Rent assistance in Orange County California.

Find how to get rent assistance in Orange County California. A number of agencies, non-profits, and government programs operate in Santa Ana, Irvine, and Anaheim California, and each is committed to provide rent and housing assistance. Many agencies also offer mediation and counseling services to tenants.

The exact amount of financial aid offered by each rental assistance program varies by organization and non-profit agency. Some focus on the low income, some on elderly, and others on the disabled in the community. But the bottom line is that there is a strong commitment to help the low income and people who need help in Orange County California pay their rent and housing expenses. Get information and phone numbers of non-profits and government programs to call for rent help below.

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) runs a rental and housing assistance program  for homeless veterans and those on the verge of homelessness and the aid focuses on the disabled. Additional support is provided too. The Long Beach VA determines eligibility for the program and will then refer them to the Orange County Housing Authority (no waiting list). Hundreds of people get help per year with an extensive variety of needs. Phone - (562) 826-8000 Ext. 2336.

Salvation Army of Orange County California runs the Transitional Housing Program, which is a comprehensive housing program for either singles or families who have been assessed for the need for low income assistance thorough case management and financial assistance. Several locations and branches are across the county, including

  • Address is 310 N Claudina St, Anaheim, California 92805, dial 714-778-0242
  • Location of a center is at 17261 Oak Ln, Huntington Beach, California 92647. Phone number is 841-0150
  • Location is 1710 W Edinger Ave, Santa Ana, CA 92704. Main phone number is 714-384-0481
  • Mailing address - 616 S El Camino Real, San Clemente, CA 92672, or dial 949-366-6652




Orange County California Housing Authorities – The are four primary Housing Authorities in Orange County. They are Anaheim Housing (address 200 S. Anaheim Blvd 11277 ((714)765-4320), Garden Grove Housing ((714) 741-5150), Santa Ana Housing (address 20 Civic Center Plaza (714) 667-2200) as well as the main Orange County Housing office (address 1770 N. Broadway (714) 480-2700). These four agencies run a large number of eviction prevention, rent assistance, and other homeless prevention programs, including California section 8 housing.

Shelter Plus Care (SPC) – The homeless and disabled can get rental help from this program. You need to be referred to it from a Health Care Agency or community clinic. It is estimated about 12,000 Orange County California residents could qualify for rental assistance from Shelter Plus Care (SPC)





Orange County Community Housing Corporation, located in Santa Ana, CA is committed to helping the low income transition into housing. Case managers can provide them with greater self sufficiency by assisting with housing and education. The organization maintains section 8 housing units that are affordable. They don’t  provide funds for paying rent. The address is 501 N Golden Cir Dr #200, Santa Ana, California 92705, or to learn more dial (714) 558-8161.

Families Forward, which is run out of Irvine California, is a service-enriched housing assistance program that serves families with minor aged children in South Orange County. Phone number is (949) 552-2727, and address is 8 Thomas, Irvine, CA 92618.

Catholic Church of Saint Cecilia - Uses donations from the community, there may be very limited funds to pay for rent for the Tustin California region in a crisis. Telephone - 714-544-3250. Location is 1301 Sycamore Ave, Tustin, California 92780.

Homeless Prevention and Outreach - The Irvine based center may have funds or interest deferred loans for a partial rent payment. Other services may include referrals and advice on preventing evictions. The currently homeless may learn about transitional or low income housing in Orange County, or programs to pay for a security deposit or moving costs. 949-380-8144.

Eviction Prevention, emergency rent help and more may be offered as part Orange County’s Continuum of Care program. This is for families facing eviction and the currently homeless. This can provide grants for paying rent, security deposits, moving expenses, and other housing needs. Other services offered will address the clients overall financial health and can include credit counseling programs.

There is a focuses on homeless prevention, while will be one time financial support, including rental assistance.  Other resources offered in California may be transitional housing, outreach and assessment, emergency shelter, and permanent, low income housing or apartments. Call 949-646-4357.

Catholic Charities Community Outreach Services has information and referrals on basic needs. This may include shelters, homeless prevention programs, and other social services. While more limited, the charity may have information on rental assistance, low income housing for the disabled or seniors, or security deposit programs. Some non-profits in Orange County may only issue loans to pay costs such as rent or a deposit. For referrals, the Santa Ana group is at 714-347-9668.




Referrals and the so called one door system for homeless individuals is available in Orange County. There is also possible support for qualified individuals that are behind on their mortgage or rent and are faced with an eviction. Assistance available may include emergency funds to pay for back rent, transitional housing or apartments, shelters, and more. (888)-600-4357

Family Assistance Ministries Gilchrist House can offer case management , shelter, supportive services, and aftercare for homeless children and women and/or families with young children. Address is 1030 Calle Negocio, San Clemente, CA 92673. Or call 949-492-8477.

Anaheim, Assistance Community Development Department works with local charities, non-profits, and other organizations to offer homeless prevention programs and services, including emergency rental assistance. In an effort to reduce risks, some of the partner organizations may offer qualified low income families a loan for their bills or rental payments. Support and assistance programs may be available for people who are experiencing an unexpected hardship. Dial (714) 7654596.

Southwest Minority Economic Development Association of Santa Ana California can be contacted for information on local low income housing programs, and other charity programs, such as food and hot meals. Call (714) 547-4073, or the address is 1601 W 2nd St, Santa Ana, California 92703.

Assistance League of Orange - Call 714-269-3382. Note in order to receive help, all applicants must live in the city of Orange only. Assistance may be for rent expenses. If facing an eviction due to an overdue energy bill, then help may be offered for that as well. Oftentimes a loan is used for housing or rental assistance. This is the local branch of the nationwide wide charity organization. The office is at 124 S Orange St, Orange, California 92866.

Tenant eviction and rehousing is used to keep a family in their home and help people locate a new, affordable apartment. Assistance including rent, motel vouchers, and security deposit help is paid using government grants. Legal representation and landlord mediation is also often combined with rental assistance to prevent homelessness. More on Orange County California eviction and rehousing help.





Legal Aid Society of Orange County offers qualified low income families, including the elderly, with free advice or representation. Issues addressed can be for stopping evictions, unsafe or discriminatory housing, and general homeless prevention. Only civil matters are addressed. There are offices in Santa Ana and Anaheim. Call 800-834-5001. There are multiple offices in Orange County, Anaheim and other areas, but the main center is at 2101 North Tustin Avenue, Santa Ana, California 92705.

Anaheim Community Foundation runs a service known as the Motel Families Project. This can help those on the verge of eviction, as well as currently homeless families with rent assistance, case management, utility assistance, and moving expenses and other expenses. Some grants for deposits may be available. The address is 200 S. Anaheim Blvd., Ste 433 Anaheim, CA 92805, or call (714) 765-4419.

Garden Grove United Labor Agency of Orange County runs an Emergency Assistance Program, which provides basic needs assistance including rent help, food resources, individual Case Management, and homeowner and landlord/tenant counseling. Mailing address is 13252 Garden Grove Blvd, Garden Grove, CA 92843, or call (714) 740-0928.

Mercy House Living Centers, Inc. is for the homeless and families looking to move into a permanent home. The non-profit will pay out financial assistance and cash grants to people without housing or someone who is currently in an Orange County shelter. The center and its staff will use the money to assist with paying security deposits, utility deposits, rent assistance and other housing/moving costs. Dial 714-836-7188, or the address is 1505 E 17th St, Santa Ana, California 92705.

A housing program known as Transitional Housing and Supportive Services for Homeless, Pregnant Women and their Children is offered by Toby’s House. Call 949-661-4408. This resource offers housing, rental assistance, free food, clothing and an extensive variety of supportive services, including eviction prevention, to homeless, pregnant women (at any stage of pregnancy) and their young children for up to two years if they qualify for aid. Capistrano Beach address.

Serving People in Need, Inc., Guided Assistance to Housing Placement Program, may be able to provide transitional housing, rental support services, and more to ensure clients and low income members of the community learn to maintain housing, help them stay in their homes or apartments, stabilize their finances and become self-sufficient over the long term. Dial the Costa Mesa CA agency at (714) 751-1101.



By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy