latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Job Training

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Community Health Centers

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website


Rental assistance Kalamazoo County.

Get rent payment help in Kalamazoo County Michigan. Financial assistance programs are offered by local government housing agencies, churches, and charities. Housing assistance from one of these organization will include money to pay for moving costs, back rent, utility or security deposits. Or find emergency grants to pay for rental arrears, Section 8 housing with no waiting lists in Kalamazoo and other free eviction prevention programs.

Services provided to Kalamazoo families include, but are not limited to, general housing information and counseling. Some Kalamazoo MI families can get free motel vouchers or access to homeless shelters, limited grants and funds for paying rent. There are also free attorneys to help tenants in eviction court. Resources are limited and not everyone will be able to receive help.

If one of the agencies can’t provide the needed financial assistance, they can often refer people to other options, including state of Michigan and federal government resources. This includes section 8 HUD vouchers, low income housing and rental programs. Anyone who is currently homeless may get help from shelters and transitional housing units in Kalamazoo as well, so these are other options available. Or look here for details on low-income housing with no waiting list for renters.

Find organizations that help with rent in Kalamazoo MI

Housing Resources, Inc. – Residents experiencing a housing emergency, such as an eviction notice from their landlord, may be able to qualify for help. Services offered to qualified individuals includes limited free grants for paying rent, general housing information and referrals, landlord/tenant mediation, and also shelter or transitional housing.

A wide variety of resources are available, with a focus on senior citizens, single moms, the disabled and working poor. They are one of the leading places for renters and homeowners to call for emergency rental assistance and housing solutions in Kalamazoo Michigan. Dial (269) 382-0287 or stop by 20 E Alcott St, Kalamazoo, MI 49001. Or read more on Housing Resources assistance programs in Kalamazoo.

Salvation Army is based at 1700 S Burdick St, Kalamazoo, MI 49001. A number of social service programs and financial assistance programs are offered. Services are for low income persons or families in financial crisis or hardship. Get access to emergency assistance for electric bills, case management, personal needs, and much more. Note, this particular Salvation Army will not normally have funds for rental assistance - it will be very limited Call : (269) 344-6119




Portage Community Center – Very limited funds for rent. Money may only be available in a critical situations. All assistance depends on availability. The non-profit is at 325 E. Centre, Portage, MI 49002, dial (269) 323-1942

Kalamazoo Gospel Mission - Has low income, yet safe and affordable housing units and programs for men, women, families with children, as well as couples with or without children. Another focus is on assisting single parents. Location is 448 N Burdick St, Kalamazoo, MI 49007, call (269) 345-2974.

Kalamazoo Community Action Agency – Partners with local charities and non-profits like the Salvation Army. There are also ESG or HUD grants for rental or housing costs. They partner with organizations to offer emergency financial assistance for housing, utilities, back rent and other needs. Tenants can also learn about home buying programs, get budgeting help and other long-term support. Address is 4239 S Westnedge Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49008. Call (269) 373-5066

Bethany Reformed Church – They only see people that have referrals from DHS or the Salvation Army. The applicant needs to have sought rental assistance from other local Kalamazoo County charities first, and this church is a last resort. Any money provided depends on funding and qualifications being met.

A focus is on housing needs. A fund they run offers financial assistance to low income individuals and families for emergency needs, such as rent, deposits, evictions, and heating expenses. The address is 1833 S Burdick St, Kalamazoo, MI 49001, or dial (269) 344-6151.

Christian Resource Center offers emergency housing assistance, including referrals to grant programs for rent and eviction prevention help. They also offer budgeting and other guidance to tenants, including information on loans. The location is 1833 S Burdick, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49001, call (269) 388-5054





Kalamazoo Community Mental Health And Substance Abuse Services - Access Center – Housing assistance, including shelter, transitional housing, and emergency funds for homeless prevention is distributed to mentally challenged individuals. Main office is at 418 West Kalamazoo Avenue, Kalamazoo, Mi 49007, call (269) 373-6000

  • Or try Integrated services of Kalamazoo. The location is 1207 Oakland Drive, Kalamazoo, MI, 49008. Phone (269) 364-6945

Michigan Department Of Human Services – Kalamazoo branch. The state offers several emergency housing programs. Apply for everything from funds and grants to pay rent, up through and including assistance for bills, medications, and more. Address is 2030 Portage Street, Kalamazoo, MI 49001, call (269) 337-4900

Volunteers Of America Michigan (Kalamazoo brnach) only helps veterans and their families. The address is  420 E Alcott St, Kalamazoo, MI 49001. The HUD Supportive Services for Veterans Families (SSVF) programs help veterans who are homeless or close to it. Free government grant money for rent or a mortgage, applications to VA benefits, transportation, and other support is offered. Veterans can also get low-income transitional housing in the region. Call 248.945.0101.

Saint Vincent DePaul Society – If you have an eviction notice, there may be some emergency funds to help people pay their rent or housing costs. Free landlord/tenant mediation and case management may also be provided. Families with children may apply for rapid rehousing. Free furniture vouchers will be offered in a crisis to low-income tenants in Kalamazoo.

Resources offered include housing search assistance and support services, all of which are available and much more. Limited funds, such as for first months rent or storage costs, may be able to help rapidly re-house homeless families. Address is 513 Eleanor Street, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49007, call (269) 388-4544.

Legal Aid of Kalamazoo will help tenants with housing needs. The free lawyers are based at 201 W Kalamazoo Ave Ste 427, Kalamazoo, MI 49007. Pro-bono attorneys provide free advice on everything from landlord disputes on unpaid rent to eviction assistance. They also mediate disputes on other housing challenges. Seniors can get free legal services from an attorney too. Telephone number is (269) 344-8113.

Kalamazoo County DHS offers immediate grants from the State Emergency Relief Program, or SER. This will help pay housing costs, back rent, utilities and more. Applicants need to be low-income with few assets. The money can also help pay for mobile lot rent, moving and storage expenses and other homeless prevention programs. Call  (269) 337-4900, or the address is 427 East Alcott Street Kalamazoo, MI, 49001.

Steps to Victory is only for ex-prisoners. The location is 1914 March Street, Kalamazoo, MI, 49001. The non-profit works to stabilize them. Housing, free furniture, rent payment help, job programs and even security deposit assistance for formerly incarcerated. Call (269) 389-0515

First United Church is at 212 South Park Street, Kalamazoo, MI, 49007. The Helping our Neighbors programs combines donations from local charities or government agencies. Support is limited, and some clients are given loans instead. Find everything from emergency rental assistance to transitional housing, motel vouchers, and help for moving costs. Call (269) 743-2500.





South County Community Services – Call for case management, referrals, and more support, including funds for security deposits and rent. Address is 606 Spruce St, Vicksburg, MI 49097. Phone (269) 649-2901


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Additional Local Programs

Financial Help Near You

Rent Payment Assistance Near You

Free Food Near You

Utility Assistance Near You

Free Stuff Near You




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site