Providence County free clothes, school supplies, furniture and clothing closets.
Free clothing closets are available at dozens of different churches, charities, and non-profits in Providence County Rhode Island. They can provide free clothes, back to school supplies, diapers, furniture, electronics and more. The locations assist thousands of families per year. Clients can get free clothes for general use, school supplies or work uniforms, winter coats and boots, furniture, free winter jackets, and thousands of other items depending on inventor. There are even places that offer baby clothes, cribs, and items for new parents.
The main centers are listed below. Many of them, in particular churches, are open limited hours and have limited supplies to pass out. Any free clothing items as well as other household supplies are given out on a first come-served basis. But they do try to assist anyone in need, and even give referrals if needed.
What clients may find includes some or all of the following. Free clothes; baby supplies or diapers; school supplies including backpacks; winter hats, coats or boots, and much more. Many also have free furniture banks for household goods. Most Providence County clothing closets give the items out for free, but not some run thrift stores in which goods are sold at a low cost.
Dorcas Place - Clothing Collaborative
220 Elmwood Avenue
Providence, Rhode Island 02903
Main number is (401) 421-5753
Providence Rescue Mission
Main location is 627 Cranston Street
Providence, RI 02907
Call (401) 274-8861
The homeless and families in poverty can get blankets, winter gear, food, and even season programs such as free Easter baskets for kids. Students from homeless or poverty families can be given free back to school supplies, backpacks, and other items. A homeless shelter is also on site.
Comprehensive Community Action Program
311 Doric Avenue
Cranston, RI 02910
Phone: (401) 467-9610
Many financial and material assistance programs are offered. They also accept applications for public assistance in Rhode Island. Call to inquire into GED and job training programs, suits or dresses for job seekers, food, child care items (blankets, cribs, diapers) and other free clothes. They refer clients to free local furniture assistance programs for new apartments, including section 8 housing, as well. The non-profit will support economic self-sufficiency.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Ocean State
1540 Pontiac Avenue
Cranston, RI 02920
The Donation Center provides items to kids who are enrolled with a mentor. The child or teenager can get books, toys, TV, computers, electronics, clothes, and more. This is all given out for free.
Main address is 134 Mathewson Street
Providence, Rhode Island 02903
Telephone number is (401) 331-1069
Assistance programs include a winter shelter, weekly community meal, hygiene items, clothing including for winter, and other goods. Free winter coats for kids, boots, and other warm weather stuff is offered too.
Crossroads Rhode Island
Location: 160 Broad Street
Providence, RI 02903
Main phone number - (401) 521-2255. A host of services are available, and more details on Crossroads in Providence.
Christian Power House Mission
87 Althea Street
Providence, Rhode Island 02907
Programs include Christmas baskets and toys, free, food, and a directory of regional financial assistance programs. They may pass out beds, couches, and other furniture items too.
Right to Life Services
266 Smith Street
Providence, RI 02908
They support new or pregnant mothers, including teenagers. Baby and maternity clothes, baby wipes and diapers, pregnancy tests, counseling ,WIC vouchers, and other aid is given out.
Salvation Army – They operate many social services. Two of them are the free clothing closet and thrift stores. There is also emergency rent help, free school supplies (bags, shoes, pens, etc.) for kids, food, energy bill assistance, referrals, and dozens of other assistance programs. They also support senior citizens and the homeless with their basic needs. Adopt a Family has toys, and a summer and fall back to school supply give away takes place.
- The Pawtucket Corps is at 102 High Street, Pawtucket, RI 02860. Call (401) 723-9534
- The Providence Corps is at 386 Broad Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02907. Telephone: (401) 831-1119
- Other social services are offered too. Find Salvation Army Providence County assistance programs.
Rhode Island Donation Exchange Program
Address is 100 Dupont Drive, Suite 5
Providence, Rhode Island 02907
Call (401) 831-5511
There is good, gently used furniture for the low income and needy. Programs also include an Office Furniture Bank and Thrift store vouchers. Beds, tables, lights, couches, electronics, and more is offered for free.
Joslin Community Development Corporation
231 Amherst Street
Providence, RI 02909
They offer child safety seats, ESL classes, furniture, free holiday toys, and other aid.
Blackstone Valley Emergency Food Center
Location is 75 Benefit Street
Pawtucket, RI 02861
They assist residents of Woonsocket, Central Falls, Pawtucket, Lincoln, and Cumberland.
Family Service of Rhode Island - Hope Street Office
55 Hope Street
Providence, RI 02940
East Bay Community Action Program
100 Bullocks Point Avenue
Riverside, Rhode Island 02915
Everything from free government grants to clothes for work (uniforms, briefcases, pants, etc.) are available.
Community Care Alliance
Location is 245 South Main Street
Woonsocket, Rhode Island 02895
Main number is (401) 766-0900
Assistance programs include case management, youth employment, heating bill help, clothing, and more. Much is focused on self-sufficiency and job placement in Providence County, so the free clothes and supplies include used computers, slacks, briefcases, and professional work clothing.
Woonsocket Women's Shelter
176 Sayles Street
Woonsocket, RI 02895
For intake and information, dial (401) 767-0866
Shelter guests can get soap, warm or summer clothes, a hot meal, and other support.
Connecting For Children and Families
46 Hope Street
Woonsocket, RI 02895
They focus on kids, newborn babies, and their parents. There are Infant Care Centers, diapers and baby wipes, clothes, WIC programs from public aid, and more.
