Salvation Army emergency assistance in Illinois.
Families that need emergency assistance in Illinois may be able to receive help from the Salvation Army. A summary of the programs administered and locations are listed below, and they include rent and utility bill assistance, free food programs, Christmas gifts or holiday assistance, shelter, school supplies, and employment services. The non-profit organization provides resources to help meet the needs of low income and working poor families across Illinois. Call your local Salvation Army center to apply for financial help or to receive referrals.
In addition to offering their own services, the Salvation Army will usually partner with churches, government offices, and non-profit agencies to bring the maximum amount of assistance to help meet the needs of families and individuals across the state of Illinois.
In addition, it is very important for people to gain self-sufficiency over the long term. Any type of financial assistance provided must go beyond just paying bills or rent for a week or month. Services need to help meet the immediate, tangible need of the low income and address their larger issues and challenges. This often involves the Salvation Army offering long-term solutions to Illinois families, such as credit counseling, education, debt reduction, information on job training, and more. They create innovative programs and services for individuals, children, seniors and families.
Financial help for paying bills and basic needs
While funding is always limited, some cash for providing rent assistance may be offered. This resource may be offered from some of the Illinois Salvation Army centers. However any funding is always limited. The only way to determine if your local Salvation Army office is able to provide emergency mortgage or rent assistance is to call your local office (that is listed below) directly for information. Many individuals may not qualify for assistance, however there may be referrals. Learn about other options to help pay rent in the state.
Food assistance – Free food, groceries, and hot meals are offered. Some programs also focus on feeding children or senior citizens. In addition, the low income can get information on and help applying for government food support benefits at many Salvation Army social service offices. For example many offices provide eligibility pre-screening and assistance in filling out application for government food stamp benefits.
Feeding programs are offered as well, which include hot meals that are distributed year-round for anyone in need of help, including seniors and children. This can also include lunches and meals during the evening too. Also most of the Salvation Army centers across Illinois have an onsite food pantry in which people can stop by and bring home free or low cost groceries or surplus food. An appointment may be needed to use the services of a food pantry.
If you need help paying heating or utility bills, some emergency programs are offered by the Illinois Salvation Army. They include options like HeatShare. This can offer financial assistance with paying for utility bills for households that have received a shut-off notice and most of the aid is paid out during the cold Illinois winter months. Most of the locations can also help people navigate many of the other federal government and state assistance programs, such as Illinois LIHEAP or weatherization.
Medical and prescription drug assistance is available on a very limited basis, as funding allows. This is mainly in the form of emergency financial assistance with paying for insurance co-pays. There may also be vouchers that can pay for a small portion of prescription medications, and this will normally be a generic drug.
Some of the Illinois Salvation Army services focus on the uninsured in the state. Some of the resources may be more income based though. If you need assistance with paying for your medical bills, call the social service office in Illinois near you.
If you need help getting to a job or medical appoint, then the Salvation Army of Illinois may be able to offer you transportation assistance in the form of free gasoline vouchers or bass passes/tokens. An appointment is needed in order to apply or receive this help.
Temporary, Permanent or transitional housing - Transitional housing provides short term shelter for people who need time to find permanent living arrangements and stabilize their lives. At various sites across Illinois the housing assistance programs provide temporary housing and support services. In addition, case managers will work with the client to find longer term solutions, including exploring emergency rent programs. Assistance is given in cases of eviction, domestic break-up, addiction crisis, or other types of housing crisis.
Salvation Army free seasonal services and counseling in Illinois
Thrift stores are also open at many sites. These stores sell household items and clothing at a low price. In some cases free items (like clothing) may be offered for income qualified people or those faced with an emergency. Vouchers are usually offered when someone qualifies for free items.
Career counseling and employment assistance may be offered at some centers. Case managers can refer you to local employment centers, or provide individuals with feedback and workshops. The goal is to help people find a job, develop some skills, or increase their income so that they can become self-sufficient over the long term.
Holiday assistance, school items and free seasonal services are provided by the Illinois Salvation Army according to specific needs. This can include Easter food baskets. As the season gets closer to the fall and winter, you may be able to get holiday gifts for children through Toy Shop and winter wear for children and teens through Coats for Kids. Food and meals can be offered for Thanksgiving and Christmas too. Many Salvation Army locations also giveaway school backpacks, bookbags, and other supplies for free.
Students in Illinois, from K to 12, can get free back to school supplies, clothes, and uniforms too. Parents need to apply. Based on need, everything from sneakers to backpacks, chrome books, notebooks, school uniforms, pants or dresses and more may be given out. Salvation Army will also tend to give students hygiene help such as haircuts or personal toiletries. Learn more on, and find free school supplies near you.
Locations of Salvation Army centers in Illinois
Most of the centers offer financial aid, low cost thrift or family stores, seasonal support and more. The major counties and towns are below, or find other locations near you further down.
525 Alby Street
Alton, Illinois 62002-0524
Dial 618-465-7764 for assistance, and this non-profit Salvation Army center covers Madison County.
20 Glory Pl.
Belleville, Illinois 62226-5806
A number of social services are offered, even a day care programs for latch key kids.
Safe Harbor location
212 N. Roosevelt, Bloomington, Illinois 61701
Phone number of Salvation Army - (309) 829-7399
Champaign, Illinois - 61820
Several resources are offered from the Champaign area centers.
Stepping Stone Shelter
119-123 E. University, Champaign
Telephone number of Salvation Army center is (217) 373-7830
Salvation Army branch address - 138 S. Walnut St.
Centralia, Illinois 62801-3423
Call - 618-532-5942
Chicago and Cook County
There are several centers in the county and the greater Chicago region. Dozens of social services and emergency financial assistance is paid out from the location.
Address - 229 W. Main, Decatur, Illinois 62523
Overnight shelter and transition housing may be offered.
East St. Louis Salvation Army location
616 N. 16th St.
East St. Louis, IL 62205-2512
Provides services to the Illinois side of St. Louis.
3007 E. 23rd St.
Granite City, IL 62040-5911
Location 31 W. Douglas Ave.
Jacksonville, IL 62650-2013
Emergency Family Service Center
148 N. Harrison, Kankakee, IL-60901
(815) 932-3919 (women’s) (815) 933-1603 (men’s)
A number of resources are offered as part of Family Services. This can include emergency final assistance for heating bills or rent, vouchers for medications or gasoline, and case management/employment resources.
Moline, IL 61265
Quad Cities Family Service Center
2200 5th Ave. (563) 324-4808
1300 Richmond Ave.
Mattoon, Illinois 61938-3037
Telephone number for assistance is 217-234-3915
Assistance for paying heating bills and free food is always in high demand at this location. They also offer the Angel Tree Christmas assistance programs, which may have free gifts for children and seniors.
Harold Rust Transitional Center
Office address is 243 Derby Street, Pekin Illinois 61554
Family Shelter (309) 655-7272
417 N.E. Adams/ Sylvia Fites Family Services Center
414 NE Jefferson St., Peoria, Illinois 61603
Quincy Center of Salvation Army
Address: 323 N. 5th St.
Quincy, IL 62301-2727
Phone 217-222-2087 for information. The location also supports western Illinois and all of Adams County..
Carpenter's Shop Shelter
530 N. 6th St., Springfield, IL-62702
Dial - (217) 391-0421
Additional Salvation Army social service centers in Illinois
- Aurora Corps Community Center, 437 E. Galena Blvd., Aurora, IL 60505-3484, Tel: 630-897-7265. This location supports a wide region of Kane, McHenry and other regions.
- Belvidere Corps Community Center, 422 S Main St, Belvidere, IL 61008, dial (815) 544-3892
- Bloomington, IL- 611 W. Washington (309)829-9476. A number of emergency services are available.
- Blue Island - Crossgenerations Corps Community Center, 2900 W. 127th Street (Burr Oak), Blue Island, IL 60406, Tel: 708-332-0100
- Canton, Illinois -176 S. First Ave. (309)647-0754
- Champaign, IL Salvation Army, 502 N. Prospect, phone (217)373-7832
- Chicago Harbor Light - 1515 W Monroe St., Chicago, Illinois 60607-2407, Tel: 312-421-5753
- Salvation Army at Cicero-Templo Laramie Corps Community Center
- Crystal Lake Corps Community Center, 200 W Crystal Lake Ave, Crystal Lake, IL 60014, telephone (815) 455-2769
- Danville, IL. Address is 855 E. Fairchild, phone (217)442-5911. The Corps Center can offer seasonal support such as free school supplies, referrals to security deposits or shelter/lodging, and more.
- Decatur, IL-229 W. Main, call (217)428-4672
- DeKalb Corps Community Center, 830 Grove Street, DeKalb, IL 60115-0442, Tel: 815-756-4308. For more information on social services, including vouchers for medications, youth programs, and more.
- Des Plaines Salvation Army Corps Community Center, 609 W Dempster St., Des Plaines, (847) 981-9111
- Dixon Illinois area, including Morrison. A few centers offer food, shelter, heating bill assistance and other aid.
- East Chicago Corps Community Center, 513 West Chicago Ave., East Chicago, IN 46312-3284, Tel: 219-398-2939
- Elgin Corps Community Center, 316 Douglas Ave, Elgin, Illinois 60120, (847) 741-2304
- Englewood Corps Community Center Red Shield Center, address is 945 W 69th St, Chicago, Illinois, (773) 358-32
- Evanston Corps Community Center, 1403 Sherman Ave., Evanston, IL 60201-4414, Tel: 847-866-9770
- Center in Freeport, IL-106 W. Exchange- phone (815)235-7639. If you live anywhere in Stephenson County, this will be the Salvation Army center to call for help.
- Galesburg, Illinois -510 N. Kellogg - call (309)342-9168 for help. Food, financial aid, shelter, and funds for heating bill may be offered. This center supports the counties of the region.
- Hammond-Munster Corps (Lake County)
- Hanover Park (Bridge Outpost), 1402 Arlington Drive, Hanover Park, Illinois 60133, Tel: 630-837-2100
- Irving Park Corps Community Center, 4056 N. Pulaski Road, Chicago, IL 60641-2411, Tel: 773-685-7676
- Jacksonville, Morgan County, and Carlinville Illinios is supported by a Salvation Army Center.
- Joliet Corps Community Center, 300 Third Avenue, Joliet, IL 60433-1985, Telephone 815-726-4834. Always call this center in advance. Funds are only offered for Nicor or American Water bills. A food pantry is also available for very limited hours. Several other centers are in the region as well. Find more details on programs in the area.
- Kankakee, Illinois -148 N. Harrison Ave.- dial (815)933-8421.
- LaVillita Corps Community Center, 621 W 24th St, Chicago, Illinois, 60623. Phone: 773-257-0700
- Lawn Corps Community Center, 5950 S. Spaulding Avenue, Chicago, IL 60629-3250, Tel: 773-434-0488
- Location at Macomb, Illinois -505 N. Randolph- dial (309)837-4824 for help applying for aid.
- Marion Illinois Salvation Army also provides coverage to the surrounding counties and towns.
- Mayfair Community Church Corps Community Center, 5020 N. Pulaski Road, Chicago, IL 60630-2788, Tel: 773-794-6210
- Midway Citadel Corps Community Center, 243 Derby St, Pekin, Illinois 61554, Phone:(309) 346-3010
- Midwest Corps Community Center, 20 S. Campbell Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612-2942, Tel: 312-733-4801 for social services
- Center at Moline, IL-2220 5th Avenue- (309)764-2811
- Norridge Citadel Corps Community Center, 8354 W Foster Ave, Norridge, (708) 456-6220
- Oakbrook Terrace Corps Community Center, 1 S. 415 Summit, Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181-3906, Tel: 630-629-3044. Free food, meals, shelter, and more is administered.
- Ottawa, Illinois - 516 W. Madison St. - (815) 433-0798. The center supports all of LaSalle County.
- Salvation Army office at Pekin, IL-243 Derby St.- telephone (309)346-3010
- Peoria, IL-2903 W. Nebraska- main number is (309)682-8886. Low income families and seniors may receive rental or utility help. Other resources include clothing, holiday meals, and more.
- Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in Chicago, 11357 S. Halsted, Chicago, IL 60628, Phone: (773) 995-0151
- Rock Island County Family Thrift Store and social services are part of the Quad City.
- Location at Rockford Tabernacle Corps Community Center, 220 S Madison St, Rockford, call (815) 969-7408
- Rockford Temple Corps Community Center, 500 S. Rockford Avenue, Rockford, Illinois 61104-1677, call 815-226-4400. Several towns and counties, such as Winnebago, are also supported by this Corp Center.
- Social services at Springfield, IL -530 N. Sixth Street - call (217) 525-2196. This center supports both Sangamon County, and also learn about locations in Decatur.
- St. Charles (Tri-City) Corps Community Center, 1710 S 7th Ave, St Charles, Illinois 60174, (630) 377-2769
- Sterling/Rock Falls, IL-409 Avenue F- (815)625-1622
- Temple Corps Community Center, 1 N. Ogden Blvd., Chicago, Illinois 60607-1815, phone number 312-492-6803
- Waukegan Corps Community Center, 850 S. Green Bay Rd., Waukegan, IL 60085-6250, Telephone - 847-336-1880. The location offers grants for certain bills, vouchers, and other support.
- Yorkville Salvation Army. There are a few centers in Kendall County and other nearby towns..