Access rent and security deposit help in Miami-Dade area.

Churches, charities, and government organizations in the Miami area provide emergency rental assistance to needy tenants. There are funds for senior citizens, immigrants, Cuban or Spanish speakers and others. Find more information on how to get funds to pay back rent, up front security deposits, moving costs or other housing bills.

Federal government grants as well as the United Way often fund the rent and utility bill assistance programs in Dade County. Applicants may be given loans or cash grants for their bills. Or some people are referred to long term rent subsidies, such as HUD section 8 vouchers or affordable or maybe housing units.

One of the leading programs to turn to for help paying rent in the Miami area is the Emergency Food and Shelter Assistance (EFSA) program. This service was created to help people who are faced with some sort of emergency or crisis situation. This program can assist local families and individuals who are in need of short term financial aid with issues including rent, housing expenses (like utilities) and even a mortgage payment.

Shelter can also be offered through EFSA for those people who are currently homeless, however the intent of the rent help provided is to keep people from being evicted in the first place. There are several non-profits in the Dade County area that are involved in this program.

The places to call for more information or to apply include Liberty City Community Service Center (dial (305) 756-2830), Accion Community Service Center  (305) 547-4892, Opa Locka (305) 623-6500, Edison center downtown (305) 758-9662 and Isaac A. Withers Community Service Center (305) 233-2121. In some cases, these agencies may offer a zero interest loan to pay the rent for otherwise qualified individuals. A site is at 1600 NW 3rd Avenue, Miami, FL 33136, (305) 438-4161.





Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is run by various local non-profit organizations, and was formed in partnership and from a contract with the Miami-Dade Public Housing Agency. They also provide funds for the government run section 8 housing program. Call (305) 416-2080.

Braive Emergency Assistance Program (EAP) (305) 644-1200. Rent help is offered for OEF/OIF service members, veterans, military member and families who face financial hardships, a short term crisis, unanticipated and emergency needs.

Miami Department of Community Development ((305) 4161978) as well as the Miami Dade County Homeless Trust (305) 375-1490 both administer the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP), which was created from stimulus funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. Components of this program include housing/rent help, security deposits, counseling, and even funds for paying energy bills.





New Life and Homeless Prevention services works with agencies on stopping evictions and assisting the homeless in the county. They coordinate resources in the region and can sometimes provide referrals to rental assistance programs. So the coalition may have information on free legal aid, low income housing, transitional living centers or one time financial assistance.

Most of the aid is from partnerships in the community. There may be information on places to turn for emergency rent assistance, loans for housing needs or paying security deposits. The non-profit also works closely with state of Florida, federal agencies, and government organizations to receive funding and maximize resources in the community. (305-573-3333)

Section 8 housing vouchers and counseling from Public Housing Agencies in Miami are also available to qualified low income, working poor, and possibly unemployed residents. The Miami Dade County PHA can be reached at (786)469-4106, City of Miami (305)416-2080, Carrfour Supportive Housing (phone 305-371-8300) and also try calling the section 8 agency on Miami Beach at (305)532-6401. All of these locations can provide section 8 vouchers and information on other rental programs in the region. Read more on HUD section 8 in Florida.

Another option that is offered across Florida, and is available for Miami Dade County as well, is the Emergency Financial Assistance for Housing Program (EFAHP). The size of the program is fairly limited, and funds are provided on a first-come-first-served basis to the earliest applicants and people who are in need of help paying rent. In addition, a small amount of money is typically made available to help with back rent expenses or, in certain cases, security deposits.

There are of course some conditions that need to be met, including the applicant needs to have a limited income. In addition, they must also have one child under 18 years of age living in the household full-time. Call 1-877-891-6445 to learn more about the Florida EFAHP program.

Catholic Charities of Dade County
There are several churches in the region. Rent help, furniture (such as beds, tables, etc.), storage fees, food and more is provided. Some also have homeless shelters or give emergency rental assistance to migrants, women fleeing violence, and others. Continue with rent assistance from Dade County Catholic Charities.

Legal Services of Miami may be able to work on tenant issues, including eviction prevention services or suggestions on rental programs. For the low income that qualify, the resources and advice is provided to them at no cost from clinics and other centers. (305) 576-0080.




Senior Rental Assistance program is run by the city. Up to $100 can be offered to low income elderly, retirees, and senior citizens. The funds are used for rent payments on homes, assisted living, or apartments. The city office can be called at (305) 416-2080. Or the main office is 14 NE 1st Avenue, Miami, FL 33126.

Douglas Gardens CMHC has several housing and rent assistance programs. There is shelter for domestic violence survivors, the ACCESS program to pay for moving costs or security deposits, permanent housing for the disabled (physical or mental) and more. Each rental assistance program is focused. Address is 1680 Meridian Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139. Phone number is (305) 531-5341.

Homeless Hotline - A free service provides information to both tenants facing an eviction and the currently homeless. Callers can learn about grant programs for paying rent or energy bills, sources of motel vouchers, resources for single mothers, and other places to try for emergency rental assistance. More on Miami-Dade County eviction and rehousing assistance.

HAND - Housing Assistance Network of Dade will only offer support to low income families with an eviction notice. Any aid is first come and served, and the funds for rent are temporary. In some cases, if the family is in an un-affordable apartment, then money may be used for a security deposit or first months rent as well as moving costs. There are multiple locations in Dade County. Phone - (305) 231-7667.

  • Or try the center 3750 South Dixie Highway, Miami, FL 33133, (305) 446-3311.
  • HAND is also for rent help for tenants/landlords at 1600 NW 6th Court, Florida City, FL 33034, phone (305) 247-2068
  • The Perrine Center is at 17801 Homestead Avenue, Miami, FloridaL 33157. For applications or information, dial (305) 254-5804

Operation Sacred Trust helps veterans in Miami-Dade County with their housing. There is financial help for very low-income Veteran families' with rent, utilities, motel room or other bills for housing stability. Address is 1400 NW 54th Street, Miami, FL 33142. Phone (855) 778-3411

COFFO  is an agency based in Homestead. Emergency rent help is for tenants facing eviction/homelessness. There may also be grants for utility bills if this were to create a housing challenge. Dial (305) 246-0357 for details.





Housing Authority of Miami Beach (phone - (305) 532-6401) not only runs section 8 HUD grant program, but they offer assistance with rent to seniors, the disabled, or families with children in the immediate area.

Camillus House of Miami will provide help with rent to otherwise self-sufficiency families that are in a crisis. The applicant needs to be out of resources, be able to sustain future rent and housing costs, and not have been chronically homeless. Telephone number is (305) 374-1065.

By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.





Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy