Assistance programs Athens-Clarke County.
Find financial assistance programs in the Athens Georgia area run by churches, charities, and the government among others. Get help with utility bills, housing, and grocery expenses as well as grant money from the government in Clarke County. There is also free vouchers, applications to public aid and more. Get financial help near you in Clarke County GA.
Grant money is offered as well as free items for basic needs. Low income, the elderly or disabled can get everything from funds to back rent or electric bills to free food from a pantry. There is also free dental care, job programs, gas vouchers, as well as updates on the section 8 waiting list. All this is combined with loans or cash assistance in Athens - Clarke County for paying bills.
Financial assistance in Athens Georgia from charities and non-profit organizations
ACTION, Inc. has a number of social services. They help the unemployed, low-income and people living in poverty. Everything from emergency financial help to job training, budgeting and other programs are offered.
- ACTION Inc., is an Athens-based nonprofit organization that administers the LIHEAP heating bill program for 10 Northeast Georgia counties, including Clarke. Get funds to pay everything from light or heating bills to HVAC or furnace repairs.
- Referrals are given. Over 30 local churches, charities, government agencies and non profits can offer grants for utility bills, rent payments, or housing. There are also free heavy coats or a place to stay, and ACTION Inc gives information.
- People who need rent help, or are facing eviction can get assistance. There are programs, such as ESG grants, for for people whose landlords have given them eviction notices. Families, veterans or single mothers who are currently homeless can get help.
- Free clothes can be received, with a focus on for school or work needs. This organization maintains clothes closets that give away warm clothing to people who cannot afford it.
- Low-income housing, including section 8 vouchers, are available for private rented housing in Athens-Clarke County. ACTION helps people find and apply, or look here for current open section 8 waiting list.
Athens Salvation Army - This is the local center that is part of the statewide and national organization. There are numerous programs available here, the least of which is case management and referrals. Low income families can look into free food and groceries from the pantry or meals, including at Christmas. There are also free school supplies for students in Clarke County and free Christmas gift assistance.
- The Salvation Army may occasionally have funds for paying a portion of bills such as energy and rent in Athens Georgia. They also give out free Christmas gifts and toys from Adopt a Family as well as Thanksgiving turkey dinners. The Salvation Army, including the Family Store, is at 484 Hawthorne Ave., call (706) 543-5350. Read more on financial assistance from Salvation Army Clarke County.
Non-profit agencies for food assistance - A wide range of churches and pantries support the greater Clarke County community. Not only may they pass out a free box of groceries, but volunteers at the centers can also serve free Thanksgiving or Christmas meals and offer food to children and seniors. Find Athens and Clarke County free food pantries.
Emergency rent, security deposit, and housing assistance is for anyone facing eviction or the currently homeless. There are also resources focused on the disabled, elderly, as well as families living in poverty. Find details on loans, grants, and even free legal aid. More on Athens – Clarke County rent assistance.
Athens IHN - Interfaith Hospitality Network is a network of local churches. They offer a small shelter and stability services to clients. Other resources may also be provided to individuals, such as a meal or referrals to financial aid programs. Their clients may also be provided medications, emergency transportation, and other support.
- Family Promise of Athens (Interfaith Hospitality Network) has many emergency programs, including eviction prevention, free homeless shelter, food and more. Some limited funds to help pay back rent, electric bills or moving costs (to stop homelessness) are offered. Location is First Baptist Church at 355 Pulaski St, Athens, GA 30601. The phone number is (706) 425-1881, or click more details Interfaith Hospitality Network.
Bigger Vision of Athens is a short term housing program for the homeless, including women or men. The location is 95 North Ave, Athens, GA 30601. Access an emergency homeless shelter, free meals or food, clothes, and other support. Call (706) 340-6062.
Ebenezer Baptist Church West is part of the Athens-Clark County homeless coalition. They help the poor, single moms or dads, and the housing insecure get resources. Whether financial help for rent to free motel vouchers, or Rapid Rehousing, help is offered from 205 N Chase St, Athens, GA 30606. Call (706) 543-9644
Advantage Homeless Day Service Center provides help from 240 North Ave, Athens, GA 30601. A shower, laundry service, and helps getting identification (if needed). The shelter help families, including with kids, adults and other find a place to sleep stay. Dial (706) 354-1154
Beech Haven Baptist Church has emergency utility, light, and electric bill help. Funding is limited. Grants and other support will help seniors, the disabled and low-income. Call (706) 548-7084 or (706) 548-2246
First Christian Church of Athens has a thrift store, food pantry, furniture banks and soup kitchen to help low-income families. The charity is at 268 W. Dougherty St.. Call (706) 549-1915
Additional soup kitchens also give out free hot meals, including at breakfast, lunch or dinner. Healthy meals, sandwiches and other support is provided. Look here for more free meals near you.
Athens Area Homeless Shelter and food bank is located at 620 Barber St, Athens, GA 30601. Temporary housing as well as meals and hygiene stuff. Call (706) 354-0423. Or call the pantry at (706) 353-8182. The homeless can also seek vouchers as well, and look here for homeless motel vouchers.
Oconee Heights Baptist Church has limited social services from 4180 Jefferson Rd, Athens, GA 30607. Free groceries, baby stuff, school or work clothes and limited emergency financial aid. Dial 706) 548-4600 for details.
Project Safe Thrift Store sells bargain, gently used items. Get furniture, beds, mattresses, desks, computers and other items for a home or apartment. The location is 995 Hawthorne Ave #7, Athens, GA 30606. Call (706) 425-8863
Ark - United Ministry Outreach Center has people facing a financial hardship. There is immediate financial help for housing costs, including rent. Or get money for energy bills, medications, or free gas vouchers to get to a job. The location is 640-A Barber St., Athens, GA 30601. Call 706-548-8155.
DCF of Clarke County (Division of Family and Children Services) provides government benefits. Apply for SNAP food stamps or TANF cash assistance to pay bills. Medicaid, SSI grant money, job programs and more is offered, including Lifeline free government phones or bill assistance. The address is 284 North Ave, Athens, GA 30601. Phone: (706) 227-7024, or find a free iPhone in Georgia.
Live Forward only assists people with HIV-Aids. Transportation, free rides to the doctor, supportive housing and other programs are offered. Location is 2500 W Broad Street, Athens, GA 30606. Call 706-549-3730
Sparrow’s Nest Mission Church is at 745 Prince Ave, Athens, GA 30606. Call 706- 549 - 6693. The agency can provide help with IDs, Birth Certificates, and prescription assistance as well as food boxes.
Hill Chapel Baptist Church has a free clothing closet for adults and kids as well as pantry at 1692 W Hancock Ave, Athens, GA 30606. Call (706) 543-1377. They mostly offer a food bank that could have other items, such as clothing or personal hygiene goods.
Community Service is a free program. There are literally dozens of charities and other organizations in Athens Georgia that can provide help like money for utilities, emergency shelter, free clothes and food to struggling Athens-area residents this winter. The exact services, needs, resources and programs they offer, hours and eligibility requirements vary.
- There are regional community action agencies, non-profits, churches for the homeless and charities. Information can be obtained from an Infoline, and the location has referrals to a number of services for the low income, working poor, and elderly, among others. They can help with housing, which can include emergency homeless prevention or rent help. Other aid is indicated below.
The hotline location has information on government programs such as utility bill help from LIHEAP and SNAP food stamps. Case managers in Athen-Clarke County can help residents apply for these and other programs. Additional resources from the community service Infoline include Head Start and information on job training for the child’s parent. The agency is truly focused on helping individuals overcome their challenges. Read more on community services hotline.
Athens Area Homeless Shelter helps adults, veterans, and parents with kids in Clarke County. The location is 620 Barber St., Athens, Georgia 30601. For information on the emergency shelter the telephone number is (706) 354-0423.
Find free health care in Athens Georgia
The Athens’ Mercy Health Center provides free health care, including telehealth or basic dental, to Athens as well as Clark County Georgia area families. This is one of the most highly used free health care centers for the uninsured, low income, and people who need a walk-in medical center.
Athens Mercy Health Center uses volunteers to offer residents health care services, including even dental cleanings, and they charge patients either very little, or nothing, if they have no insurance or are homeless. They provide medical, psychiatry, eye exams, free or low-cost insulin and dental care for the families and individuals . The services offered include the following:
- Free medications, and coverage for pharmacy services for MHC patients. Learn more on free medications.
- Both emergency and primary medical care for children and adults
- Specialty medical clinics and also referrals on a case-by-case basis
- Spanish medical services as interpreters are located on site
- Dental cleaning and other services, including dentures for patients on Medicaid.
Their phone number is (706) 425-9445. Location is 700 Oglethorpe Ave c7, Athens, GA 30606. Or find additional ways to get free health care.
Related Content From Needhelppayingbills.com