Denver public assistance.

Denver County offers residents a wide range of public assistance programs and social services. The primary goal of each and every program is to provide help to the most disadvantaged people and those who are most at risk. This can include low income families with children, seniors, and the disabled. At the same time families can also gain longer term self sufficiency skills and access case management resources. Most of the resources are administered by Denver Human Services (DHS).

Rent and Eviction Prevention Assistance is offered to individuals and families in Denver who have demonstrated some type of emergency or unexpected financial hardship. They also need to be very low income. Some other qualifications include the applicant needs to have lived in their current housing or apartment for six months or more, or they need to have resided in a Denver shelter for 30 days or more. In addition, applicants can’t be paying more than 75% of their current household income for housing costs. Additional Housing Assistance and services for people who are at risk of losing their housing or who are currently homeless are available at the main office at the Castro Building, 1200 Federal Blvd, Denver, Colorado 80204, or dial 720-944-3666 for more details.

Transitional and Emergency Housing is offered to homeless families or individuals who have been in Denver 30 days or more and who have applied for public assistance from Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).

Moving and Storage Assistance may be available from Denver Human Services on a case-by-case basis for families and individuals who are victims of domestic violence or who have been evicted.

The Denver Aid to the Needy Disabled program provides cash grants, public aid and financial assistance to lower income people who are not receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Even those residents who are now getting SSI can receive help. Those individuals can be provided Medicaid (medical insurance) benefits even if they are currently getting SSI.





Burial and funeral cost assistance can help pay for funeral and burial costs for Denver County decedents. Any potential applicant need to qualify and meet financial terms. All public assistance paid out from this resource is targeted at those people in which the decedent did not leave sufficient funds to pay for burial or funeral expenses and their family members are financially unable to pay those funeral bills and expenses. All assets will be taking into consideration when determining eligibility.

Denver County Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) – Will help qualified families pay for child care expenses. Funds are paid out for families who qualify pay for child care, with priority given to infants to children age 13 and special needs youth up to age 18. There is often a waiting list for this public program.

Food Assistance - Most low income and working poor households in Denver Colorado can get help paying for food and groceries, and the Human Services agency wants to help you apply for these government and private benefits. For example, an Emergency Food program can provide coupons or vouchers for free food. Assistance may be available for individuals whose food assistance application is still being processed as well.

If you are taking care of a child who is not yours, such as raising a grandchild, niece, or nephew, then the Grandparent & Kinship Program can help you meet their financial, physical, medical, emotional and/or educational needs, and help you pay for basic needs and bills. Also get referrals to other government and public assistance programs to help during this period.

Denver heating and utility bill resources are offered from the Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP). This federal government funded program can help pay a portion of your heating bill during the winter season and cooling bills during the summer. Households that apply for the program and that qualify for aid will receive an amount based on the total cost of their heating bill, the household income of the applicant, and the number of people living in the home. LIHEAP will also provides emergency assistance to Denver families when a family receives a shut-off or disconnection notice, when their heat has already been shut-off, or if they run out of fuel or oil.

Security deposits may be offered from Section 8 Housing Vouchers. Qualified individuals may be eligible for financial assistance and cash grants of up to $1000 which can be used to pay for a housing deposit. This is a one-time cash payment to assist low-income, working families.

Personal Needs can be met as well. For example, coupons and vouchers may be available for prescriptions, diapers, over- the-counter drugs and other items at the discretion of a case manager. Also, personal hygiene supplies may be available at the discretion of a social workers or case manager.





Transportation assistance is available in Denver too. For example, cab vouchers or bus tokens may be available if a Human Services case manager decides it is needed. Transportation can help people get to a job interview or doctor appointment.

Health and assistance with medical bills may be provided to Denver families by Medicaid and/or Medicare. These resources are federal government medical insurance programs for low-income individuals and families who meet eligibility requirements and income levels. Medicare is a public medical insurance program for lower income individuals who have paid social security taxes and who are least 62 years of age. Their disabled children and spouses can also qualify for aid.

The federal government Medicaid program also pays for health care for eligible pregnant women and entire families with children age 19 years or younger. Medicaid may be requested for one or all family members, and eligibility for receiving medical care from Medicaid is based on your family’s total household income, number of family members and other resources available.

Denver Human Services administers the government funded Temporary Aid to Needy Families. Low income families and individuals can apply for cash and financial assistance through the Colorado Works (CW) program, which is also known as Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF). This public program provides monthly cash assistance and grants to eligible participants who meet income levels.

Denver County Veteran Services Office offers assistance for both county and city residents. The non-profit government organization can provide emergency cash assistance to qualified veterans in their time of need, help veterans with their applications for VA benefits and public aid, and case managers can also guide veterans to additional resources and support services.

Old Age Pension (OAP) – This resource can provide public aid, financial assistance, and health care to elderly and people who are 60 years of age or older. This service is provided by the state of Colorado, and it includes the greater Denver area as well. It is only offered for US citizens or legal aliens who are admitted into the United States. There are two main components of the program, and they include:




Old Age Pension Health Care Plan – There are some restrictions on this program, and they include applicants need to be between 60 to 64 years old, have a total household income under $628, and a countable resource limit of $3,000 for a couple or $2,000 for an individual.

The second component known as OAP-A includes Medicaid coverage. To be eligible for this medical care program, individuals in Denver need to be 65 years of age or older, and also have an income under $628, and a countable resource limit, which includes savings and cash, of $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy