Dallas St. Vincent de Paul assistance programs.
While several resources are available in Dallas County from the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul, most of the services are focused on basic needs and are non-financial in nature. One key offering is the thrift store, which not only sells goods to the general public but also raises money to pay for many of the programs.
The organization helps qualified families and individuals of all backgrounds. The churches, staff, and volunteers that are part of the group provide person-to-person assistance to those in need or who are faced with a crisis. In addition, if the charity can't meet your needs, then the St. Vincent de Paul organization is strongly dedicated to working with other successful non-profit organizations, churches, and charities in an effort to provide referrals and information. So qualified clients can learn about necessary programs and services that operate across Dallas Texas. The charity can give them the tools to be successful and can also empower people to be self-sufficient over the long term.
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store in Dallas quickly developed a diverse collection of services and programs for clients and low income families. Much of the money that pays for these programs comes from the community and the goods they purchase at the store.
The store helps tens of thousands of families per year obtain the clothing and goods they need. The charity will also offer, or refer people to, financial and/or medical bill assistance. If your income is low enough, the St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store may have vouchers or gift certificates. For example, the center may pass out free clothing, furniture and other household items to those who are most critical.
The store will sell affordable, gently used but otherwise great merchandise. What is for sale will change daily and is really determined by donations, but it can include clothing, cribs, beds, shoes for children, school supplies and more. There are also daily, weekly, and monthly specials. The Dallas Texas locations will also offer discounts for students, seniors, the disabled and others. Not only does the thrift store provide all those benefits, but in addition each and every time you shop at St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store you are giving back to the local Dallas County community. What happens is that all net proceeds of each and every purchase pay for the financial assistance programs and other outreach services.
Some of the resources are known as so called Relief Programs. As indicated, the money comes from the store, local churches, and donations from individuals in the community.
- Back-2-School can help children and teenagers prepare for school. This can include clothing, free backpacks, shoes and other support. Having the proper attire can help a child build confidence when they attend a local Dallas County school. Find other free Christmas assistance in Dallas.
- Free holiday meals are offered during Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. This can include baskets, Turkeys and much more.
- The Christmas Shop can offer toys for children. Most of the assistance is provided by donations, so please contribute to St. Vincent if you can.
Education, employment, and financial literacy is always a key service from St. Vincent De Paul. These are really key to long term self-sufficiency and an increased income.
- Adult education is offered for seniors and people looking to gain a new skill.
- General Education Diploma (GED) or equivalent.
- Financial Empowerment, including credit repair, budget creation workshops, and debt reduction.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) for immigrants and others in Dallas who need to improve their use and understanding of English.
- Citizenship Preparedness Class is available for immigrants and refugees. This will include employment components too.
- Introduction to Computers, including software to use and internet access.
- The church based Saint Vincent may also have information on Internet and computer programs, including free Internet services.
- Parenting Course for new moms, dads and pregnant women.
- Proper nutrition on limited funds and how to feed your family.
Youth Enrichment is offered for students and children.
- Study Time is an after school tutoring program.
- The Dallas area Lunch Time is a nutrition program which provides both free lunch / snacks during the summer months as well as free after-school snacks.
- Programs for pre-schoolers, including information on Head Start in Dallas.
The main helpline for Saint Vincent De Paul in Dallas County is 469-607-0909. For more information on their assistance programs and other resources, call them for referrals and information.