New Haven County rent assistance.

Get information on New Haven rent assistance programs. A number of agencies, non-profit organizations, and government programs provide rent help to low income individuals and families.

If you are faced with an eviction, or are falling behind on your monthly rental payments, call or stop by a location in New Haven for details on rental assistance programs and services. A number of different grant programs as well as homeless prevention services and resources can be applied to. There may be case management available as well as financial aid for low income housing and/or rent help. Some provide emergency assistance, others offer longer term payments, counseling, and self-sufficiency. Also learn about federal government rent assistance plans that may be available, such as Section 8 and homeless prevention and rapid rehousing.

Community Action Agency of New Haven, Inc. supports qualified residents of Hamden as well as New Haven, East Haven, North Haven and the West Haven region. Eviction prevention assistance includes an interview and assessment. They may also offer meditation and limited financial aid for those facing homelessness or that are in imminent risk of eviction.

Regional Salvation Army Centers may offer rehousing. This is limited and often depends on government grants. There is one location is in Waterbury. There may be help with locating a new apartment, grants to pay the security deposit or first months rent, and stabilization. 74 Central Avenue, Waterbury, Connecticut, 06702, 203-754-7056

Saint Vincent De Paul Middletown may have emergency rent or utility assistance. Other housing support is for those facing eviction or the homeless. Resources are also seniors and the disabled in New Haven, if they are qualified. The ministry may use loans as a form of rental assistance in some cases. 860-344-0097

New Haven Housing Authority runs a small scale program known as Homeless Permanent Supportive Housing. It is for under 30 people with a mental illness. They will receive case management, information on rental assistance when ready to leave the program, and more. Ferry Street, New Haven, Connecticut, 06513, 203-498-8800





Community Action - New Opportunities provides services in a limited area, including Meride, Central Naugatuck Valley, and Litchfield Hills. There may be eviction prevention help, shelters, grants to pay a portion of rent, and other economic support. Some tenants can receive mediation with their landlord, or referrals to other non-profits or charities. 232 North Elm Street, Waterbury, CT, 06702, 203-575-9799

Connecticut Social Services - Southern Regional Office, New Haven administers state and federal cash assistance for low income individuals and families with children, individuals or families who are elderly or disabled, and refugees. Dial (203) 974-8000

Columbus House, Inc. – Runs the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing (HPRP) program for the New Haven Connecticut region. It can offer cash grants and financial assistance, with the goal of preventing homelessness by providing financial and rental assistance to eligible families. Some of the people who can get help include individuals and couples without children who are homeless or facing possible homelessness.

The program is intended to help applicants who but for this assistance would otherwise be homeless or evicted from their home or apartment. It is not intended to be a long term charity program. The non-profit also offers comprehensive case management services agency-wide through emergency, permanent, and transitional housing. Specialists and on site case managers provide assessment and referrals to appropriate community services, including charities and state and federal government programs, to help clients identify and overcome many of the causes of their homelessness. 586 Ella T. Grasso Boulevard, New Haven, CT 06519, phone (203) 401-4400.

Liberty Community Services, Inc. – Another New Haven non-profit that may be able to provide temporary, short term financial assistance for paying rent and housing costs. In addition, work with a counselor for housing relocation and stabilization services, which is being offered to people who are homeless or would be homeless but for this assistance.

They do also administer eviction prevention assistance, which is intended to keep current housing or help people move to other safe yet affordable housing in the county. Other services include rental assistance for a maximum of 18 months, funds to pay up to 6 months back rent, security deposits and utility deposits, and even help for moving cost expenses. 129 Church Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, phone (203) 495-7600




CTRRP is an eviction prevention and rehousing program in New Haven County. Based on eligibility requirements, ESG grants are available for rental arrears, utilities, moving costs, and more. Other resources may help the homeless in the city, and there are free motel vouchers or security deposit help. More on New Haven County homeless prevention.

TEAM, INC. administers an eviction prevention program for the county. It is offered to qualified residents who are facing a one-time financial challenge and who need rental assistance. Your application will be reviewed. Note if you owe too much money you may not qualify. An eviction/notice to quite is also required. Location is 30 Elizabeth Street, Century Plaza, Derby, CT 06418-1846. Call (203) 736-5420

Continuum of Care, Inc. administers the Housing Resource Development Program. They offer financial assistance and housing placement. Program Staff search throughout Greater New Haven County area to help qualified people locate low income housing. Case managers and staff also administer rental subsidy loans and rental supplemental grants for families and/or individuals with mental health needs who can live independently in the region.

If you are facing a hardship, call them for information. The agency will process requests for rental assistance, and the organization may also providing bridge subsidy and security deposit loans to the low income. 67 Trumbull Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, dial (203) 401-2082

John D'amelia and Associates, based in Waterbury, runs the federal government Section 8 rental subsidy program on behalf of the Connecticut Department of Housing. The rental assistance/subsidy program is for low income families, disabled adults ages 18, and also assistance for older adults age 62 or older. (203) 757-1138.

CMHC runs the New Haven Shelter Plus Care Program. The non-profit can offer financial assistance with rent expenses, support services, and access to either short term or permanent housing rental subsidies for working poor and/or homeless individuals. Applicants need to have a serious, HIV/AIDS, or some other condition. The agency passes out rental assistance certificates. 319 Peck Street, Building #1, New Haven, CT 06513. Call (203) 764-6330

Elderly Services of New Haven offers the Rent Rebate Program for the Elderly & Disabled. Rebates and subsidies are offered. Address is 165 Church Street, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, phone (203) 946-7854. Read more on housing programs for seniors.

The regional Rental Assistance Program is run by the New Haven Department of Social Services. Phone (203) 757-1138. The state of Connecticut RAP program is the major state-funded program for helping very low-income individuals and families pay for safe, decent, yet affordable housing and apartments.

Christian Community Action of New Haven County runs a transitional housing program that lasts up to 2 years. Guests will need to pay a portion of their income towards rent, deposits and any other housing costs. Case management, self-sufficiency, and other support is administered as well. 660 Winchester Avenue, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, dial (203) 777-7167.





No Closed Door is a referral service. Volunteer members of the community provide information on local assistance programs, including housing and rent. There are also details on shelters for the homeless, legal aid to stop an eviction, and more.

Basic needs can also be referred too. This means that in addition for information on rent or deposit programs, the volunteers may refer clients to furniture programs, household products for an apartment, and much more. They also provide information on job placement/self-suffciency. Address is 205 Whitney Avenue, Suite 106, New Haven, CT, 06510, or for referrals, dial 203-654-9512.

Referrals from United Way New Haven 211 lined can also be helpful in New Haven County. There are eviction prevention programs, grants, counseling, and more for families that are at imminent risk of homelessness, or who are currently homeless today. Each agency in the region has a variety of housing programs.

Some charities allow people to apply for emergency rental assistance, including back rent. Money can also help pay for security as well as utility deposits in some cases. Last, but not least, the referral service is a great place for information on other local charities and agencies as well as shelters when appropriate. Free legal advice can be obtained too. The goal is to stabilize the family after they have received some form of financial help in paying their rent, moving costs, or utilities. Call 211.

By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy