La Grande and Baker City area Salvation Army assistance programs.
A Christian, faith based church in Northeastern Oregon is known as the Salvation Army. The charity provides Family Services throughout the community, including in La Grande and Baker City. The assistance ranges from free food to financial help for bills, rent, free food, or housing. There are also free back to school supplies, homeless shelters, and Christmas toys or meals.
All of that aid is combined with case management services, assistance for kids and students, employment programs, and much more. The assistance is paid for from the local thrift stores.
The church will require applicants to meet certain criteria. There are requirements and parameters to be met, such as applicants need to bring the La Grande and Baker Salvation Army details on all household bills, copies of lease, etc. Applicants need a copy of driver’s license/photo ID; copy of lease or mortgage agreement, Proof of all household income (job, pension, disability, etc.), and more. Bring details on what will be done to pay future bills as well, and the support is not never ending.
Resources from Salvation Army in La Grande and Baker and Northeastern Oregon
There are services, basic needs, financial help, and much more. Each applicant is assessed on a one off basis, and after the process is completed some type of support will be given to the client. The types of financial assistance are noted below.
- Housing, rent, utility bill, and moving expenses. Or find Oregon homeless prevention assistance programs.
- Medical needs, including vouchers for prescription drugs, information on affordable medical care, and rides to doctor offices.
- Assistance for employment, including free gasoline vouchers, work clothes, and other items.
- Disaster relief and response programs get the client resettled, help them feed their family, and address other needs.
When it comes to services, this generally is part of the Northeastern Oregon Salvation Army case management process. Social workers from the charity-church meet with applicants to review their needs. Based on the result of this meeting, as well as the assessment that will take place, help will be arranged. The solutions include the following.
- Information on job placement resources in Northeastern Oregon as well as training centers.
- The social worker addresses budgeting needs, debts, savings, and financial literacy.
- Drug or alcohol, substance abuse, and other centers are operated by the Salvation Army centers in the region.
- Programs focused on addressing poverty, homelessness, and getting the client back on track.
- Case workers partner with clients on answering questions as well as directing them to a resource for their needs.
The remaining category of assistance from the charity is on basic needs. This is when the Salvation Army center in Baker city and La Grande tries to provide support for those everyday items that people need. This can be effective in that it reduces the other, long term obligations of the family and may even free up their money for paying other bills. Basic needs are as follows.
- Seasonal services fall under basic needs, and those programs give free Christmas toys, holiday meals, and other goods.
- During the summer and fall months, free school supplies, backpacks, shoes, books, and other supplies are passed out.
- Falling both under basic needs as well as financial help will be groceries from the food pantry, and the location will also have hygiene items, soap, razors, and even feminine products.
- Low cost thrift store sells supplies, including furniture, beds, utensils, and other supplies. They also help people shop smarter using coupons and unit pricing.
All of the assistance programs change and evolve over time. Some provide immediate relief to families; others have a longer intake process as well as come with restrictions. While under high demand, the programs around rent, energy bills, and more monetary needs are most limited. However, referrals may always be given if and when needed.
Apply for Salvation Army programs in Northeastern Oregon
The La Grande and Baker City Salvation Army Family Services are run from the office at 2505 Broadway St, Baker City, Oregon 97814 (phone (541) 523-5853) as well as 1114 Y Ave, La Grande, OR 97850 (phone 541 963 4829). The intake number is different for each location. Appointments need to be made, though some walk is services are offered, which include the emergency food bank, clothing closet, Family Store for shopping, and similar basic need programs.