Assistance programs Potter County Texas.
Find where and how to apply for financial help, debt or mortgage counseling, free basic needs and other support in Potter County. Charities, churches, and the government health and social service department all assist. Get free grants, low cost loans, money to pay rent or electric bills, free groceries from pantries and more.
Many free services are offered too. They include back to school supplies as well as Christmas help such as free toys or meals. There are also free dental and healthcare clinics. Or find resources for immigrants or migrant workers, hotel vouchers, legal aid from law firms in Amarillo and other financial (and material) resources for struggling families.
Help from the non-profit community action
- There are multiple services offered. Households can get help with paying heating bills. A local organization, the Panhandle Community Services, has resources and programs that will assist people with expenses, including energy bills. The organization provides utility and heating bill assistance to those people who find themselves unable to afford to keep their heat on or their utility service connected.
Thousands of people receive some form of financial aid every year. In most years, Panhandle Community Services assists over 50,000 people across the region in numerous ways. Some people receive free food, debt counseling, rent help, counseling, prescriptions, and more. In general, close to 10,000 of those Potter County families also get help paying utility bills.
- Free HVAC repair or replacement or even appliances is offered too. This is another component of the energy bill assistance program, and it allows the community action agency to repair or replace various household appliances such as Air Conditioners, Refrigerators, Gas Heaters, Water Heaters and Furnaces. Not all applicants will be able to qualify for this applicant repair or replacement service since they calculate the income used for energy costs, and the household income of the applicant needs to fall within a certain percentage range. Or even find a free air conditioner for summer heat
- Community Outreach Services and emergency financial aid in Potter County is also offered by the Panhandle Community Services. This is a the general name given to some of the wide ranging assistance that is offered by the organization. The Panhandle Community Services agency administers Salvation Army funds, Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP), State and Federal government grant. There is also free grants from the Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program (CEAP), and the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) Case Management program. When combined they offer low to moderate income people numerous ways to get help.
- Another component they offer is free counseling and advice. They can refer and advice people on housing issues, debt programs, and even guide people to mortgage and foreclosure prevention programs. For example, an applicant may be assigned to a counselor who can provide tips on repairing credit or reducing credit card or medical debt. Read more on credit card help.
- Seasonal help is offered in Potter County too. The Community Action Agency provides help around back to school and holiday seasons, including Christmas. Gifts, food, and more can be passed out to the low income, and learn more on Christmas help.
The community services agency has several offices around the area, but are headquartered in Amarillo. Contact them at (806) 372-2531. Read more on Panhandle Community Services.
Potter County emergency financial and cash assistance
Circle of Friends (Don & Sybil Harrington Cancer Center) – May have limited emergency financial assistance to current cancer patients who are getting help from the Harrington Cancer Center. Applicants need to fall into that category. Limited funds and cash assistance is available for expenses and bills such as lodging, mortgage, travel, utilities, prescribed nutritional supplements, rent, take-home prescriptions, breast prostheses and other special needs. All applications are reviewed on a one off, case by case basis. 1500 Wallace Boulevard, Amarillo, Texas 79106, phone 806-359-4673
Panhandle Catholic Charities offers several assistance programs, long term support, and guidance to immigrants or refugees as well as struggling families. A focus is on the Potter County area. There is a free client choice food pantry (grocery store) for clients to shop at. Immigrants can get legal aid or apply to ESL classes. Other assistance programs include a youth shelter and mentoring, free eye glasses or exams, and even income based housing for the low income or elderly. More on Catholic Charities Potter County assistance programs.
Amarillo Salvation Army – Offers several resources, including rent assistance and homeless prevention across Potter County. Other items provided include free food and/or low cost clothing. Other financial assistance is offered for paying rent, utilities such as electric, gas or water bills, and medications.
Christmas and Thanksgiving dinner and meals are served seasonally. A Christmas program can provide gifts, clothes, and similar items, and is known as The Angel Tree. School items may be provided too. 400 South Harrison, Amarillo, TX 79101, dial 806-373-6631. More details on Salvation Army programs Amarillo Texas.
Potter County housing solutions are available. Tenants facing eviction can apply for one time rent help, there are shelters and security deposit assistance programs for rehousing, legal aid, and more. All of the assistance for housing is intended to reduce the number of homeless in the community. More on rent help in Potter County.
Central Church of Christ-Amarillo – Offers outreach services. This can include Automobile Gas Assistance and voucher cards (with valid Auto Insurance and Driver's License) and/or utility payment assistance. Phone 806-373-4389.
Potter County Health and Human Services helps with government assistance, welfare, cash aid, and other public benefits. The main office is at 601 S. Buchanan Street in Amarillo, Texas 79101. Some of the grant programs include the following.
- Temporary cash assistance for paying bills, rent, housing, food and more.
- Vouchers and food assistance programs including applications to SNAP food stamps (and the EBT card) as well as WIC vouchers, free school lunches and more.
- Government health insurance plans such as Medicaid or Medicare.
- Help for the elderly as well as disabled. Housing, loans, FMLA, SSI and other benefits. Read more on, and find other Texas disability financial aid programs.
- Job training and/or retraining for residents in Potter County.
Human Services offers much more too. Whether it is funeral help, home care for the elderly, prescription drug help from Medicare, subsidized daycare, or section 8, resources are offered. Call (806) 378-3000. Or click here for additional social services in Texas.
Meals, food, and free groceries
Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church – Offers a food pantry. Applicants need to meet and be referred by a social worker to the pantry. The center is only open very limited hours. Main number is 806-359-9483
Bethesda Outreach Center is located at 1101 Fritch Highway, Amarillo, Texas 79108. Seasonal programs provide Thanksgiving food and meals, as well as school supplies. Food assistance and a clothing pantry are also offered. Phone 806-381-0361
Perkins Community Service Center – One time assistance is offered for people with a catastrophic event or disaster, such as fire, loss of job, or death of spouse. Food and clothing may be distributed. Phone number is 806-372-3954
Cornerstone Outreach Center of Amarillo, Inc. – Food baskets and boxes are offered for needy individuals or families. Phone 806-381-2131
Catholic Family Service, Inc. – Runs a food store for people aged 55 and older or disabled individuals. Deliveries are made to the homebound too. Financial and debt counseling is offered, and referrals are also provided. A Christmas Basket with meals and food items are provided to clients in December of each year. Address is 200 South Tyler, Amarillo, TX 79101, phone 806-376-4571
Church of Christ-Amarillo, 1401 S Monroe, Amarillo, TX 79101
Comanche Trail Church of Christ also distributes food and meals. Location is 2700 East 34th Street, Amarillo, Texas 79103.
Southwest Church of Christ – Offers used clothing, food, and furniture to qualified individuals. You need to make an appointment to apply. 806-352-5647
Washington Avenue Christian Church food pantry is available at 806-352-1307
Several other soup kitchens and food pantries are in the region. Even if one of these locations can’t satisfy the request of the family, then they may offer referrals, including to food stamp intake sites. More on Amarillo and Potter County free food pantries.
Medical care and free health clinics
Regence Health Network, Inc. – This clinic provides basic medical and dental care to homeless individuals including diabetes medication, immunizations, and general wellness exams. Location is 200 South Tyler, Amarillo, Texas 79101, phone number is 806-345-7917
Northwest Texas Healthcare System – An eligibility process is in place. However upon verification of eligibility by the Financial Needs Assessment Center, the system may be able to provide comprehensive uncompensated health care to patients. Location is 814 Martin Road, Amarillo, TX 79107, phone umber is 806-351-7200
Coalition of Health Services, Inc. – Individuals with no health insurance, and who have chronic illnesses or diagnoses, can receive help. Free or low cost health care is limited to people whose total income is at 150% of the federal poverty level or lower. The coalition also may have information on other medical bill assistance programs.
Regence Health Network, Inc. – A number of primary medical and dental services are offered by this clinic, including diabetes management; obstetrics, geriatrics; family planning; dental services include: check-ups, x-rays, dentures, root canals and cleaning; well-child checkups and immunizations, and even prescription services. Center is at 824 North Martin Rd, Amarillo, Texas 79107, call 806-374-7341
Several dental clinics are located in Potter County Texas. As many residents lack this form of coverage. They give free care, both preventative as well as emergency. Cleanings, teeth exams, extractions (such as root canals) and more is offered. Try this tool to find free dental clinics near me.