latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Job Training

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Community Health Centers

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Rent assistance in Harris County and Houston.

Find charities and government agencies that provide emergency rental assistance, free legal aid to tenants, security deposit help and housing resources. Low-income families will get financial assistance from agencies in Harris County and Houston Texas. There are places that offer grants or loans to help with rent, section 8 vouchers, free motel vouchers, no-wait list homes or security deposit assistance. Locate rent assistance programs near you in Harris County TX.

Each non-profit or government organization may offer their own services. They are all focused on offering stopping evictions and homelessness. There are funds for rent payments, eviction prevention services, and money to pay housing costs. Or they can help with paying a security deposit or places families into an affordable apartment, including private landlord housing for tenants with bad credit.

There will be an application process in place (with applications in Spanish too) and conditions need to be met, including attending case management. However in some cases emergency financial assistance may be offered in the greater Houston region for certain rental or housing costs. Of particular focus is on those that are at risk, such as seniors, the disabled, or families with young children. Other priority is on assisting those in Harris County that have an eviction notice.

The non-profits or charities that offer resources want to ensure that the underlying cause is dealt with before rent, deposit or low income housing is provided. As those stability services all work to reduce long term homelessness in Harris County.

Places that help with rent in Houston TX area

Harris County Community Services is a non-profit, government affiliated agency that offers rent assistance as a last resort to qualified residents. Get help applying for, in Spanish as well, short term cash assistance, financial aid, and rental assistance. Any help with rent may be combined with job programs, budgeting, counseling, food and more.

A focus is on case management and long term care. The agency also provides emergency help to tenants to help stop an eviction and currently homeless individuals or families in Harris County. Case management, housing placement, rent help and more is offered. There is also a tenant eviction diversion program, which involves free landlord-tenant mediation and discussion of rent payment plans.




The non-profit may also receive funds or grants directly from the federal government. Other resources available in Harris County include repairs, emergency financial aid for utilities, and referrals to other local rental assistance. Community Services also has partnerships with other providers as well, such as homeless shelters, low income apartments, sources of no interest loans, and other agencies that are focused on rent and housing needs.

  • The Houston office is at (713) 696-7900 or (832) 927-4955, and there are offices in Humble Texas and other areas of Harris County.
  • The unemployed, families in poverty and low income can stop by 9418 Jensen Drive, Houston, TX 77093.
  • The Houston and Harris County Eviction Diversion Program is run from 8410 Lantern Point Dr, Houston, Texas 77054. Phone (855) 270-7655

Gulf Coast Community Services Association
Main address is 9320 Kirby Drive, Houston, TX 77054. Telephone 713-393-4700
The agency is a local, non-profit community action agency for Harris County, and they may have some free government grant money for rent as well as case management. Counseling is offered, including landlord and tenant mediation. The goal is to help those facing an eviction, or maybe even a foreclosure. Get help with relocation and resolving disputes over security deposits or delinquent rent.

The Community Block Grant Program funds this non-profit. Human services, eviction prevention, and other one-time rental programs are administered.  While resources are limited, the non-profit may sometimes issue a loan for housing expenses, such as rent or a deposit. Main phone - (713) 393-4700.

Harris County Area Agency on Aging can help senior citizens or the elderly over the age of 60. These services may include case management, help in locating housing, including low income apartments for seniors. Also access other social services. The Houston agency can be called at (713) 794-9001.

Gulf Coast Legal Foundation of Houston Texas can provide low cost, or in some cases, free legal aid for housing issues. This will include eviction prevention, landlord/tenant mediation, and help with addressing housing discrimination. Only civil matters are addressed. Call (713) 652-5911 for information.





Catholic Charities of Harris County operates an emergency service programs from multiple sites. Get free furniture, money for a security deposits, rental arrears help, case management, and more. They help immigrants find housing, provide referrals to section 8 HUD vouchers, and help families in poverty. More on Catholic Charities housing assistance Harris County.

  • Guadalupe Center address is 326 South Jensen Drive, Houston, TX 77003. Telephone - (713) 526-4611. They also focus on veteran housing issues.
  • A church is 2900 Louisiana St, Houston, TX 77006. Call (713) 526-4611
  • 2900 Louisiana St, Houston, Texas 77006. Call (713) 351-6915

Southeast Are Ministries offers everything from free counseling to housing items, appliances, and rent help. Applications are in Spanish and languages other than English too. The non-profit is at 2102 Houston Blvd, South Houston, TX 77587. Or for details and to apply for financial aid, call (713) 944-0093.

