latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Shelby County and Memphis rent and housing assistance.

Rental assistance programs are available across the Memphis Tennessee area. Several different non-profit organizations, churches and government agencies focus on providing the low income with solutions to their housing crisis and directing individuals to or and services that can provide them with financial assistance for paying rent or security deposits.

Get information on the various housing as well as rent assistance programs in Memphis and the greater Shelby County, including section 8 HUD subsidized rent and free legal aid to stop evictions. Many of the resources do have waiting lists as the demand is great. Funding is also limited, so unfortunately not everyone who applies will be able to receive grants or funds to help them pay their rent. However at the very least people can get advice, counseling, and maybe even information on other local charities or government programs that may be additional options for low income housing assistance or that even give out affordable loans.

Community Service Agency (CSA) of Memphis and Shelby County may be able to provide emergency financial assistance with paying for utilities, rent, housing, and mortgage payments. The non-profit can also be a source of referrals to emergency loans as well as eviction prevention advice. Dial 901.278.3893

Memphis/Shelby County Emergency Housing Partnership - This non-profit agency can offer short-term Rental Assistance and also Housing Case Management. Tenants can work with a counselor to look into short-term rental assistance (up to three months worth of payments), low income housing options, housing case management, and general information and supportive services.

The assistance rent is targeted at those families who are homeless or imminently homeless, and the applicant needs to have children as well. This can include single parents. Some of the criteria include the applicant needs to have been employed or able to contribute some funds to rent, have been a resident of Shelby County Tennessee and a few other criteria. To learn more or apply for help, call 901-260-4663.

TN Department of Human Services – Families First Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF). This is the government run program that can provide short term, temporary monthly cash government benefits to low-income and working poor families with children. To apply for cash assistance, call the North Branch Office - Family Assistance (3230 Jackson Ave. Call 901-320-7200) or call the Welles Branch Office - Family Assistance (3360 South Third Street Memphis, TN Call 901-344-5040)




Get information and referrals from SEEDCO - EarnBenefits. This agency can provides information and details on financial assistance to low-wage working people. Get information and advice in applying for various government (both Tennessee and federal) and private benefits programs. A total of four offices are located around the region. Call the Memphis location at Call 901-255-2955.

Memphis Housing Authority runs the Shelby County and city Housing Choice Voucher Program. This non-profit agency will provide applications for the federally funded Section 8 Housing Certificates. The demand for this program is high and there is often a waiting list. Funds can be used and the agency can arrange rent supplement agreements with local landlords. 700 Adams Ave, Memphis, TN 38105, (901) 544-1100.

AIDS Virus Awareness (AVA), located on 293 Mitchelll Road, Memphis, Tennessee provides emergency financial assistance to persons or low income individuals with HIV/AIDS. Get rent help, food, money for utilities, and lodging. Phone 901.789.7123.

Memphis Division of Housing and Community Development, call (901) 576-7313, offers security deposits and rent help from 3- to 18 months through the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program.

Whitehaven Southwest Mental Health Center - May have limited amounts of financial assistance for paying housing, rent expenses, deposits, and utilities. Address: 1087 Alice Ave., Memphis, TN 38106. Phone number 901.259.1920.

Non-profit referral line - Tenants can get information on shelter and referrals to financial aid, such as government grants for security deposits, public housing, and funds for paying back rent. The aid is limited with a focus on the less fortunate, such as senior citizens, and rent help is focused on those with pay or quit notices. Phone - (901) 415-2790.







Metropolitan Inter-Faith Association (MIFA) can offer help to people who have a referral from social worker or a case manager. The church can provide rent/mortgage/utility assistance, free food vouchers for a five day supply of nonperishable food to be redeemed at a local food bank or pantry, and even medical needs. Address of the church is  910 Vance Ave. Memphis, TN 38126. Telephone 527-0226.

Main Street Baptist Church offers emergency help (every 90 days) to residents of 37769 zip code. This may be rent help, free furniture for a home or apartment, or deposit assistance. They are at 214 4th St., Lake City, TN 37769. When in a crisis and need housing assistance or financial aid, dial (865) 426-2184

Social Services from the Salvation Army centers in Shelby County may help. Programs vary, but may include homeless shelters, emergency funds for back rent or utility bills (to stop homelessness), case management, and referrals. There are a few locations, and more on Salvation Army assistance in Memphis region.

Friends For Life runs the HOWPA program. it only assists individuals (or families) impacted with HIV or AIDS in Shelby County. Mortgage, grants for rent, medical, or short term apartments may be offered from the non-profit at 43 N Cleveland St., Memphis, TN 38104. Phone - (901) 272-0855

Low income residents may be able to get emergency assistance from Shelby County CSA at most once every 2 years. All financial requests, including those for utility and rent assistance, are taken on Wednesday morning at 8:00 am. Get help with mortgages, rent, furniture, appliances, clothing, and other housing needs. The agency may also offer some families a non-interest loan for paying their bills or past due rental expenses. Phone: 901-222-4299.

Homeless assistance programs are used for both preventing an eviction as well as to help families find, and pay the rental and moving costs, for a new apartment in Memphis. Federal government grants allow this program to be offered by non-profits. The money can be used for issuing free motel vouchers, paying rent arrears, energy costs, deposits, and more. Find eviction help in Memphis.

Society of St Vincent DePaul - Memphis and Shelby County works with up to a dozen local churches across the county and in Memphis to provide needed financial assistance, including help with rent, for residents of Memphis. Cordova, (901) 722-4703.

Memphis Area Legal Services can provide eviction assistance to tenants that are behind on their rent. Attorneys provide free legal assistance and advise residents on their rights. Or the organization can ensure homes and apartments are safe to live in. The address is 22 North Front Street, Memphis, Tennessee 38103, or call (901) 523-8822.





Memphis Crisis Center - Volunteers may be able to refer callers, including those with a mental illness or disability, to programs that may assist them, including housing or rent, financial problems, and others. Phone 901-274-7477.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site