latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rental assistance programs Prince George’s County.

Find how to get rent assistance from government agencies, churches as well as charities in Prince Georges County. There are other housing programs too, including grants to pay security deposits, section 8 vouchers or low income apartments, a free legal defense services from lawyers. It is possible to get emergency assistance for paying rent, utility or security deposits.

The agencies use a combination of funds from federal programs such as the Emergency Solutions Grant as well as state of Maryland resources, including the Rental Allowance Program, or RAP. Emergency financial aid in Prince Georges County is combined with case management, section 8 vouchers and other services. Even find affordable housing for seniors.

The goal of the non-profits and housing authorities is to prevent homelessness, so any rental assistance may be prioritized to individuals with an eviction notice. There may also be other resources available, including placement into low income apartments or transitional housing, loans for back rent as well as money to pay a security deposit on a new home.

All resources in Prince Georges County are limited, however the main organizations to contact for help with paying rent are below. Some focus on special situations, such as offer assistance for seniors, the unemployed, or disabled. If a non-profit can't provide funds, then a loan may be used for back rent, or the agency will offer referrals to other charity programs or even churches.

George's County Department of Social Services will work with tenants facing an eviction. Emergency financial help for rent or utilities is offered, as funding a allows. The government also normally oversee the Emergency Solutions Grant program. This will help prevent evictions by offering rental help as well as short term homeless shelters. There may also be free vouchers for a motel or hotel room.

Additional solutions administered are case management and other support services, including including funds for rental or utility connection deposits. Call the social service department at 800-332-6347 for referrals. The main offices are below.

  • 4235 28th Avenue, Temple Hills MD, 20748
  • 425 Brightseat Road, Landover Maryland 20785
  • 6505 Belcrest Road, Hyattsville MD, 20783
  • 805 Brightseat Road, Landover Maryland 20785




Salvation Army of Prince George's County may offer help with rent once per year (at most). The main address is 4825 Edmonston Road, Hyattsville MD, 20781. There are also transitional housing programs, free furniture, electric bill help and more. Emergency rental assistance is generally immediate for single mothers, seniors, veterans, or the disabled with an eviction notice. Call 301-277-6103.

Prince George's County Housing is a quasi public-private partnership. The main phone number is 301-883-5501. The agency processes applications for section 8 HUD vouchers, which is a form of rent subsidy. This will help very low income families with housing costs. They also oversee public housing for senior citizens, the disabled, and working poor in the community. They process applications for the Housing Choice Voucher Program, or HCVP (also known as section 8). The tenant based voucher system can help pay a portion of rent, and the amount is based on the tenants income.

Income based housing from Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers (HUD) can be used to help pay rent and utility bills. The Prince George's County Housing Authority operates it. There is a limited inventory and long wait list.  Social workers also partner with families looking to buy a home in the county or coordinate home repair programs. Also get self-sufficiency, home buying programs, long term rent assistance, public housing and more from the office at 9200 Basil Ct, Upper Marlboro, MD 20774. Dial (301) 883-5501

DSS, Office of Housing and Homeless Services operates a hotline. Dial 301-909-6362 or 888-731-0999. They give residents information on resources. Dial 888-731-0999. The government agency used federal and state funds to offer emergency rent help, they operate transitional housing units, and offer support for single moms and children, including the Shepherd's Cove center.

For residents that are otherwise stable, ongoing rental assistance may be offered, and the disabled can receive permanent placement into their own low income unit. There is also information on RAP government grant money. Location is 805 Brightseat Road, Landover MD, 20785.





St. Vincent de Paul of Prince Georges (call 410-727-3523). The church group may have occasional funds for partial rent assistance, based on donation levels. Other resources include shelter in cities such as Bowie, programs for single moms, thrift stores, and loans for some lower income families. More on rent assistance Saint Vincent Prince George’s County.

United Communities Against Poverty, or UCAP, is the local community action agency that offers help to working poor families. State of Maryland grants may be issued for paying back rent or even heating bills. Case managers can also help clients find low income apartments or housing, coordinate landlord and tenant mediation to stop evictions, and provide information on legal aid. Address is 1400 Doewood Ln,, Capitol Heights, Maryland 20743. Call (301) 322-5700.

Continuum of Care Homeless Prevention - Agencies offer eviction help and rehousing services. The assistance in Prince George’s includes grants for paying rental expenses, water bills, and heat. Based on funding, there may also be free motel vouchers for single moms as well as seniors, security deposit help, and referrals. This includes emergency legal or rent help. More on Prince George's County eviction assistance.

Laurel Advocacy and Referral Services (LARS) can be contacted at (301) 776-0442. Using funds from RAP, may have emergency assistance for rent, utilities to prevent a shut off, and other housing resources. The non-profit will also need applicants to attend financial literacy classes and take other actions in order to qualify for one time rent help.

Community Support Systems covers southern Prince George's County. Financial help (for rent, mortgages or utilities), senior living, housing advocacy and other help is offered. It is the Neighbor to Neighbor program. Location is 14070 Brandywine Road, Brandywine, MD 20613. Dial (301) 372-1491.

Veteran programs from Friendship Place and Housing Authoritycan provide rent grants too. Partnering with the Department of Veterans Affairs, Prince Georges families can receive help from VASH, a HUD created program. The supportive housing program offers everything from placement into a new home to funds for a security or utility deposit. An intake process needs to occur. Call 202.364.1419.

Community Legal Services of Prince George’s County, Inc. (6301 Ivy Ln, Greenbelt, MD 20770, phone 240-391-6370) or Legal Aid Bureau (call (301) 560-1200) offer free legal help. The non-profits also operate the Failure to Pay Rent Tenant Representation Program. They can assist with foreclosures as well as eviction prevention.

Or get help in applying for disability, section 8, cash aid, and other housing programs. Free landlord and tenant mediation is offered too. There are multiple sites too, including. Additional free or pro-bono lawyers for eviction defense or from Maryland legal aid (phone 410-951-7777).

  • 1300 Caraway Court, Upper Marlboro MD, 20774
  • 1401 University Boulevard, Hyattsville MD, 20783
  • 14735 Main Street, Upper Marlboro Maryland, 20772
  • 4990 Rhode Island Avenue, Hyattsville MD, 20781





Bowie Emergency Aid Fund is a charity at 2614 Kenhill Drive, Bowie Maryland, 20715. Everything from a few dollars for rent to food, furniture, security deposit or storage help and more is offered. Call 301-262-6765.

Regional Catholic Charities also supports the county. Main office is at 5525 Marlboro Pike, District Heights, MD. Main number (202) 772-4300. Transitional housing is for homeless women. Many other services are available, including care for seniors, assistance for rent payments, shelter, and referrals to government benefits.

Community Outreach - Various financial assistance programs (including rent and food) are offered in Prince George’s County. There is also furniture, computer lab, electric bill help, and other short and long term housing programs. Location is 4715 Marlboro Pike, Capitol Heights, MD 20743. Call (301) 735-0121

By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page