MANNA Ministry Assistance of the Near Northwest Alliance has limited resources. When funding allows, money may help pay back rent or utilities. Or they sell household items, and the money raised is then given to low income, elderly, and vulnerable families for their bills, including rent or electric to stop homeless. The charity is at 5706 W. Little York, Houston, TX 77091. Phone (713) 682-7556.

Wesley Community Center assists the homeless and people on the verge of evictions or foreclosures in Harris County. There are applications to the government sponsored Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program. Free grants, legal aid, transitional housing and more is offered. Call (713)223-8131 if you are at risk of homelessness. Or the main address is 1410 Lee Street, Houston, Texas 77009.

Veterans and their families can apply for housing resources, free government grant money to pay rent immediately, VA benefit programs, cash aid, medical and more. The SSVF veteran housing program for rent, deposits, storage, and even mortgages or home buying is offered.

  • Harris County Veteran Services Department may also help with electric bills (as well as rent or provide shelter). Address is 2929 McKinney St, Houston, Texas 77003. Dial (281) 876-6600
  • Houston Area Urban League (HAUL), Location is 1301 Texas Ave, Houston, TX 77002. Phone (281) 220-6013.




Bering Omega Community Services - Avenue 360 runs the HOPWA program, which is for Harris County residents with HIV or AIDs only. Get free government grants from Tenant-based Rental Assistance (TBRA), medical care, placement into income subsidized homes and other social services. Call (713) 426-0027 or (713) 341-3750 for intake. The location is 1429 Hawthorne Street, Houston, TX 77006.

Cypress Assistance Ministries only offers financial assistance for people in Houston, Cypress, Waller and Hockley of Harris County. Call (281) 955-7684. Qualified low income, working poor, immigrant families can get loans, rent help, furniture, electric assistance and more. The Ministry is at 11202 Huffmeister Road, Houston, TX 77065.

Katy Christian Ministries is offered to residents of the city only, and this can include emergency rental assistance. The charity address is 5504 First Street, Katy, TX 77493. Everything from rent grants to home repairs, income subsidized housing and more is offered.. There is help for the low income, immigrants, single mothers, and struggling renters. Call 281-391-9623.

Interfaith Caring Ministries gives everything from emergency rental assistance to tenants with pay or quit or eviction notices to scholarships, including to immigrants and Spanish speakers. Get referrals to supportive housing for seniors, disability grants, free furniture for an apartment and more. the location is 151 Park Avenue, Houston, Texas 77059. Call (281) 332-3881.

Bread Of Life provides financial help for mortgages, rent, motel rooms, and other bill paying programs from 2019 Crawford Street, Houston, TX 77002. Call (281) 223-3190.

St. Justin Martyr Social Ministry has limited money to help the poor, vulnerable and others pay their rent. Dial (281) 556-5116. Note the assistance is first come-served. Tenants can only get rent, energy bill, or security deposit help at most twice per year. The location is 13350 Ashford Point Drive, Houston, TX 77082.

MAM, or Memorial Assistance Ministries requires an appointment. Proof of income, residency in Harris County, employment and assets is required in order to get rental assistance or other support. The charity is at 1625 Blalock Road, Houston, Texas 77080. Call (713) 468-4516.

Daya is for victims of domestic or sexual violence only who are also from Asia. Free legal aid, homeless shelters, low income housing, rent help, mental health support, emergency motel vouchers and more. Call (713) 842-7222 if facing violence.

Christian Community Service Center is a faith based charity, but they help people with rent or bills, regardless of their age, gender, race, immigration statuses and languages. Call (713) 961-3993. The emergency services combine short term, one time financial aid with case management and guidance. The non-profit is at 3230 Mercer St, Houston, TX 77027

Julia C Hester House only support families (or individuals) in the zip codes of 77013, 77016, 77020, 77026, 77028, or 77093. Tenants, the elderly, Spanish speakers and others can dial (713) 672-2573 for hardship grants to help pay rent. Location is 2020 Solo Street, Houston, TX 77020.





Braes Interfaith Ministries also provides financial resources for a limited area of Harris County, including the zip codes of 77025, 77035, 77045, 77051, 77053, 77054, 77071, 77085, or 77096. When qualified, there are crisis funds for paying any rental or utility arrears. Or get free food or clothes or appliances. There are also volunteers that give legal tips or address landlord-tenant disputes - all this is combined with the money to assist with rent. Address is 4300 W. Belfort, Houston, TX 77025. Call (713) 723-1945

HIS, or Houston Independent School District offers financial aid (even for rent) for people in the region, including zip codes of 77007, 77008, 77009 and 77045. Call (713) 222-8903. There are also computers, food programs, uniforms and more. But a major goal is to prevent homelessness of students, so rent, utility, and deposit help is offered. The office is at 4040 W Fuqua St, Houston, Texas 77045.

HAAM, or Humble Area Assistance Ministries, is for the city of Humble Texas in Harris County. A wide variety pf social services, public benefits, and financial resources (grants or loans) are offered. Get furniture, rental assistance, money for utilities, resoursing, and more. They even offer support on getting identification documents, which can help clients apply for rent or government subsidized housing. Location is 1302 1st E St, Humble, TX 77338. Dial (281) 446-3663

Veterans Of Foreign Wars Houston helps military service members, veterans of foreign wars, and their families that are residents of Harris County. Whether it is VA benefits, government grants, job programs, or rental assistance, support is offered from 1214 Maxey Rd, Houston, TX 77015. Many other veteran programs are offered too, including VA benefits. Call (713) 453-1320.

Pasadena Community Ministries supports families, individuals, and low income residents of the city. Based on resources, there may be grant money for paying rental arrears or a security deposit. Utility bill help, free furniture for a home, and other housing resources may also be offered from Queens Park, 2301 S Houston Rd, Pasadena, Texas 77502. Telephone number is (713) 477-4336.

Saint Vincent de Paul Churches are located in Harris County. Programs are very limited by funding levels, and many tenants will not be able to receive help. Resources may include emergency rental help for those at risk of evictions or homelessness. The non-profit, charitable SVDP assists with a persons permanent housing with short term utility assistance or rent.

Additional services from the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul include furniture for a home or apartment and clothing vouchers, but cannot offer assistance for homeless. All applications are assessed on a one-off basis. The parishes that partner with the SVDP charity distribute rental assistance, funding or free vouchers to those in the parish of the church where they are in residence.

There are no locations to visit. You must have a physical address to receive assistance and not be in a motel or hotel. In the Area of Houston  (dial (713) 741-8234) there is no other number or location to go to. Call that number to be directed to the volunteers from the church closest to you who would schedule to make a visit to you in order to determine your short or long term housing and rent needs.

The Salvation Army-Greater Houston and Harris County Area Command can be contacted at (713) 752-0677 or 713-658-9205 . They also administer the emergency shelter and food grant program. Other housing resources include shelter, transitional units, and eviction prevention services. Limited emergency rental arrears payment assitance may be offered.

  • Another emergency financial aid social service site is at 2732 Cherrybrook Lane, Pasadena, TX 77502. Phone - (713)378-0020.
  • 1500 Austin St, Houston, Texas 77002. Call (713) 223-8889

Harris County Community and Economic Development Department
8410 Lantern Point Dr., Houston, TX, 77054. Call (713) 578-2000
Federal government funds may be used to provide grants for paying rent and other needs, such as energy costs or home repairs. Or try the City of Houston Housing and Community Development Department, which has an office at at 601 Sawyer, Houston, Texas 77007. Call (713) 865-9314.

Houston Coalition for the Homeless is a source of information on eviction help. The regional agency can offer tenants in rent arrears information on non-profits to call for emergency help. A priority is on the vulnerable such as single parents with children or the disabled with a source of income. Also, the homeless may receive rehousing assistance, including vouchers for a night or so in a local motel, money for rental or utility deposits, and placement into shelter. More on Houston Eviction Prevention and Rapid Rehousing.







Lone Star Legal Aid - Houston
1415 Fannin, Houston, TX, 77002. Dial (713) 652-0077 for free legal aid.
Low to moderate income families may receive free legal aid or representation. They help with housing discrimination, can represent tenants in housing court, offer landlord-tenant mediation services and more.

Northwest Assistance Ministries is located in Houston on Kuykendahl Street. Everything from free furniture for a home or apartment is given to deport help (both rent and utilities), mortgage help and more. They also take part in the TDHCA Emergency Solutions Grants program. Also get help from transitional housing or shelters. The location is 15555 Kuykendahl Rd, Houston, TX 77090. Dial (281) 885-4555 or (281) 583-5600.

Service of the Emergency Aid Resource Center for the Homeless
2505 Fannin, Houston, Texas 77002. Main phone - (713) 739-7752
Often the homeless lack the cash to pay a rental or utility deposit for their home home. There are government agencies and charities in Harris County Texas that may help with this cost. Find assistance with paying security deposits.

Harris County Housing Authority (HCHA) runs the section 8 voucher program in Texas. Grants are used for paying a portion of rental costs. The government affiliated agency can also help place residents into low income or rent subsidized apartments, help with home buying, and provide referrals. There is a waiting list for this rental assistance, with priority given to seniors and the disabled. Address is 8933 Interchange Dr., Houston, Texas 77054, dial 713.578.2100

  • Another option is the Housing Authority of the City of Houston, which also runs the section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program for the city only. There is also an emergency service for the disabled and elderly. This PHA is at 2640 Fountain View Drive, Houston, TX 77057. Call (713) 260-0600.

Outreach Center from My Brothers Keepers- Care Ministry
12713A Bissonnet Street, Houston, TX 77099 as well as 12621 Bissonnet St, Houston, Texas 77099.. Phone - 281-498-9933
Provides limited rent assistance. A partial payment may be available for Harris County families facing homelessness. Seniors, the disabled, and other working poor may qualify.

Waller Assistance and Restoration Ministry
Address is 31315 FM 2920, Waller, TX 77484. Phone (936)372-5173
Emergency rent assistance may be offered from time to time, to tenants with an eviction or pay or quit notice,. There is also housing help for immigrants and/or migrant workers.

West Houston Assistance Ministries is a wide ranging charity/social service agency located at 10501 Meadowglen Lane, Houston, TX 77042. The western part of Houston is covered by the charity-church. One time rent or mortgage help, free food, job programs, assistance for immigrants and other housing resources are offered. For those that go through one on one case management, there may be financial help for paying rental arrears or other housing costs. Also get seasonal programs, information on legal defense services and other aid. Dial (713) 780-2727 or (713) 977-9942.

Women In Poverty provides rent, utility and other assistance to women. Call (713) 882-3640. There is help for single moms, women fleeing domestic violence, and migrant or Spanish speaking women. Grants for rent, clothes, food, transition housing and more is offered. They work to stop homelessness of women in Harris County. Or find other back rent assistance for single moms.

Brentwood Community Foundation
Main address - 13033 Landmark St, Houston, TX 77045. Call 713-852-2551 or (713) 852-2559
Assistance is for income qualified people living with HIV/AIDS as well as their immediate family members. Rent help, transitional housing for men, mortgage programs, and support groups are available.

City of Pasadena Community Development Department has referrals to federal government homeless prevention and rehousing programs. Location is 1114 Davis Street, Pasadena, Texas 77502. Phone (713) 475-7294

Alliance of Community Assistance Ministries (ACAM) of Greater Houston
They only give referrals to their partners in Harris County. Call (713) 640-5192, Charity is at 710 North Post Oak Road, Houston, Texas 77024.




Local churches with housing resources

There are several churches that help the poor, homeless, immigrants (documented or not) and vulnerable. Whether it is a few dollars to pay some rent or free blanket for the homeless, or assistance for immigrants or short term housing, they try to help people in the region.

  • Saint Joseph Catholic Church only helps low income and/or struggling tenants in the zip codes of 7007, 77008, and 77009 as part of Houston Independent School District. The church is at 1505 Kane Street, Houston, Texas 77007. Call (713) 222-8903. Or try the application site at 4040 W Fuqua St, Houston, TX 77045.
  • St. Pius Catholic Church is at 824 Main St, Pasadena, Texas 77506. Financial assistance for rent, utilities, moving, car repairs and more at most once every 12 months. Call (713) 473-9484
  • The Power Of Life Fellowship Church helps people in the zip code. Rent, food, spiritual counseling and more from 3229 Hadley, Houston, TX 77004. Call (713) 659-7750
  • United Methodist Church is located at 12401 1/2 South Post Oak Road, Houston, TX 77045 . Call 713-551-8792. Loans for housing or rental expenses, information on shelter and transitional apartment, and basic needs such as clothing may be offered.
  • Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church, Main address is 3826 Wheeler Avenue, Houston, TX 77004. The social service and housing center is at (713) 748-5240.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Additional Local Programs

Financial Help Near You

Rent Payment Assistance Near You

Free Food Near You

Utility Assistance Near You

Free Stuff Near You















Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site