latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Oakland County Michigan rent assistance programs.

Residents of Pontiac and Oakland County Michigan can receive rental assistance from the charities, churches and non-profits listed below. The programs can offer emergency grants to pay rent, security deposits, moving costs and other housing expenses. Any financial aid is only for those that qualify. Or get referrals and advice in applying for government housing and rent assistance.

The Oakland County rent assistance programs focus on the low income, senior citizens, and unemployed, however others can receive financial assistance too. The primary goal is to prevent evictions and the resulting homelessness. So if you are faced with a future eviction, apply as soon as possible for emergency rent help. Or if you are looking for a new home or apartment, then there may be money to pay security deposits or moving costs. This, and other forms of assistance, may be available too.

Department of Human Services (FIA) Oakland County

  • District 1 - 1685 Baldwin Rd., Pontiac Michigan 48343 (248) 975-5400
  • District 2 - 30755 Montpelier, Madison Heights MI 48071, (248) 583-8700
  • District 3 - 195 Ladd Rd., Walled Lake MI 48390, (248) 669-7600
  • District 4 - 235 N. Saginaw, Pontiac Michigan 48342, call (248) 975-5200

This local county government office can provide emergency rental assistance, funds for paying security deposits, and other housing type expenses, such as electric bills. Just as importantly, they are a great place for referrals and to get help in applying for public as well as government aid. Free motel or hotel vouchers may be offered too. Find more on public assistance in Oakland County.

Oakland County Shelters, Emergency Food and Housing Assistance. 1-800-A-SHELTER - Statewide shelter information & locator. Call to find information on housing solutions.





Grace Centers of Hope - 35 E. Huron, Pontiac, Michigan 48342, (248) 334-2187

Pontiac Salvation Army - 118 W. Lawrence St., Pontiac, Michigan 48342, (248) 338-9601. Some emergency funds or grants may be available for rent. Other services include shelter and short term housing.

Oakland County Michigan Salvation Army - 431 N. Main St., Royal Oak, MI, (248) 546-6566. The Salvation Army offers case management, emergency housing and rent help, training & classes, community referrals, and other services, such as household products.

Baldwin Church Warming Center - 212 Baldwin in Pontiac, (248) 332-3101. Can provide information and referrals.

Delonis Shelter – Another local Pontiac Michigan shelter and place for information on emergency housing. 312 W. Huron, Ann Arbor, Michigan (734) 662-2829

Neighborhood Service Organization – Another emergency hotline. 24-Hour Help Line (313) 224-7000. Oakland County Michigan families can receive referrals and support when facing an eviction. Find linkage to churches, charities and other groups that may offer emergency, one time rental assistance. Note that some families may be issued loans for their rent and it will need to be repaid over time

OLHSA (Oakland Livingston Human Service Agency) – The non-profit offers support services for housing, rental assistance, emergency, HIV/AIDS, family, housing solutions, child, maternal. The contact information in Pontiac office phone # (248)209-2600 or dial the Ferndale Michigan office phone # (248)542-5860. Read more on Oakland Livingston Human Service Agency.





Prisoner Re-entry Program – Only can help ex-convicts and people coming from jail. Staff help them find housing apply for jobs, or find rent as well as deposit assistance programs. Dial (248) 681-1705 ext 233

Community Sharing only support the Huron Valley School district and nearby region. Financial help for utilities, rent, and other housing needs are offered. Funds are limited, proof of hardship is needed. Telephone - (248) 889-0347.

Legal Aid and Defender can help tenants facing an eviction or homelessness. Free legal advice, representation and support is offered from attorneys. Lawyers coordinate legal clinics, which are held in Oakland County Michigan in Ferndale, Southfield and Pontiac, among other locations. (877) 964-4700

Oakland County Department Of Public Services - Veterans Service Division - May have government grants for paying rent, mortgage, or a security deposit, among other bills. Keeping veterans housed in affordable and safe homes is a focus, and this means emergency rent help and other solutions are available. 1200 North Telegraph Road, Pontiac, Michigan 48341, call (248) 858-0785

Rochester Area Neighborhood House has general financial aid. Funds can be used for rent, deposit fees, and other costs. For information, dial (248) 651-5836.

Jewish Family Service - While some programs are faith based, there may be basic needs available, funds to pay for housing or rental expenses, zero interest loans, and other support. A focus is on seniors and the disabled. Oak Park Michigan based. Call (248) 592-2300.

Active Faith – Organization serves as a resource center for low-income families. Need to dial (248) 437-9790 for an appointment. Need to bring documents including rent history, house payment receipt, and proof of income, utility bills or school record for backup. South Lyon, Michigan

Community Housing Network – A partnership of churches, charities, and non-profits in Pontiac Michigan that can help stop evictions and offer rental assistance and money for security deposits. Other assistance includes rental subsidy, leasing assistance, home buying, and permanent supportive shelter. Phone (248) 928-0111.

A combination of resources from the government and non-profits are used as part of Emergency Homeless Prevention as well as Rehousing. Some of it is financial, such as money for paying rent or free motel vouchers. Other resources, ranging from support for single moms to rent grants for veterans, can also be available. Read more details on Oakland County Michigan homeless prevention.

Lighthouse of Oakland County – A leading agency. Call for emergency services, housing and rent assistance. Furniture and details on low income apartments may also be given out. Call (248) 920-6100 or stop by 46156 Woodward Ave, Pontiac, MI 48342





Oakland County Housing Counseling Pontiac – This government approved non-profit is an agency that provides HUD Approved Housing Assistance Programs. Specifically, programs include Rental Assistance Housing Counseling, Mortgage Delinquency and Default Resolution Counseling, and information on rentals. 250 Elizabeth Lake Road, Pontiac, Michigan. Call 248-858-5402

Neighbor For Neighbor, Inc. – This organization can help fund and is a major sponsor of assistance programs. They are providing basic necessities to the needy in North Oakland County. Services offered include rent and housing assistance. Single moms and the working poor can apply for rent grants or cash loans as well as other support. Other services can provide free food and clothing distribution programs in hope to make people more independent. Davisburg, Michigan. 248-634-0900

Father Clement H. Kern Foundation – Can offer social services and programs for the poor and needy. White Lake, MI.

Oakland County Community & Home Improvement – Administers the federal government stimulus funded Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program. Get money to prevent evictions and homelessness. Pontiac, Michigan. Dial (248) 858-5403.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site