Camp Street Community Ministries
194 Camp Street
Providence, RI 02906
The working poor, seniors, and children can apply for clothing, Thanksgiving Baskets, birthday or Christmas toys, and other goods.
West End Community Center
Location of the non-profit organization - 109 Bucklin Street
Providence, Rhode Island 02907
Main number - (401) 781-4242
Families and individuals from Upper and Lower Southside, West End, and Elmwood can apply. Programs include day care, transportation, school supplies as well as uniforms for kids, snacks, and counseling.
Churches in Providence that provide clothes
The list below is all of the faith based churches. They assist regardless of religion, race, age, or background. There may be free clothing closets on site as well as low cost thrift stores. Find everything from free back to school supplies for kids to work clothes, jackets, hats, mittens, and more. Some have free furniutre banks for Providence families. Household products, cleaning supplies, beds, and other furniture may be sold at a church thrift store as well. Or if needed, find a list of other assistance programs from churches.
- River United Methodist Church - Burrillville Campus is at 185 Joslin Road, Burrillville, RI 02826. For hours, dial (401) 568-5373. The ministry is on wheels and gives meals and clothes to the less fortunate as well as single moms.
- Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration is at 1665 Broad Street, Cranston, RI 02905. Main number is (401) 461-3142. The Touch of Heaven thrift store sells low cost shoes, underwear, baby items, coats, clothes, and more.
- Pawtucket Covenant Congregational Church, 143 Glenwood Avenue, Pawtucket, RI 02860, main number - (401) 724-8546
- Providence In-Town Churches Association. Volunteers sort boxes of clothes and household supplies and give out in a crisis from their location at 250 Washington Street, Providence, RI 02903. For hours of distribution dial (401) 454-7422
- Saint Charles Borromeo Church SVDP, 178 Dexter Street, Providence, RI 02907, telephone (401) 421-6441. There are also free Thanksgiving meal baskets.
- Saint John the Baptist Church, 69 Quincy Avenue, Pawtucket, Rhode Island 02860, phone (401) 722-9054
- Trinity Episcopal Church Food Pantry and Thrift Shop, 251 Danielson Pike, Scituate, RI 02857, main number is (401) 647-2322
- Maranatha Tabernacle Church of God - 1040 Atwells Avenue, Providence, Rhode Island 02909. Main number is (401) 521-4860
- Providence In-Town Churches Association (PICA), 15 Hayes Street, Providence, RI 02908, main number (401) 454-7422. The homeless outreach center and SOAR are for the disabled. They can be given shelter, hygiene items, free clothing for making it through the day, and other help.
- Mathewson Street United Methodist Church - 134 Mathewson Street, Providence, RI 02903. Phone (401) 331-8900. The PICA Food and Clothes Closet is open daily.
- New Covenant Worship Center, 1290 Westminster Street, Providence, RI 02909. For hours dial (401) 276-0220. Food, beverages, free clothes, and other social services are available.
- Saint John the Baptist Church, 69 Quincy Avenue, Pawtucket, Rhode Island 02860, telephone (401) 722-9054
- Riverside United Church of Christ is at 15 Oak Avenue, Riverside, RI 02915. Main number - (401) 433-2039
- Seventh Day Adventist Church – The free clothing closet and pantry is at 1000 Smithfield Avenue, Lincoln, RI 02865. Main number - (401) 723-7999
- Christ Church in Lonsdale clothing bank. Address - 1643 Lonsdale Avenue, Lincoln, RI 02865, phone (401)- 725-1920. The charity participates in adopt-a-Family program. There are also small appliances, books, free Christmas decorations, and more
- Lighthouse Christian Church - 322 Eddy Dowling Highway, Woonsocket, RI 02895. Main number is (401) 729-1603
- Living Hope Assembly of God is at 100 Broadway, Pawtucket, RI 02860, telephone number (401) 723-2039
- Mary House Ministry address is 244 Smith Street, Providence, RI 02908. For the clothing bank or free gift cards/vouchers, call (401) 274-6286
- Our Lady of Good Help Church (SVDP) St. Vincent de Paul, 1063 Victory Highway, Mapleville, RI 02839. Main number - (401) 568-5272
- Saint Agatha Church supports struggling parish members from 34 Joffre Avenue, Woonsocket, RI 02895, (401) 767-2950
- Saint Charles Borromeo Church is also part of Providence County St. Vincent DePaul (SVDP). Main address: 178 Dexter Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02907, (401) 273-1108. A soup kitchen and clothing closet are on site.
- Living Waters Foursquare Gospel Church - 251 Stillwater Road, Smithfield, RI 02917. Main number -(401) 232-3114
- Saint Brendan Church - 60 Turner Avenue, Riverside, RI 02915, main number (401) 433-2600
- Our Lady of Good Help Church, 1063 Victory Highway, Mapleville, RI 02839, call (401) 568-5272
- St.Gabriel's Call, 184 Broad Street, Providence, RI 02903, main number (401) 421-7833 x225
- Saint Paul the Apostle Church is based at 116A Danielson Pike, Foster, RI 02825. For information on apply for clothes in a crisis including for work or school, dial (401) 647-3664. They also have cleaning supplies and other stuff for the home.
- Saint Philip Church SVDP (Saint Vincent De Paul), 622 Putnam Avenue, Greenville, RI 02828. Main number (401) 949-1500
- Saint Raymond Church SVDP – Address is 1240 North Main Street, Providence, Rhode Island 02904. Main number: (401) 351-4224
- Saint Matthew Trinity Lutheran Church, 690 Newport Avenue, Pawtucket, RI 02861, call (401) 723-5632.