0165
The program they administer, the Riley Center, runs an emergency shelter for the homeless and recently evicted. It can offer counseling, food and advocacy for female domestic violence victims and their children. Another resources is Brennan House, which is a transitional housing program for formerly abused women and/or their children. Use the job training works and educational resources as well.

Bill Wilson Center
Address: 3490 The Alameda
Santa Clara California 95050
Call 408 243-0222
An emergency shelter is available for runaway and homeless youth in San Mateo County. It can also support minor delinquents or substance abusers. Some of the services include outreach, job placement, drug abuse counseling, assistance in finding and paying for long-term housing, educational services and family reunification. Teenage parents and other low income people from the community can get help.

Free at Last
L1796 Bay Road East
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Number is 650 462-6999
Community-based services in Spanish and English are provided, including homeless and eviction prevention, transitional housing and long-term case management. Also bilingual outreach teams from San Mateo provide prevention and risk reduction education. The transitional housing program provides individuals in recovery with shared, affordable housing and apartments.

United States Government. Veterans Affairs Palo
800 848-7254
Housing and recovery for homeless veterans. It will offer clients the skills necessary to obtain self-sufficiently in society. In addition, veterans can gain vocational assessment and assistance with job search.

Service League of San Mateo County. Hope Houses
P.O. Box 2365 Redwood City California 94064-2365
Telephone number - 650 363-8735
Housing for homeless and people recently from jail. It also provides other support services including counseling, referrals to community resources, case management, and general peer support.




Redwood Family House
110 Locust St.
Redwood City, California 94061
(650) 364-8264

(ACRC) AiDS Community Research Consortium
Address: 2684 Middlefield Rd
Redwood City, CA 94063
Phone:(650) 483-4187

Shelter Network of San Mateo County
1450 Chapin Avenue, 2nd Floor
Burlingame CA 94010
Call 650 685-5880
This is the main county supported organization. They run multiple emergency shelter and transitional housing units. Clients, including people that are behind on their rent and the homeless, can access social services. The county can also enroll people in the Bridges program, which is longer term yet affordable transitional housing. Financial aid can be provided from the Housing First Program, which is a partial rental subsidy program that offers case management and direct financial assistance. Grants can help pay the rent, deposits, and other costs for families facing eviction or those moving into a new home or apartment.

Community Services Agency of Mountain View, San Mateo and Los Altos
650 968-0836
The non-profit can offer emergency assistance including rent assistance, free meals, utility payments, food and short term shelter for people in need. The Alpha Omega Shelter also can coordinate temporary shelter for homeless clients who agree to a self-sufficiency plan and long term case management to end their homelessness. Additional services include a listing of job opportunities, free preparation of resume and credit counseling. Senior citizens can also benefit.

Project 90
Location - 720 South B Street
San Mateo, California  CA 94401
Primary phone: 650 579-7881

Service League of San Mateo County
727 Middlefield Road
Redwood City CA 94063
Telephone - 650 364-4664
Offers outreach to inmate families and their families. Other assistance includes crisis counseling and emergency assistance with employment, housing, free food, clothing and transportation.

Shelter Network of San Mateo County. Haven Family House Transitional Housing
Address: 260 Van Buren
Menlo Park CA 94025
Call 650 325-8719
Homeless families can enroll into transitional housing and gain other comprehensive support services. Get assistance in stabilizing income, improving credit and securing permanent housing. Clients need to be referred from agencies or charities such as Fair Oaks Community Center, Samaritan House, Family Support Center of the Mid-Peninsula, or some other region Shelter Network referral agency.





Pacifica Resource Center - Shelter Network
Pacifica, CA 94044

Maple Street Shelter Emergency and Transitional Housing
1580 A Maple Street
Redwood City California 94063
650 364-8264 (24 hours daily)
Provides emergency shelter in partnership with Fair Oaks Community Center, St. Vincent de Paul, local churches, Palm Avenue Detoxification Program or another approved non-profit agency. A medical clinic is also available.

Family Housing and Adult Resources (FHAR)
Location is 20 East 20th Avenue
San Mateo California 94403
Dial 650-403-0403 for intake.

Redwood Family House Transitional Housing - Shelter Network of San Mateo County
110 Locust Street
Redwood City, CA 94063
Dial the non-profit at Call 650 364-8264
Families with children can use this shelter. It also provides social services, help and programs for stabilizing income and assistance in locating permanent housing or apartments.

Larkin Street Youth Services
Dial 800 447-8223
Meals, outreach, case management, and emergency shelter is offered.

InnVision of San Mateo County
408 292-4286
A number of short term, emergency housing units are offered from this leading, regional non-profit. It also includes transitional living and job readiness activities for homeless men and women. Free meals, case management and vocational services are all also offered. Other programs include English as a Second Language (ESL), parenting classes, consumer education, parent-child activities and information on speakers public health and alcoholism treatment. A food pantry and clothing closet are also available.

Mental Health Association of San Mateo County
Main address is 2686 Spring Street
Redwood City, California 94063-3522
Main phone - 650 368-3345
Residents with mental illnesses and/or people with HIV/AIDS can access housing, free food, social programs and ongoing advocacy. The staff advocate for the improvement of mental health services and the development of new programs to meet identified needs. Housing for the disabled and mentally ill is offered. Financial assistance can help make partial rent payments to landlords and even banks or mortgage lenders. Some funds can even help with utility bill or deposits. Other financial aid or vouchers can be offered to pay for motel vouchers or medications for the disabled.




El Concilio Emergency Services Partnership
Dial the agency at 650 330-7432
Offers information and referrals to shelter, emergency food, youth services, senior programs, employment assistance and short-term and long-term counseling. While more limited, financial assistance for housing may be offered in San Mateo. This includes funds for paying rent or security deposits.

Fair Oaks Community Center
2600 Middlefield Road
Redwood City, CA 94063
Call 650 780-7500
In addition to coordinating housing, access child care and pre-school, free use of computers, crisis intervention, classes including ESL/citizenship, exercise, food assistance programs, shelter referrals. Some financial support can include housing assistance, security deposit and emergency rental assistance. Immigrants can get help too. They also run the Critical Family Needs Housing Assistance Fund for the Redwood City-North Fair Oaks area.

Community Working Group
Palo Alto, California

North Peninsula Neighborhood Services Center, Inc.
650 583-3373

Samaritan House
4031 Pacific Blvd.
San Mateo, California 94403
Telephone number is 650 347-3648
Offers bilingual community workers emergency services, case management, free information and referral, assistance in filling out applications and forms. Financial aid available can include first and last month rental assistance and even money to pay the security deposit. Other self-sufficiency services are adult education classes, including budgeting and English as a Second Language (ESL) workshops. Other services, in addition to housing, include free clinics, help for day laborers, and referrals.

StarVista (formerly Youth and Family Enrichment Services (YFES)) - Daybreak Program
639 Douglas Avenue
Redwood City, California 94063
Call 650 364-4633

La Casa de las Madres - Emergency shelter
877 503-1850

Daly City Community Service Center
350 - 90th Street, 1st Floor
Daly City CA 94015
650 991-8007
Get information and referrals to housing. They are part of the network of network of community service agencies in the region. They work in partnership with Legal Aid of San Mateo County, the Shelter Network HPRP Program, and many other government and non-profits in San Mateo County. Get information on public housing, section 8 vouchers, and homeless prevention resources.

Family Crossroads Transitional Housing
50 Hillcrest Drive
Daly City CA 94014
Call 650 994-8169
Offers up to 4 months of low income transitional housing and case management services for low income and working families. Clients need to be motivated to improve their financial condition, save money and find permanent housing.

Coastside Hope, also called Coastside Opportunity Center
99 Avenue Alhambra
El Granada CA 94018
Main phone number is 650 726-9071
Housing information, funds for first months rent or deposits, and  other support is offered.

Women's Recovery Association (WRA)
1818 Gilbreth Road, Suite 230
Burlingame, California 94010
650 348-6603
Housing and recovery for women and their children who are having issues with alcohol or drugs. Transitional housing is also available at Juniper House.

By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy