latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Rental and housing assistance Charleston County South Carolina.

Find low income housing or emergency rental assistance in the Charleston County South Carolina region. The  agencies below specialize in offering this type of help. Programs can include section 8 housing vouchers, cash assistance to help with rent to prevent evictions, security deposits, and much more. Churches, charities, and government agencies can all assist. There is also rent help in nearby communities, including North Charleston and Mount Pleasant.

In addition to providing direct emergency rental or deposit assistance, many of the non-profits in Charleston County can also offer free advice, case management, information and general support or guidance. Low income families and individuals, along with seniors or the disabled, can find safe and affordable housing units or apartments. Or if you are currently in an apartment and need funds to pay rent in an emergency, some programs may be able to help with that need as well.

The demand for housing services in both the city as well as North Charleston is very high, and funding is limited. If you need grant or loan based rental assistance or help in finding low income housing or shelters, call one of the organizations below as soon as possible.

Catholic Charities – If you have an extreme emergency, this organization may be able to offer rent help, regardless of religion. Call (855)-377-7357, and address is 1662 Ingram Road, Charleston 29407.

Charleston Area Community Development Corporation – Offers first time homebuyer programs and general housing aid. Mailing address of the center is at 2146 Dorchester Road N. Charleston, South Carolina 29405, call (843) 747-3311

Public Housing Authorities in Charleston County are available. They administer Housing and Urban Development (HUD) programs, including section 8 vouchers. These are income based, in which the low income tenant pays up to 30% of their income for rent or bills. There are also emergency Section vouchers for the elderly and/or disabled.




  • Charleston County Housing Authority – Low income families can apply for rent and housing assistance from the federal government Section 8 housing resource. Programs are for low income families and public housing. Address - 2106 Mt. Pleasant Street Charleston, South Carolina 29403, call (843) 722-1942
  • City of Charleston Housing Authority – Offers permanent public housing. They also administer section 8 housing choice vouchers, which is an income based rent assistance program funded by HUD. Address 550 Meeting Street Charleston SC 29403, call (843) 723-4491 or (843) 720-3697.
  • North Charleston Housing Authority – This government agency provides the section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program and other government public housing for low income families. Main address is 2170 Ashley Phosphate Road, Suite 700 North Charleston, South Carolina 29418, dial (843) 747-1793

Charleston County Human Services – The non-profit agency provides emergency funding for paying rent, mortgage or energy bills. One of the resources is known as New Promise Permanent Housing Program, and this service provides permanent housing for the chronically homeless in Charleston South Carolina (includes domestic violence victims). The Human Services agency also provides services as well as rent and housing programs for low-income residents of Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester counties. The office is at 1069 King Street Charleston, SC 29403, dial (843) 724-6760

Free legal aid can help stop evictions or deal with housing discrimination. Or lawyers can help Charleston County SC families apply for housing programs, including section 8 or grants for rent. South Carolina Legal Services (2803 Carner Avenue, North Charleston, SC 29405, phone (843) 720-7044) as well as Pro-Bono Legal Services (111 Church St, Charleston, SC 29401, dial (843) 853-6456) have lawyers that can represent the low income and poor in housing court. They can help stop evictions and more.





Crisis Ministries – Provides Transitional Housing, Shelter, and other low income housing programs. There may also be government grants to help pay for mortgages, rent, or utilities. Mailing address is 573 Meeting Street, Charleston, South Carolina 29413-0038. The main phone line is (843) 723-9477

East Cooper Community Outreach (ECCO) – Offers rent assistance, with a focus on tenants in the eastern part of the county including Mt. Pleasant SC. Other programs can provide clothing, help for electric bills, educational opportunities, small household items, and furniture. Address is 1145 Six Mile Road, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466, phone (843) 849-9220

Humanities Foundation Inc is another social service agency that offers various assistance programs, including for rent, utilities, moving costs or security deposits. They are all focused on stopping homelessness. Case management and financial literacy is combined with funds to pay back rent. The address is 474 Wando Park Boulevard, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina 29494. Phone number is (843) 856-4120.

Trident Area Agency on Aging – Apply for and get information on rent payment assistance for seniors who are age 60+ who meet income guidelines. There is also supportive housing for the elderly or disabled. Location is 1360 Truxton Avenue, Suite 105, Charleston, SC 29405. Read more South Carolina Area Agencies on Aging and their programs.

Family Services, Inc. Homeownership Resource Center – The non-profit provides down payment and Closing Cost Assistance. The housing program provides financial assistance in offering home buying support for individuals and families. They also provide homebuyers education, credit repair, debt counseling and classes. (843) 735-7860

United Methodist Relief Center – May have limited funding for paying rent. Address is 690 Coleman Boulevard, Mount Pleasant, SC 29464-4018, (843) 884-4860

Florence Crittenton Programs of South Carolina – The agency offers housing and case management services. Participants and clients of the non-profit are expected to work and/or be enrolled in school. Income guidelines are in place. The center is at Nunan Street Project, 19 Saint Margaret Street, Charleston, SC 29403, call (843) 722-7526

Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society Charleston – Offers housing, rent payments, security deposits, and other financial aid for military members and their families. The mailing address is Naval Weapons Station, Bldg. 717, 1004 Jefferson Ave. Extension, Goose Creek, South Carolina 29445, call (843) 764-7662

Humanities Foundation – Can assist families with emergency financial and rent assistance as well as affordable long term housing. Address is 474 Wando Park Blvd., Suite 102, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464, call 843-284-5156.

John's Island Rural Housing Development – Low income/subsidized rental housing. Mailing address is 3624 Maybank Hwy, Johns Island, South Carolina 29455, dial (843) 559-3359





Liza’s Lifeline – Center provides emergency funds and grants for short term housing assistance or rent help for victims of domestic violence. Also, provides other emergency needs on a case by case basis to domestic violence victims. The non-profit is at 636-G Longpoint Road, #134, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464, call (843) 991-9085

Neighborhood House – Assistance programs include rent and electric bills. Also offers clothes, continuing education - GED preparation, computer classes, food pantry, and prescription medication expense assistance. Dial (843) 853-8329

Our Lady of Mercy Community Outreach – An extensive number of financial assistance programs are offered, including rent and utility bill payment assistance. Also runs a clothes closet, after school program, English as a Second language classes, food pantry, GED prep classes, and offers free prescription expense assistance. Location is 607 Johns Island, South Carolina 29457. Phone number is (843) 559-4109

Outreach Services of Charleston County. Client must have income (job, disability, etc.) and meet other eligibility requirements in order to get rent payment assistance. (843) 723-9285 ext. 10

Planter's Retreat – Accepts housing vouchers and provides low income housing. Location of the agency is 4370 Ladson Road, Summerville, SC 29456, phone (843) 832-6111

Assistance for the homeless and families facing eviction - Federal government HUD grants can assist with housing costs including rent, energy or water bills, and lease application fees. Non-profits will also offer legal aid and rehousing, such as money for paying a deposit or first months rental payment. Details on rent assistance from Tri-County Ministry.

Rural Mission – Emergency assistance with rent, utilities, and home repairs. Mailing address is 3429 Camp Care Rd., Johns Island, South Carolina 29455, call (843) 768-1720

Charleston County Salvation Army Service Unit – If you have an eviction notice, receive emergency rent help. Also provides assistance with clothing, food, and household items. They also have a men's shelter. Phone (843) 747-5271 ext. 17

Charleston South Carolina Housing Search is a free service that helps individuals and families locate affordable, low income homes and apartments. Some of the centers may have or accept cash funds or section 8 rental vouchers for rental assistance. They can also direct low income families, single moms and working poor to government grants for paying housing, rent, or deposit expenses. Call (877) 428-8844

South Carolina Victim Assistance Network (SCVAN) – Get information about shelter, food, clothing, home repairs, and rental grants. (888) 852-1900 or (803) 750-1200. Must have been the victim of a crime.

Telamon Corporation – Trident – People classified as being in poverty can get rent payment assistance, utility bill payment assistance. Also, employment, food, gas/bus fare, job training, relocation expenses. Call (843) 574-1864.







Tricounty Family Ministries – Runs transitional housing. Also provide housing and medical assistance, clothing, foreclosure counseling and a soup kitchen. Financial assistance may in some circumstances include rent & transportation. Address of the non-profit is 3349 Rivers Avenue, N. Charleston, South Carolina 29405, call (843) 747-1788.

Low income or short term housing in Charleston County SC

The organizations below, whether non-profit or government, all focus on providing safe, affordable housing. Some also operate homeless shelters or give out free motel vouchers. The short term housing is often combined with, when ready, funds to help pay for a security deposit or first months rent on a new home or apartment. Or get help in finding low income apartments without a waiting list.

Gardens at Montague - Offers affordable rental properties and low income housing. Main address is 4850 Upjohns Road N. Charleston, SC 29405 (843) 745-9885.

Good Neighbor Center – Transitional housing offered for veterans only. Also get free legal counseling, employment assistance and training. Address - 1905 Burton Lane, Charleston, South Carolina 29405-8315, main number (843) 566-1878

Grand Oak – Runs low income/subsidized rental housing for families with children and people over 55. Programs are for Charleston, Berkeley, Dorchester residents. The office is at 183 Magwood Drive, Charleston, South Carolina 29414, (843) 571-5225

Harvest Home – A Christian shelter for people in Summerville. Call (843) 817-6877, or the charity is at 821 Central Ave, Summerville, SC 29483.

My Sister's House – Runs a shelter. North Charleston, South Carolina 29415 (843) 744-3242

North Central Apartments – Low income government housing. Location is 1054 King Street, Charleston, SC 29403, (843) 571-5225

Ansonborough House - Seniors over 62 years old can access independent living. The non-profit gives priority to homeless or those living in unsafe or substandard housing. Applicants must be low income. Location is 71 Society Street, #100, Charleston, South Carolina 29401.

Interfaith Outreach Ministries – Provides food and shelter. Address is 107 Elks Lodge Lane, Summerville, SC 29483-3852, call (843) 486-0861

Rutledge Place Apartments – Offers low income housing. The center has an address of 554 Rutledge Ave., Charleston, SC 29403, (843) 571-5225





Kings Crossing – Offers low income subsidized rental housing and affordable units. Location is 723 King Street, Charleston, SC 29401, dial (843) 577-0879

Shady Grove Apartments – Low income housing units. Address is 1725 Savage Road, Charleston, South Carolina 29407, call (843) 571-5225

The Shires – Offers housing for Charleston, Berkeley, and Dorchester counties. Main office is at 1020 Little John Drive, Charleston, SC 29407, call (843) 852-5298.

By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site