Northeast Oregon assistance programs.
Residents of Northeast Oregon, including the counties of Baker, Grant, Union, and Wallowa Oregon can get help with paying for energy bills, rent assistance, food, and other financial assistance.
Bread of Life, which is located in Baker City Oregon, is a fully staffed food bank. Trained and highly dedicated volunteers and other members of the community provide food and household products to low-income individuals and families in Baker County, and anyone else who may need a little help during difficult times. Call (541) 523-3604.
Elgin Food Bank - This non-profit organization provides supplemental food and household items to low to moderate income eligible individuals and families living in Imbler, Elgin, Summerville, and surrounding areas. Dial (541) 437-1709. Elgin, OR 97827
Community Connection of Northeast Oregon, Inc. is the community action agency of Baker, Grant, Union, and Wallowa counties.
- Utility bills - They administer the Low income Energy Assistance Program for the low income, elderly, disabled, and others. Financial assistance can help people pay a regular monthly bill, or a crisis component can help prevent a disconnection.
- Housing, rent, and mortgage help - Various housing programs are offered, including rent assistance, eviction prevention, mortgage delinquency counseling, and information on federal government mortgage and foreclosure assistance programs.
- Food assistance - They partner with local food banks to provide food and groceries.
- Weatherization - Save on and reduce your energy bills from free energy conserving improvements to your home or apartment.
- Senior programs - They coordinate activities and can direct the elderly and seniors to various agencies and charities.
Call the Community Connection of Northeast Oregon, Inc. is located in La Grande Oregon but can help people in the entire area. Call (541) 963-3186
Cove Food Bank - Another food pantry that offers free food and household items to low income people in the area. Located in Cove, OR. Dial (541) 786-0100.
The Salvation Army has several locations and branches around the area, including in La Grande and Baker City. Dial (541) 963-4829 or call (541) 523-5853. The non-profit charity organization can offer a variety of assistance programs, resources, and social services to the public as well as low income in the area.
The Salvation Army in NE Oregon offers Family Services including disbursal of free food, groceries, clothing and furniture through the social service program. They offer services for emergencies, Christmas food baskets as well as free toys, back to school supplies, and youth programs. From time to time they may have limited financial assistance, or can refer people to programs, to help pay energy bills, rent, and money for prescriptions. Learn more on Salvation Army assistance programs in La Grande and Baker City.
Union County and Northeast Oregon Salvation Army - Long term social services and short term financial aid may be available. While resources at the non-profit are limited by funding, when possible they will try to provide cash assistance for heating bills, utilities, or housing. More basic need type programs in the region can include food pantries or holiday assistance. Case management is provided too. Click here.
North Powder Food Bank is another food pantry in the community. Dial (541) 898-2146.
Union Community Food Bank provides food boxes and groceries to individuals and families. Call (541) 562-5675.