latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Public assistance and government benefits from DHS in Pennsylvania.

Low income families in Pennsylvania will receive public assistance from the Department of Human Services (formerly known as Welfare). Find how to apply for everything from SNAP food stamps to cash assistance, free health care coverage from Medicaid, disability services and much more. DHS in Pennsylvania helps the unemployed, low-income and working poor among others, and learn more on government benefits in PA below.

Short term financial help is combined with long-term self-sufficiency. Pennsylvania DHS programs can provide SNAP food stamp benefits as well as cash assistance to the working poor, elderly or disabled. There is also advice around employment and resources to the less fortunate in the state. Find how to get help with paying for basic needs, including medical bills, housing, food, and more by state and county below.

Pennsylvania Department of Human Services food assistance benefits

Pennsylvania DHS SNAP Food Stamps, which is also known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), is managed by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services. Vouchers and cash assistance can be used to pay for food or groceries as well as a small number of approved hygiene supplies. Low income families will be given an EBT card as part of the Human Services food stamp program.

The publicly funded SNAP program can help eligible low-income households across Pennsylvania obtain meals and more nutritious food for their family. The goal is to ensure that low income households, children, seniors and others can get some type of nutrition in their system.

SNAP Food Stamp benefits can be used to buy groceries or perishable food at their local grocery stores and supermarkets. If you apply and are fund to be qualified, individuals will receive a Pennsylvania Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) ACCESS Card. This is what is needed in order to pay for the groceries at your local store. There are also a wide variety of other federal government USDA food programs for the poor.

Department of Human Services also processes applications for WIC vouchers. This is a state and federal government benefit that ensure new, low income parents (including single mom) can get the nutrition their infant needs. There may be free infant formula, information on healthy eating and how to feed a baby. The WIC program is often combined with food stamps to help feed the family.




Free government grants and cash assistance

Burial and Cremation Services Payment – Cash assistance can be provided for paying for cremation and burial costs by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services. This program can help individuals who were found to be eligible for cash assistance prior to death, people who have received Supplemental Security Income or SSI, and some qualified nursing home residents.

Pennsylvania DHS emergency cash assistance – Various public programs are offered for people who can’t work because of a disability, or who do not earn enough money to support themselves or their family. Some families may be qualified to receive short term cash assistance from the Department of Human Services.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) may be offered to qualified individuals. This resource is focused on people who are trying to move to independence, and it is really focused on low income people who need help to become independent, including pregnant woman, children, and others. TANF is technically a short term cash assistance program.

The Pennsylvania Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program can help individuals pay for their basic needs, such as food, medical bills, housing, and similar items. A focus is on pregnant women and/or dependent children and other relatives who live with them. However others may benefit from this public program. Find more details on cash assistance in Pennsylvania.

General Assistance is a little more wide ranging. It is paid for directly by the state of Pennsylvania. The Department of  Human Services financial assistance program can help certain individuals and lower income families who do not qualify for the federally funded Temporary Assistance for Needy Families benefit which is referenced above. There may be government grants for the disabled, elderly and others. General assistance can provide funds and financial assistance with a focus on those who have a temporary disability or a medical emergency.

Self-sufficiency can be provided by the Diversion and Moving to Independence program which is offered by the state. This resource is dedicated to helping Pennsylvania's low-income families and individuals become independent over the short to long term. Diversion is a way for low to moderate income families to choose short-term crisis type help rather than long-term ongoing cash assistance through the government funded Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program.





What the Diversion and Moving to Independence program can help with is some or all of the following. People who may have a medical emergency, or who lost their job or had hours cut, or some other short term crisis may be able to get help paying bills over the short term. A key to this public program is that applicants will need to expect to get back on track in a couple months.

For example, they may expect to start a new job or get through the medical emergency, and will be able to resume supporting their families and paying bills. The Pennsylvania Diversion program can help people meet their short-term needs or pay bills. A one-time lump sum cash payment can be made from this service.

The federal government Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps lower income families pay their electric and heating bills. A focus in on families with children, seniors, and the disabled. The  LIHEAP program will provide families in Pennsylvania with a grant that offers cash assistance to pay energy bills. The money is paid directly to the utility company. Another resource offered is a crisis grant for households in immediate danger of running out of oil or fuel or being without heat in general.

The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services can provide people who meet visual requirements with benefits. The State Blind Pension Program and Moving to Independence is committed to helping low-income individuals and families move to independence and self-sufficiency.

The Refugee Cash Assistance Program distributes money and other financial assistance. Resources are offered for up to eight months for state of Pennsylvania refugees who do not meet Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) requirements.

Telephone Bill Assistance Programs are available in Pennsylvania from DHS. Residents can receive lower cost phone services and therefore help with bills from the Lifeline and Link-Up program. This federal government program provides reduced telephone costs and bills to eligible lower income customers for telephone expenses.

Legal aid may be coordinated as well. If you are a qualified resident of Pennsylvania and need help with a non-criminal legal matter and cannot afford an attorney, the department partners with and has information on organizations that can offer free legal services. Continue with Pennsylvania free legal assistance.

Pregnant women, men, and teens can get help from family planning services in Pennsylvania. This program provides services, free information and counseling on medical and health care for women, moms, men, and teens. Almost all of the services offered from this public program are free or low-cost, and all advice and information is confidential.





Homeless Assistance Programs - This includes emergency rental and mortgage assistance for people facing eviction or foreclosure. The state of Pennsylvania may also have money to pay for utilities or security deposits if that could help with solving your crisis.

Other housing type services include public homeless shelters to keep people out of the cold. After someone stays in a shelter, Bridge Housing , or short term/transitional housing, can allow someone to stay in a government subsidized apartment for up to 18 months. There are also appliances, washers, dryers, and clothes given out. Also receive ongoing case management throughout this process.

Subsidies for child and day care are provided. For families that are working or attending job training, Pennsylvania may pay for a portion of your child care needs. The state relies on federal government funding and grants to provide this resource and there is usually a waiting list. The program is very limited in scope however the assistance provided can help parents attend school, work, or training sessions. Read more on Pennsylvania assistance for free child care.

Other services from DHS offered include Domestic Violence Crisis and Prevention, Public Health Care/Medical Assistance (including Medicaid), Long Term Care Services, and Pharmacy. They also provide free items to the formerly homeless, such as clothes, appliances such as refrigerators or dishwashers, and furniture to help them get settled.

Public health and medical care programs from PA Department of  Human Services

Pennsylvania DHS Medical Assistance, Medicaid and Health Care can help pay for health care costs and medical bills. This service is also administered by the Department of  Human Services (DHS). State residents may be able to access quality, yet affordable, medical and dental services. Some of the care may be from public clinics, and other medical services are provided by private professionals. Specifically services from Medicaid include the following.

PA families can get free Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening and Treatment; Special Pharmaceutical Benefits Program; Healthy Beginnings for Pregnant Women as well as Mental Health/Behavioral Health Services. Or there is medical help from DHS for Medicare Part D Drug Coverage Information; AIDS/HIV Information and Services; Family Planning Services; Substance Abuse Services; SelectPlan for Women.

Medicaid will also give Help with Medical Appointments if your English is Limited; Sign Language Interpreter Services for Medical Appointments; Office of Long-Term Living; Long Term Care Services; Medical Assistance Transportation Program; Special Kids Network; SelectPlan for Women Provider Search. Or learn more about public health care clinics in Pennsylvania.







Mental Health Care – Several mental health resources are administered through your local county Mental Health/Mental Retardation (MH/MR) program offices. Your local office partners with doctors and medical providers in your area, and health care is offered by your local hospital or provider agencies. These local providers need to enter into a contract with the county MH/MR office.

Each county will have its own criteria that needs to be met, and the county MH/MR office will assesses the need for treatment or other services, determines a person's eligibility for cash assistance, and medical professionals can make referrals to appropriate programs and doctors to fit treatment and/or meet other service needs.

Apply for public assistance from Pennsylvania Cities and Counties

The main counties and cities are below. They can help the low income, unemployed, and others who may be in a crisis get cash assistance, burial help, food stamps or other benefits. The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services can be reached at the helpline customer service team, and the number is 1-800-692-7462.

Allegheny County

Berks County

Bucks County

Chester County

Cumberland County

Erie County

Luzerne County


York County


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site