latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Search the site

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money





Transitional and low income housing programs in Nebraska.

Residents in Nebraska that are facing eviction or homelessness have several transitional housing programs available to them. The resources can provide free homeless shelter, temporary housing, vouchers for motel rooms and other case management type services, such as job search assistance. Thousands of struggling families and individuals across the state receive help from them every year. Others receive referrals to emergency shelters or public aid.

When possible, the non-profits that administer these services will try to prevent homelessness in the first place. So they may offer emergency rental assistance or referrals to local resources. However that is not common due to limited funding. So the Nebraska programs and the organizations will focus on working with clients to help them regain self-sufficiency and to get placed into a new home or apartment.

Some of the leading transitional housing and low income programs in Nebraska are listed below. If a center is not near you, they are very effective at providing referrals to other offices and/or government programs, including subsidized apartments and homes.

Blue Valley Community Action Partnership
There are several of these offices in the state and they administer transitional housing and homeless services. Project Focus is when staff work one-on-one with individuals and families. They provide case management and refer people to local resources and non-profits, including loan programs for a security deposit. Low income housing may be offered for families and children for up to 2 years as part of Project First. Other resources include government subsidized apartments, home repairs, clothing, shelters, and help in finding permanent housing.

  • Butler County, 416 East Street, David City, Nebraska 68632, dial (402) 367-4347
  • Fillmore County, 130 South 8th Street, Geneva, NE 68361. Dial (402) 759-3564 for intake.
  • Gage County, Family Resource Center, 5109 West Scott Road, Suite 402, Beatrice, NE 68310, telephone (402) 223-6034
  • Jefferson County, 608 14th Street, Fairbury, Nebraska 68352, (402) 729-5568
  • Polk County, 440 Nebraska Street, Osceola, NE 68651, call (402) 747-2102 for information.
  • Saline County, 245 East 9th Street, Suite 1, Crete, NE 68333, dial (402) 826-2376




  • Seward County, 105 South 6th Street, Seward, Nebraska 68434, main phone (402) 643-6425
  • Thayer County, 135 North 4th Street, Hebron, NE 68370, main number is (402) 768-6704
  • York County, 3401 North Lincoln Avenue, York, NE 68467, telephone (402) 362-3516

Boys Home - CEDARS
Main address is 1911 South 20th Street
Lincoln, Nebraska 68502
Telephone - (402) 437-8910

Bridges Transitional Living Program - CEDARS
6601 Pioneers Boulevard, Suite 1
Lincoln, NE 68506-5260
(402) 890-1263
The non-profit helps teens in Lancaster County. Housing, case management, employment assistance and more is available. The organization is also accredited by the Council of Accreditation (COA).

Care Corps Homeless Shelter
723 North Broad
Fremont, Nebraska 68025
Main phone - (402) 721-3125
Dodge County families can access emergency shelters, homeless prevention services, and more. Case managers can help the unemployed and others in the community. They can also help clients find permanent supportive housing in cooperation with HUD and other agencies.

Catholic Social Services
They operate across Nebraska. Some of the man offices are below. Social workers can help the low income, poor, and others find and pay for low income housing, offer basic needs such as clothing, and other support services.
2241 O Street, Lincoln, Nebraska 68510, (402) 474-1600
333 West 2nd Street, Hastings, NE 68901, dial (402) 463-2112





CenterPointe, Inc.
2633 P Street
Lincoln, NE 68503
Main Office: (402) 475-8717
Provides transitional housing as well as homeless shelters for veterans. It is for those facing eviction or homelessness and the agency also supports individuals with mental illness or co-occurring disorders. One resource is the veterans permanent housing program, which can provide rental assistance. A number of other support services are administered too.

Central Nebraska Community Services
This organization also has several offices. Numerous housing solutions are available for individuals facing eviction and the working poor, among others.

  • The center supports Brown, Keya Paha, and Rock County. 119 North Main, Ainsworth, Nebraska 69210, (402) 387-1035
  • Blaine, Custer and Loup County - 924 East South E Street, Broken Bow, NE 68822, (308) 872-6013
  • Hamilton, Merrick and Nance County, 715 16th Street, Central City, NE 68826, (308) 946-3794
  • Boone, Colfax and Platte County, 3362 53rd Avenue, Columbus, Nebraska 68601, (402) 564-1124
  • Hall and Howard County, 2525 West Lincoln Highway, Grand Island, NE 68803, (308) 385-5500
  • Garfield, Greeley, Sherman and Valley County residents are supported by an office at 626 N Street
    Loup City, NE 68853, (308) 745-0780
  • Boyd, Brown, Holt, Keya, Rock, and Wheeler County 202 South 10th Street, O' Neill, Nebraska 68763, dial (402) 336-4298

Fresh Start Home
Main address: 6433 Havelock Avenue
Lincoln, Nebraska 68507
(402) 475-7777
The transitional housing program offers emergency and basic needs and other assistance for families facing eviction and the currently homeless. The focus is on women, including single parents. Support services are offered too, such as information and referral, medical care and transportation, and general financial support.

Heartland Family Service - Council Bluffs
Location is 515 East Broadway
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
Main phone number - (712) 322-1407

Hope Harbor Transitional Homeless Shelter
610 West Division Street
Grand Island, NE 68801
(308) 385-5190
The regions and counties of Hall, Hamilton, Howard and Merrick County are supported. Both emergency shelter and short term housing resources are administered. Some portion of your income may need to be paid towards rent or fees.





Independent Living Program - Omaha Home For Boys
Location is 919 North 48th Street
Omaha, Nebraska 68132
Telephone - (402) 558-0366
The non-profit covers Pottawattamie, Douglas and Sarpy County.

New Visions Dr. Maurice Hart Veteran's Building
Main address is 1425 North 18th Street
Omaha, Nebraska 68102
Dial (712) 322-7570
Veterans can access transitional housing programs. It is available for up to 24 months.

New Visions Timothy House
Location is 1435 North 15th Street
Council Bluffs, IA 51501
(712) 322-7570

Omaha Housing Authority, Martin Luther King Center
Main address - 3005 Emmet Street
Omaha, NE 68111-3269
Dial (402) 444-4200
Processes applications for the section 8 program, provides transitional housing for the homeless and disabled, and offers other help to seniors, single moms, and others. This can include housing search as well as rent subsidized homes or apartments. Or try the office at 1823 Harney Street, Omaha, NE 68102. Phone 402-444-6900.

Open Table/Square One
Transitional Housing/Shelter
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
Telephone number - (712) 328-8122

People's City Mission
Location is 110 Q Street
Lincoln, Nebraska 68508
Dial (402) 475-1303
Lancaster County residents can access the emergency shelter. It also offers them free meals, case management, and referrals to government benefits and job programs. Both men and women can be assisted.

Pottawattamie County Homeless Link
1515 Avenue J
Council Bluffs, IA 51501
Telephone number - (712) 309-0016
Pottawattamie County qualified individuals may be able to get financial assistance for housing and other needs.

R.A.F.T., Inc, Transitional Housing/Homeless Shelter
16 West 11th Street
Kearney, NE 68847
Main phone (308) 865-1355
Serving Buffalo, Kearney, Franklin, Phelps, Lincoln, Dawson, Harlan, Furnas, Gosper, and also Frontier County.
They offer short term housing to homeless families, provided that they are trying to get back on their feet. Counseling, job search assistance, support groups, and budgeting classes are all offered as well.

Restored Hope
Address: 2316 Howard Street
Omaha, Nebraska 68102
(402) 345-7306

Salvation Army
They have several corp centers in the state and provide various housing and other social services. A couple offices are listed below. Case management, assistance in obtaining permanent housing, information and referrals to community resources, meals, and more is available. Some emergency rent help may be available when facing an eviction.

  • 818 West 3rd Street, Grand Island, NE 68801, (308) 382-4855 is a location for Hall County.
  • 3612 Cuming Street, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, dial (402) 898-5980 for information.

Southeast Nebraska Community Action
Vouchers for shelter and low income, transitional housing are available. Also get assistance in finding education/training or employment, clothing, and other aid. Find more details on housing programs from Southeast Nebraska Community Action.

  • Cass County, Location is 702 Main Street, Plattsmouth, Nebraska 68048. Dial (402) 296-4477 for intake.
  • Johnson County, 172 South 4th Street, Tecumseh, NE 68450, telephone (402) 335-2134
  • Nemaha County, 1908 O Street, Auburn, NE 68305, (402) 274-4666
  • Otoe County, 917 Wildwood, Suite C, Nebraska City, NE 68410, call (402) 873-6459
  • Pawnee County office is at 549 F Street, Pawnee City, Nebraska 68420. Call (402) 852-2208
  • Richardson County, 1700 Stone Street, Room 103, Falls City, NE 68355, call (402) 245-5284
  • Cass, Johnson, Nemaha, Otoe, Pawnee, Richardson County is located at 802 Fourth Street, Humboldt, Nebraska 68376, call (402) 862-2411







The Connection Homeless Shelter, Inc.
Main location is 414 East 6th Street
North Platte, Nebraska 69101
Telephone - (308) 532-5050
Offers transitional housing apartments for families as well as shelters for single men, women, and others.

Transitional Living Program
Located at 1412 2nd Avenue, #3
Scottsbluff, NE 69361
(308) 632-8811
Assistance is for the homeless and near homeless. They also administer HUD-funded homes, apartments, and transitional living units. Work with staff on locating Permanent Housing, which serves both single youth as well as pregnant and parenting individuals.

Transitional Housing/Shelter of Pottawattamie County
208 South 25th Street, #1
Council Bluffs, IA 51501
Phone - (712) 329-8900
Case management is provided for goal development for clients of the transitional housing programs. Other services include budgeting, free legal services, nutrition, food, and even free health care is available.


By Jon McNamara


Additional Local Programs












Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site