latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rental assistance Monroe and Lawrence County IN.

Find where to get help with rent in the Monroe and Lawrence County Indiana area, including Bloomington. There is assistance from charities, churches and the government for people in a crisis. Temporary rent assistance will be available along with free tenants for lawyers, moving cost help and more. A focus is on families with kids, seniors and the disabled. Locate rent help near you in Monroe and Lawrence County.

Any funds paid out are limited and are only for eligible families. This includes immediate money for a security deposit or even low-income, no wait apartments. Since there are a number of requests for emergency rent help, and resources are so limited, the agencies will normally give priority to households with children or single moms or dads. Some Bloomington IN area housing programs also support the disabled. Look here for more information on housing resources for people with a disability.

The best way to prevent homelessness is through employment and living in an affordable home or apartment. Due to this, the non-profits in Monroe County will address address those issues too. They will require case management before issuing any grants or money for paying rent.

In some cases, a family may find the best course of action is to move. For those clients, there may be financial help for the paying security deposit on the new home, a free motel voucher or first months rent on an apartment in the Bloomington Indiana region. If none of this can be done, then referrals are given.

Organizations that help pay rent in Bloomington, Monroe and Lawrence County Indiana

Monroe County United Ministries
Address is 827 West 14th Court, Bloomington, Indiana 47404. Main phone - (812) 339-3429
They only support Monroe County families that are facing an emergency they did not cause from say lack of budgeting. There may be funds for energy bills, rent, mortgages, or a security deposit.

Saint Vincent De Paul Society Of Bloomington
Address: is 1999 N Packing House Rd, Bloomington, IN 47404. Call (812) 961-1510
The rent help is provided by a partnership of churches. Other aid may be temporary housing, heating fuel to tenants, or utility connection or rental deposits.




  • There are other SVDP programs too for low-income tenants, housing, even free furniture for a home. Lawrence County Society Of Saint Vincent De Paul is an option. Call the faith based group. The address is 1723 I Street, Bedford, IN 47421. Phone - 812-279-8555.

SCCAP-South Central Community Action Program
The non-profit is at 1500 15th St, Bloomington, IN 47404. Main phone - (812) 339-3447
Emergency ESG grant applications to help pay housing costs, including rent, motel rooms, or a security deposit are offered. Other aid is offered too, including home buying and more. They also help the low-income find affordable homes to move in with no wait list.

Shalom Community Center
Address: 620 South Walnut Street, Bloomington, Indiana 47401. Main phone - (812) 334-5728
Small dollar amount (such as $50) may be for housing costs, such as rent or utilities. They also offer referrals to loan and government grant programs.

Salvation Army Center in Bloomington
111 North Rogers Street, Bloomington, IN 47404. Dial (812) 336-4310 for applications.
Very limited financial aid is for rent or other housing needs. Or get placement into transitional, temporary housing or a shelter. They also offer referrals to other local charities. Locate rent assistance Bloomington IN Salvation Army.

Lawrence Interfaith Endeavor (LIFE)
Address is 1204 I Street, Bedford, IN 47421. Call (812) 279-4442
There are a couple offices in Lawrence County. If denied from a township trustee, then the charity may offer help for rent or a mortgage payment. A focus is on working poor families with children, or single parents, that have a plan in place to pay future rent on their own.

Ireland Home Based Services
Location is 100 N Curry Pk. #2, Bloomington, IN or 3231 N Green River Rd, Evansville, IN 47715. Call (812) 479-1856
Any rent money is only for families (or single moms or dads) with kids under the age of 18. They can also help expectant women, including teens.





Churches and faith based groups
There are several, and they only help people in the immediate area/parish. Small dollar amounts of money will help with rent or utilities. Or get free stuff for a home. Any funds are limited and only for people close to homelessness.

  • Shalom Community Center is at  620 S Walnut St, Bloomington, IN 47401. Phone: (812) 334-5728
  • Trinity Episcopal Church - 111 S Grant St, Bloomington, IN 47408. For information, dial (812) 336-4466
  • Emmanuel Church is an Evangelical church for families in Monroe County. The parish is at 1503 W That Rd, Bloomington, IN 47403. Dial (812) 824-2768

Blooming Housing Authority
1007 N Summitt St, Bloomington, IN 47404. Phone: (812) 339-3491
Very low income families can apply for everything from section 8 to public housing.

Bloomington Legal Services
Layers offer free advice for both counties. The address is 214 S College Ave, Bloomington, IN 47404. Call (812) 339-7668.
They can offer tips on stopping an eviction and information on what a tenants responsibilities are to delinquent rent. Free lawyers help low-income tenants in Lawrence and Monroe County stop evictions or offer land-lord tenant mediation.

Bloomington IN and Monroe County Housing and Eviction Prevention Project
Call (812) 340-8189
the government provides free information to struggling tenants, including the unemployed. Get free legal advice, information on hardship grants to help pay back rent, social services and more.

Township Trustee
Each municipality in the region will offer this service. They help with basic needs. This can include housing or rental expenses. Grants may also pay for transportation or household goods, such as beds or cribs for a new home


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page