latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Assistance programs in Greene, Madison, and Orange Virginia.

Get information on various financial assistance programs, how to get help with bills, and government support. Many options are available for the low income, working poor, unemployed, and others who need help. Find programs for paying rent, debt and foreclosure counseling, energy bills, and much more.

Help for energy bills and weatherization programs

Greene County Social Services - If you are faced with an emergency and have no other options, or have used up all other options, then this program may be for you. Some of the emergencies that may be covered by this program include get help for lack of heat or lack of way to pay a cooling bill, if a utility cut-off is imminent then assistance may be available, and get help if you have inoperable or unsafe heating equipment.

A Crisis Assistance service is also provided, and may include cash for the payment of utility security deposit,  purchase of primary home heating fuel, funds for the purchase of portable space heater or air conditioner, free fans for the summer, payment for emergency shelter, payment of primary heat utility bill, repair or replacement of heating equipment, and/or provision of supplemental heating equipment/maintenance. Dial (434)985-5246

Weatherization programs are offered by Community Energy Conservation Program. Get energy conserving updates for the homes of low-income clients, including heating or air conditioning system repair or replacement for residents of the counties of Greene, Madison, and Orange.  Call (434)293-3777.

Rent, energy and housing assistance in Greene, Madison, and Orange Counties

If you need help with paying rent or are facing an eviction, Mercy House, Inc. runs the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing Program. Funds are available to help individuals and families who are struggling with paying their rent, or if they are already homeless. Get access to short-term, temporary crisis assistance. Resources can help with rent, utility bills, first months rent, and security deposits, among other aid. Dial (540)432-1812, or find Mercy House assistance programs.

G.R.A.C.E. of Stanardsville Baptist Church offers emergency financial assistance for people who need help. Call (434)985-6792. May have money for rent and/or utility bills and food.




Salvation Army Madison - The non-profit provides support services, counseling, guidance and offers financial assistance to families or individuals with sudden emergencies. Programs include help for utilities, rent, holiday expenses and meals, prescriptions, and more. There are also various seasonal programs rsnging from free school supplies for students to Angel Tree and Thanksgiving food baskets. Or use homeless shelters or Salvation Army thrift stores for shopping. The address is Madison Virginia. (540)948-5521

Regional Thanksgiving and Christmas programs start up in September or so. They not only provide food or serve hot holiday meals to the poor and homeless, but kids can also register for free Christmas toys, stocking stuffers, and households may even be given a tree for their home. The main service is Toys for Tots. Learn more.

Orange County residents only can turn to the Christian Emergency Council. This is local churches that are working together to help the less fortunate, working poor, unemployed and others. Various social services can be provided, based on need and resources available. There is a (1) free community clinic for dental as well as medical needs including free prescription drugs (2) free basic needs such as clothes or food (3) emergency one time financial help for rent, utility bills and other costs. Other outreach and social services can be offered as well, and one church to try is St. Thomas's Episcopal Church, 119 Caroline St., Orange, VA 22960. Call 540-672-3761.

Help from Skyline Community Action Partnership

This non-profit is the local community action agency for the region. There are a number of resources offered in the region, including Head Start and Healthy Families, with both focus on children. Project Discovery is also outreach to students.





Housing resources from Skyline CAP also include section 8 housing. They can either provide a voucher as a form of subsidy. The federal government HUD section 8 resource is also administered, and this offers low income apartments to the low income. (More on Virginia section 8).

Another service can offer counseling to homeowners so they can avoid mortgage foreclosure and also get assistance in resolving landlord/tenant questions and fair housing questions. The agency is located in Stanardsville Virginia. Call (434)985-3916, or read Skyline Community Action Agency.

Health care from clinics

Greene Care Clinic, which is located in Stanardsville, offers free or low cost medical care to low to moderate income individuals and families who live in Greene County Virginia that do not have health insurance and are not covered by government insurance such as Medicaid. Click here for more information on clinics, or call (434)985-7000

Patients with no or limited insurance, and who are considered low income, can contact the Madison Free Clinic. The community clinic provides dental and medical care and free services to the under insured as well as uninsured residents of Madison County Virginia that fall below 150% of the Federal Poverty Level guidelines. No one is turned away and all people can qualify for health care. (540)948-3667

Another option is the Orange County Free Clinic, Inc., which is another location that can offer free medical care and prescription medications for uninsured or under-insured residents. Dental care is no longer offered. Call (540) 672-0793

Food banks in the community

Get a listing of where to turn to for free food. Or learn more on Virginia food banks, free soup kitchens for hot meals and emergency pantries.

Love Outreach Food Pantry, Inc. is a site that provides supplemental and emergency food and groceries for needy families in Orange County Virginia. (540)672-3544

Get a meal and free emergency food from Feed My Sheep ((540)832-3368) of Gordonsville.





Caring Friends Food Pantry Madison County is a food pantry for the needy. Dial (540)948-6028

G.R.A.C.E. Stanardsville Baptist provides both groceries and household items. (434)985-8000

Word of Deliverance & Helps Ministries can offer both food and clothing. (540)832-5460


By Jon McNamara














Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site