Nebraska eviction prevention and homeless assistance.

The Continuum of Care and HHS in Nebraska coordinate several homeless prevention services in the state. The funding for these resources listed below, and by county, comes from the Emergency Solution Grant program, and the funds help stop evictions as well as rehouse the homeless in the state of Nebraska.

Any type of eviction prevention is only offered when there is a crisis that the tenant is facing. These are not long term entitlements that benefit residents over an indefinite period of time. When qualified, there may be emergency help to pay rent or a mortgage payment. But that is not all that the Continuum of Care affiliated agencies may pay.

Other housing costs that can be paid as part of these homeless assistance programs include utility bills, security deposits, costs involved in housing search or placement, and credit repair services for the homeless. In some cases, ESG grants can be used to pay an attorney that offers eviction help, and the money will go towards landlord-tenant mediation or other tenant legal services.

The homeless in Nebraska can get help as well. To apply, they need to meet the requirements of the Stewart B. McKinney Homeless Assistance Act of 1987, Title IV. This means applicants need to lack a regular/safe nighttime residence; be families with children who do not otherwise qualify as homeless; women fleeing domestic violence; was formerly evicted; or be a youth under the age of 25. Income limits of course also apply.

The programs available in these cases combine temporary, affordable transitional housing with case management. The state of Nebraska, using Health and Human Services funds, may loan the client money as well for initial moving costs for a new home. HHS may help the resident, who was homeless and/or is living in poverty, pay for security or utility deposits along with storage fees and application costs. Some form of up front money may be offered by the government.

Homeless and eviction prevention programs may also combine all three Nebraska agencies. The Department of Health and Human Services, HUD and their emergency solution grants, and the Continuum of Care all work together to help low income tenants who lack the money or family support network that is required to stop an eviction. They offer various forms of help, as follows.





While of course there may be grants issued to help with rent, the eviction is often caused by many other factors. These means the solution must tackle all of them. As but one example, there are often disputes that occur. This is where the Omaha based free Legal Aid of Nebraska may have an attorney on staff that can provide free advice.

Much more is also provided to families threatened with an eviction. The client can be enrolled into employment assistance and job training as well as other case management. State of Nebraska child care vouchers can be given to renters with children or single moms, and thereby freeing up their pay to pay for housing needs.

In some cases, people with a medical conditions or mental illness also need to enroll into an eviction prevention service. When those issues are causing a hardship, the social worker at Department of HHS will arrange for care.

All assistance is provided in Nebraska, whether it is short term housing or grants for paying rent or bills to stop the eviction, is done with with the goal of keeping people safe and housed. This will require much effort from the applicant too. They need to take aggressive steps to stabilize their life as well.

Regional homeless prevention resources in Nebraska

Most of the eviction and rehousing programs are run by a few regional agencies. Or call the state HHS for applications to grants for certain expenses, such as deposits or rent. The main sources of help are as follows.

Community Action of Mid - Nebraska
16 West 11th Street
Kearney, Nebraska 68847-7440
Phone: (308) 865-5675
Southwest Nebraska, including Arthur, Chase, Dundy, Franklin, Furnas, Grant, Hooker, Thomas, McPherson, Logan, Keith, Lincoln, Perkins, Dawson, Buffalo, Hayes, Frontier, Gosper, Phelps, Kearney, Hitchcock, Redwillow, and Harlan counties.




Central Nebraska Community Services
Loup City, NE 68853
(308) 745-0780
North Central part of Nebraska. Boone, Cherry, Colfax, Keya Paha, Boyd, Brown, Rock, Hall, Holt, Blaine, Loup, Garfield, Hamilton, Wheeler, Custer, Valley, Greeley, Sherman Howard,, Platte, Nance, and Merrick county.

Northeast Nebraska Community Action Partnership, Inc.(NENCAP)
Address - 603 Earl Street
Pender, Nebraska 68047
(402) 727-0608
Northeast – Burt, Cedar, Dodge, Douglas, Knox, Dakota, Dixon, Antelope, Pierce, Wayne, Madison, Stanton, Thurston, Cuming, and Washington and county.
The Omaha region is also supported. Tenants and the homeless can seek eviction or rehousing assistance along with grants, rental deposit assistance, or motel vouchers. Find more on Douglas County and Omaha.

Community Action of Middle of Nebraska
16 West 11th Street
Kearney, NE  68847-7440
(308) 865-5675
Southeast Nebraska – Adams, Butler, Clay, Gage, Fillmore, Polk, Saunders, York, Seward, Lancaster, Cass, Otoe, Saline, Webster, Nuckolls, Thayer, Jefferson, Hohnson, Nemaha, Pawnee and Richardson counties.





Cirrus House
1509 1st Ave, Scottsbluff, NE 69361
Phone number for information is (308) 635-1488
Panhandle region – Banner, Box Butte, Deuel, Sioux, Dawes, Sheridan, Scotts Bluff, Morrill, Garden, Kimball, Cheyenne and counties.

HHS operates statewide. Emergency eviction help, clothing, moving costs, shelter and more may be arranged by Economic Assistance Division. Dial (800) 383-4278, or in Omaha call (402) 595-1258 or Lincoln families can dial (402) 323-3900.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy