Housing programs from partners of the Miami Services for the Homeless.
There are several agencies in Miami that are involved in helping the homeless. These locations may offer direct financial aid if needed and if funding allows, referrals, or advocacy. They are focused on preventing evictions and homelessness, rehousing individuals, and ensuring that the housing crisis in south Florida is addressed. They also provide free food and meals in partnership with churches. A number of programs, including emergency rent or other assistance, may be offered as well.
Much of the funding for housing is offered as part of HUD and the emergency solutions grant. This is an annual allotment, and the money can go to a number of non-profits in the Miami-Dade County region. The groups that are part of the service organizations for the homeless will often have information on this, referrals, and other support. Some of what is available as part of ESG may include the following.
- Rehousing – This will be either short term shelter or transitional housing. In some cases, government funds can be used for paying a security deposit on first month’s rent on a new, approved apartment.
- Intervention, or case management – This will ensure clients have access to employment and education, health care, programming, and other support. There are various Florida and federal government safety new programs offered too.
- Eviction and Homeless Prevention – Non-profits will run programs that work collaboratively towards preventing homelessness. This may be affordable rental housing for low income individuals and families, grants as a form of rental assistance, or short term loans.
There is also support for the youth in Miami. Some agencies run the Homelessness Initiative for the younger population. This will offer them life skills, education, low income housing, health care, and other proactive means to work toward ending and preventing homelessness. Starting early can hopefully break the cycle of poverty and homelessness.
Seniors as well as others that are most at risk are a focus. The services available from the agencies will work with the elderly on keeping them housed and provide rent or transitional housing for single parents, as resources allow. As noted, most of this is available in the Miami Florida region the form of referrals.
Some of the key agencies that focus on homeless prevention and emergency aid include the following.
- HAND can assist with relocation needs, provide help for rent, security deposits, and/or legal support. Aid is for the homeless or low income in Miami. 305-231-7667
- Local Community Action Agency- Supports qualified Dade County tenants. There may be funds or grants for rental assistance or paying for moving expenses. 305-623-6500
- Another charity is the Camillus House. They may have loans, direct financial and other forms of support. 305-374-1065
To this end, the non-profit organizations partner with agencies, food pantries, community organizations, and faith based groups. They also have applications to food stamps. This is available throughout Miami-Dade County, and is often combined with the rent and deposit programs. Some of the sites for meals in the region are as follows.
- Mt. Tabor Baptist Church, 1701 NW 66nd St. Miami, Florida 33147
- First United Methodist Church of Miami, 400 Biscayne Blvd. Miami, Fl 33132
- Macedonia Community Outreach Mission, 3515 SW 37th Ave. Miami, FL 33133
- St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, 2750 McFarlane Rd. Coconut Grove, FL 33133
- Coconut Grove Seventh-day Adventist Church, 3288 Charles Ave. Coconut Grove, Florida 33133
- Miami Rescue Mission also offers housing and other support. 2020 NW 1st Ave, Miami, Fl 33127
- Mother Theresa's Sisters of Charity, 724 NW 17th St. Miami, Florida 33136
- University Baptist Church, 624 Anastasia Ave. Coral Gables 33134
- Gospel Tabernacle Faith Deliverance Church, 3301 NW 189th St. Miami Gardens 33056
- Mt Zion Baptist Church, 301 NW 9th St. Miami, FL 33136
- Mt Pisgah Seventh-day Adventist Church, 3350 NW 215th St. Miami Gardens
- St. Hugh Catholic Church, 3460 Royal Rd. Miami, Florida 33133
For more information on these housing or food programs, call one of the churches or housing programs indicated above. As there are many services available for homeless people as well as individuals that are near it.