San Bernardino public assistance.

To get information on applying for public assistance in San Bernardino you will need to contact the Human Services department. The government agency processes applications and information on a multitude of assistance programs, including food, health care, job training, and more.

The CalWORKs/California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids program provides both financial assistance and Welfare-to-Work services to working poor and low income families with children. The aid is for those who are deprived of support due to unemployment/underemployment, the death, incapacity, or continued absence of a parent, or some other unforeseen critical situation. San Bernardino County, state of California, and federal government regulations all come into play for this program.

Immigrants in San Bernardino County can apply for the Cash Aid Program. It provides cash and financial support for specified blind, disabled, or seniors/aged legal immigrants. In order to apply or to be found qualified, immigrants and applicants can’t be eligible for the Federal government SSI/SSP public assistance program due solely to their immigrant status. CAPI is not linked to any other government or public assistance program.

San Bernardino County Human Services also administers the Transitional Assistance Department (TAD). It offers financial support program to lower income families and persons in need of financial, medical bill, and/or nutritional assistance. The main goals of TAD program are to meet the basic needs of individuals and families while working with them to attain long term self-sufficiency. The resource can also promote work and personal responsibility.

Part of TAD is a Child Care Program. This will offer child care reimbursements to providers on behalf of current San Bernardino CalWORKs recipients who are in an approved training or work program. Payments are reimbursed for child care services and are paid directly to the provider and the applicant.

The county also offers energy conservation assistance, which is primarily weatherization, to eligible low-income residents. Human Services also processes applications for grants from them Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP).





Food Bank Programs are also available around the county. The CAPSBC Food Bank distributes items that were obtained from federal government agencies, such as the USDA, donations, and food drives that were sponsored by charities, service organizations, schools, and local businesses. Over 150 pantries and non-profits partner with the county as part of this resource. Find San Bernardino food pantries.

The San Bernardino Food Stamp Program can provide nutritional assistance and it can help single people and families with little or no income buy food. State of California Food Stamp benefits are issued on an EBT or debit card, and it can be used to buy groceries at local retailers.

The Foster Care Program distributes financial assistance for children in need of help, and it is coordinated by the Department of Children’s Services (DCS).

The San Bernardino County General Relief public assistance program provides loans to indigent families and individuals in temporary need of food, housing, shelter, or transportation. General Relief does not use any state or federal government funds and is run only by the county.




Medical bill assistance is offered by the Medi-Cal Program. The state public health care program pays the bills for certain needy and lower income residents of California, including those who receive public assistance. The program is supported and funded by federal government and state taxes, but applications are processed at the county level. Children and pregnant women have been the focus of outreach efforts by the State of California for this resource.

If you apply and are found to be eligible for Medi-Cal benefits, you may also have the option of joining a Medi-Cal health plan, and San Bernardino county offers two. They are Inland Empire Health Plan or the Molina Health Care options.

Newcomers to this country can look into the Refugee Resettlement Program. This can offer short term cash/time-limited public aid and/or medical bill assistance to persons and family’s who flee from their countries because of persecution. Any type of aid payments for refugees or immigrants are based on CalWORKs standards.

Call the Human Services office in San Bernardino County at (909) 388-0245.




By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy