latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Philadelphia rental assistance programs.

Renters and tenants in the Philadelphia Pennsylvania region have a number of rental assistance programs and housing services available to them. Below find a listing and information on non-profits, charities, government programs, and other ways to get support. There is rent help, low income apartments, grants to pay security deposits or section 8 housing vouchers in Philadelphia. While the demand is great, and many organizations have waiting lists or limited funding, you can still call and see what type of aid, if any, that they may offer qualified applicants.

A rent and Transitional Housing Program is provided by an organization known as Tenant's Rental Assistance Corporation (TRAC). Their address is 21 South 12th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107. Various rental and housing programs are administered, including emergency funds and other forms of cash assistance. Dial the agency at (215) 575-0700.

Department of Public Welfare - Philadelphia offers some or all of the following programs. Housing counseling, financial management, and budgeting help. As funding allows and for those that qualify, there may be information on affordable housing and rent assistance, homeownership assistance, and financial aid for the currently homeless as well.

The statewide Homeless Assistance Program, or HAP, can offer qualified individuals in Philadelphia County a variety of grant programs for paying rent, an overdue energy bill or a security deposit, shelter services, and rehousing support. The local address is 801 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, 1-800-692-7462.

One firm that help resolve landlord and tenant disputes, and provides legal aid, is Tenant's Action Group (TAG). Call them at (215) 575-0700, or if that number does not work, try TURN at the telephone number below. The organization specializes in offering help in dealing with legal disputes and disagreements between landlords and tenants. Work with counselors and lawyers to find solutions and gain access to free information on places to go for counseling and rent help. In addition, you may be able to receive assistance from the various housing options.




In the city of Philadelphia, both help for paying rent, and even energy and heating bill assistance, is provided by Multi-Service Related Programs that are primarily run by the Community Action Agency of Delaware County. However this is available for people in Philadelphia as well, as funding allows.

Financial assistance programs are focused on the low income, unemployed and working poor. Counselors from the non-profit agency may be able to provide grants and direct emergency rental assistance to renters and Philadelphia families who need help. In some cases, loans may be used in lieu of a grant for paying rent. Dial (610) 874-8451 or (610) 891-5101.

The Philadelphia Emergency Shelter Assistance Program can provide Temporary Rental Assistance. Get help and assistance for paying security deposits, funds to prevent evictions, and emergency help. It is available in all parts of Philadelphia, including the West District, Elmwood, the Somerset District, downtown and more.

Call 215-560-1976, 215-560-4000, or 215-560-3283 to reach the Department of Welfare housing assistance programs. Clients of agency range from single moms to the unemployed, disabled, working poor, and elderly. ESA offers grants for paying rent or a security/utility deposit, homeless prevention, and even foreclosure prevention services.

Philadelphia Veterans Multi-Service and Education Center - Supportive Service for Veteran Families (SSVF) assists very low income veterans and their families. Resources available from SSVF range from financial aid for helping with back rent to loans, job placement, and shelter to the homeless. Dial 215-923-2600, or stop by 213/217 North 4th Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19106.





United Communities Southeast Philadelphia
Location is 2029 South 8th Street
Philadelphia, PA, 19148
Phone - 215-468-1645 ext. 223
The Rental and Mortgage Delinquency helps tenants and homeowners. Emergency funds can help income qualified renters, senor citizens or homeowners catch up on a mortgage payment, rental arrears, or energy costs.

Congreso de Latinos Unidos offers the Housing Retention Program (HRP). It helps Spanish speakers and Latinos with paying their rent, including referrals for immigrants. Call 215-763-8870. The goal is to offer short term rental assistance as well as legal aid to reduce homelessness in Philadelphia. Location is 216 West Somerset Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19133.

Germantown Avenue Crisis Ministry
35 West Chelten Avenue
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19144
Call 215-843-2340
The non-profit charity only covers zip codes of 19118, 19119, 19138, 19144 and 19150. Families can get referrals to rental assistance, loan programs, and other housing services.

A city and county wide community action agency is available. Most of the financial aid (whether for rent, heating costs, disability, etc.) is from referrals. But the government affiliated organizations helps the working poor, elderly, and disabled as well as single mothers with housing needs. Get everything from funds to pay rent (to stop an eviction) to loan counseling and more. Continue with Office of Community Empowerment and Opportunity in Philadelphia.

Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania (LASP) can help with housing matters. Free legal aid is for low income qualified families in Philadelphia County. Receive assistance with stopping evictions, landlord/tenant medication issues, details on Subsidized and Public Housing, and support for predatory lenders, among other services. (877) 429 - 5994

TURN - Tenant Union Representative Network has an eviction defense workshop. Case managers may also have referrals to emergency rent or security deposit programs, including cash granThts and other aid. (215) 940 - 3900

Emergency Assistance and Response Unit (EARU) can help those on the verge of evictions or the currently homeless. There may be limited financial aid or loans to pay rent or address other housing needs. Families faced with a natural disaster may be offered shelter or motel vouchers as well. (215) 685 - 9087

Philadelphia Housing Authority runs the Pennsylvania section 8 housing voucher program. Call (215) 684-4000. They also operate low income housing in the community. This may be the leading government agency to call for support.







Fair Housing Commission serves individuals in Philadelphia. Their main office is located on 34 South 11th Street. They can help mediate and negotiate solutions between landlord and tenants and also direct residents towards rental assistance programs, such as Section 8 and the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Rehousing Program. Call (215) 686-4670.

The Philadelphia Council for Community Advancement offers qualified individuals access to the Housing Counseling Services. It can provide eviction prevention services as well as Section 8 vouchers. Money management assistance, budgeting skills, and debt counseling is also offered as well, as needed. Phone number is (215) 567-7803.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site